Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2006, 02:13 PM

46 posts, read 599,536 times

Advertisements

First I would like to say I really enjoy the forums. The guidance posters give is very helpful. Austin seems like an awesome city. But, in learning about the city I have become concerned about issues with flooding.
http://www.floodsafety.com/texas/reg...ustin_zone.htm

How would the posters who are Austin residents assess the flooding situation? And should I be concerned about relocating there because of this? It seems every 10-15 years Austin has a devastating flood. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2006, 02:43 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,563,434 times
Default That's PREMIER Flash Flood Alley

The Austin to San Antonio corridor is the PREMIER flash flood alley in America. I know one woman who got out of her car to wade to the yard of a house. They found her body the next Spring as she, obviously, could not fight the current.
It is serious.
In 2001, when I was there, the floods shown on the tv had the water coming to the bottom of the ROOFS of the houses in San Antonio. Didn't look quite that bad in Austin; however, neighbors of mine in the same flood period in Houston with just a foot of water in their houses had problems IF they could not get a contractor over to their homes to repair VERY quickly. If your house was not being fixed after about a month or so, the wait was about 9 months so they said on the newscasts.
I, personally, had a neighbor with a foot and a half of water in her house. She could not find anyone to repair the sheetrock (a tear out and build out job) or her flooring right away. She LOST the entire house, and it had to be torn down. She had no flood insurance, which costs about $250 a year (or did then). Stooooopid.
Just make sure you aren't in line with flooding, BUY FLOOD INSURANCE (I cannot emphasize it enough, and have brought this up before on this board), and--if building--make sure your pier and beam home is high, high, high.
This, however, would not discourage me from moving to Austin as, yes, it is a cool city and you can check on the flooding to make sure you are going to be okay beforehand. Just use your head, and you will be fine....and don't get out of your car when the water is up to the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUDavidBanner View Post
First I would like to say I really enjoy the forums. The guidance posters give is very helpful. Austin seems like an awesome city. But, in learning about the city I have become concerned about issues with flooding.
http://www.floodsafety.com/texas/reg...ustin_zone.htm

How would the posters who are Austin residents assess the flooding situation? And should I be concerned about relocating there because of this? It seems every 10-15 years Austin has a devastating flood. Thank you.

Old 10-08-2006, 03:16 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,278,452 times
When we bought our house, there was a disclosure provided that stated our house is not in a FEMA designated flood hazard zone. You can also access maps online that show where various flood zones are all over the country.

For city of Austin, you can look at these maps to determine where the greatest hazards are. You can even put in an exact address! They were updated just in March of 2006 so the data should be pretty accurate (of course, it is FEMA, though... )

http: // www.ci.austin.tx.us/watershed /floodplain_newmap.htm

Old 10-08-2006, 05:11 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,843 times
I live in SA and we have flash flooding all the time not a reason not to move to the area. Just locate the flood prone areas and crossing and don't drive through any water. The flood plain map is a good start but I would also ask neighbors and people in the area have they flooded before.

Old 10-08-2006, 09:51 PM

92 posts, read 673,615 times
Default Flash floods, yes, but....

As the terrain in and around Austin is hilly and varies considerably,
you can find some pretty safe spots if you do your research.

Wouldn't let it deter me from moving to this area.
(I already did, and love it!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: