Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 08:02 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,188,633 times

Advertisements

What is the Anderson Mill neighborhood like? It looks quite affordable on austinhomesearch.com, especially when you contrast it to the Balcones neighborhood just to the south of it.

I see it has Anderson Mill Elementary whereas the Balcones neighborhood has Spicewood Elementary. They are both good schools so I'm wondering why Anderson Mill is so much cheaper to buy a house than the Balcones neighborhood.

Anyone?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 10:55 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,976,831 times
My mom lives in Anderson Mill. She loves it. She's been in AM for about 25 years. I still remember how mad my dad was when it got annexed by the City of Austin. Her neighbors are long term players like herself. It is a nice place to live and close to the technology firms and major employers near Research/Mopac. It's a hike downtown but it is all good.

Lakeline mall has added a lot of traffic. The area has changed. But it is a nice, safe place.

I can't comment on schools since I don't have children.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:58 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,660,788 times
The short distance further out can make a noticeably longer commute if you are driving downtown. Also, although I think the houses are from the same 'era', the homes in BW were originally higher dollar homes. BW is a little older and appears to have slightly larger lots, but that could be an incorrect impression. Anyway, it APPEARS to have more space, and there are some huge trees in BW compared to AM.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:49 AM

1,035 posts, read 4,467,932 times
Once you drive through the two neighborhoods you'll know why. Although AM has some nice streets in it, it has a large number of starter homes and although many have been updated and are quite nice, some have not. Many are rentals. Most of these homes are one-side or 1/2 side masonry. BW is a country club neigborhood with larger lots and very well kept homes. I wouldn't hesitate to buy in AM though if you find a house you like...the location and schools are so good that the neighborhood will continue to improve.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:43 AM

The Balcones neighborhood seemed really nice when we visited but it seemed to be a lot of retired folks playing golf. I didn't see many kids running around. Is AM less stuffy and more family friendly?

I do like a nicer house on a larger lot though...

Old 10-26-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta hope View Post
Is AM less stuffy and more family friendly?
Yes, lots of neighborhood parks, pools, schools, churches and young families. Another neighborhood in the area is Barrington Oaks...it has homes similar to AM but its on the other side of Balcones. Did you get to drive through that area? Its at Jollyville/Oak Knoll and used to be priced less than BW but its been awhile since I've paid attention to home prices around there so I'm not sure. (That's where we started out when we first moved to Austin.)

Old 10-26-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastea View Post
Yes, lots of neighborhood parks, pools, schools, churches and young families. Another neighborhood in the area is Barrington Oaks...it has homes similar to AM but its on the other side of Balcones. Did you get to drive through that area? Its at Jollyville/Oak Knoll and used to be priced less than BW but its been awhile since I've paid attention to home prices around there so I'm not sure. (That's where we started out when we first moved to Austin.)
My agent took me to see houses in BW but not the surrounding neighborhoods. We were looking in the $325-350K range. If the others are cheaper, she wouldn't have wanted to take me there!

Old 10-26-2007, 11:41 AM

They must be less then!

Sometimes agents narrow things down TOO much. I guess a principle of sales sometimes is don't give 'em too many choices. I used to do fragrance modeling and the sales lady would get mad if I offered a customer a sample if she already had that person trying to choose between perfume A or B. I only did it when I noticed the customer didn't REALLY like either one! (They usually bought mine and the saleslady still got the commission. )

Old 10-27-2007, 08:28 AM
fil

364 posts, read 1,628,062 times
Anderson Mill road has also been in construction since we moved here and traffic between 620 and 183 is nuts.

We live on the other side of Anderson Mill on the McNeil/Spicewood Springs-side and what a difference 1 mile makes in commute. It's a pain every time I drive to my gym on 620 and AM road.

Our realtors did not take us to where we now live. If you can afford a little more, check out Tree Bend [whatever]. Homes were built 2001+ and range from $450-$800K and are pretty nice.

If you look at the Northern edge of Great Hills--Yaupon, Cassia, Fire Oak, etc.--you may find homes in your price range.

Balcones are older homes.
The Mountain and Spicewood Estates were built in the 1990's and are decent.

All in all, this area is about proximity and land value...location.

We love being central to most things in Austin with quick access to 183, 620, and 45.

Old 10-27-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fil View Post
Anderson Mill road has also been in construction since we moved here and traffic between 620 and 183 is nuts.

We live on the other side of Anderson Mill on the McNeil/Spicewood Springs-side and what a difference 1 mile makes in commute. It's a pain every time I drive to my gym on 620 and AM road.

Our realtors did not take us to where we now live. If you can afford a little more, check out Tree Bend [whatever]. Homes were built 2001+ and range from $450-$800K and are pretty nice.

If you look at the Northern edge of Great Hills--Yaupon, Cassia, Fire Oak, etc.--you may find homes in your price range.

Balcones are older homes.
The Mountain and Spicewood Estates were built in the 1990's and are decent.

All in all, this area is about proximity and land value...location.

We love being central to most things in Austin with quick access to 183, 620, and 45.
What is the commute time to downtown from Anderson Mill?

We can't make it up to $400K with the property taxes. If we stayed here in Atlanta we could... I hate that we have to scale back to accomodate for the expensive tax. Granted there is no state income tax -- but heck, I'm a stay at home mom, that doesn't help me any!?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: