Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,566 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Austin in July and will live in Tarrytown. Two of our children are competitive swimmers (ages 7 and 13). Any advice on year round swim teams in Austin? We prefer to keep the commute to practice short if possible. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 11:08 AM

361 posts, read 1,163,576 times
Feel free to send me a direct message for specific details. Nitro is one of the best teams in the state, winning the last 6 short and long course championships. They are not located conveniently to Tarrytown (I live in TTown too). Longhorn Aquatics used to be a top program but have slowly taken a slide. We ultimately did not choose LA even though they are convenient to tarrytown.

There are many other swim clubs in town. How competitive are your kids? A times or BB or B? Is the oldest kid serious about his/her swimming or doing it for fitness reasons?

Old 05-03-2013, 08:01 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times
Although TXLA (Longhorn Aquatics) may be geographically close, the hassle factor can be very high because of limited parking on the UT campus. You would likely buy an annual parking pass for ~ $150, but that still doesn't allow you to park at the pool before 5 p.m. on weekdays.

TXLA for some time has been an impersonal and elite-but-didnt'-deserve-the-attitude team. A new coach was hired last year so it might improve. To be determined. They still have some very good swimmers. Do not be deceived because many TXLA swimmers, usually male, show up at Olympic Trials. These swimmers are almost exclusively UT or post-grad UT swimmers that train with Eddie Reese, who does not train any age groupers. Some of the UT women and post-grad UT females swim with TXLA - but they train with the UT coach.

Nitro is the current big dog in Austin swimming. Two privately owned indoor 50M pools, neither close to Tarrytown. Well run program with many good coaches on staff.

Other programs that have been around for some time and worth considering:

Lost Creek Aquatics
Texas Gold
Weiss and Weiss - kind of a boutique team, not especially serious

West Austin was once worthy, but they are essentially defunct now. Circle C has a new program, but I don't know anything about them.

Might also look at South Texas Swimming which is focused on South Texas swimming. Some of the info at this site is out of date.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:27 PM

8 posts, read 8,233 times
I am interested in competitive age group swim teams for my 10 year old. Moving from CO and he would have all TAGS SCY state cuts. Prefer something convenient to Westlake area. Seems Nitro and TXLA are my options. Any update on TXLA?

Old 05-26-2017, 08:40 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,574,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplant1 View Post
I am interested in competitive age group swim teams for my 10 year old. Moving from CO and he would have all TAGS SCY state cuts. Prefer something convenient to Westlake area. Seems Nitro and TXLA are my options. Any update on TXLA?
Did you find a team?

Old 06-04-2017, 07:44 AM

8 posts, read 8,233 times
Sputnik,
He swam at Nitro and ASC for a practice. Really liked both. The teams are very different (one really large, one small) but both have great coaches and nice kids from what we can tell. Logistics from our home are equal so trying to figure out a deciding factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin