Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 07:24 PM

675 posts, read 1,905,874 times

Advertisements

Sorry to post so many questions tonight. I have been hearing/ reading for 2+ years now that a Chuy's would be going in at the Shops at Arbor Trails on William Cannon/ Mopac. Has anyone heard about this lately? I've seen a sign for a Cheddars under construction. (Blech! Just what southwest Austin needs, a Dallas generic chains like in Round Rock!) Also I'd heard a Manga Pizza was going in there but now i see someplace called Red Brick Pizza. And that Village Inn is HIDEOUS. Is anyone else disappointed in the Shops at Arbor Trails? I just thought it would have more local/ interesting stuff but it seems to be trending very low-end, lowest common denominator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 07:26 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,281,831 times
Well, they have a Potbelly, and that makes it okay by me

Old 10-06-2007, 08:00 PM

They do? That's news to me. Since when?

Old 10-06-2007, 08:04 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,436,440 times
Potbelly is at Arbor Walk which is in North Austin. I think they are confused with S. Austin Arbor Trails.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:29 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,325,114 times
Arbor Trails is at Braker and Mopac, right north of 183. Potbelly is the best!!! They have another one going in at 35th and Lamar,by central market. I love the live music...but Thundercloud is still my favorite!

Old 10-06-2007, 08:56 PM

Braker and Mopac = NOT Arbor Trails. It's Arbor WALK

Old 10-06-2007, 08:58 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,067,040 times
Quote:
Blech! Just what southwest Austin needs, a Dallas generic chains like in Round Rock!
Actually, of the three Cheddars in the area, 2 already have Austin addresses, and not a one in Round Rock!

Find cheddars in Austin Restaurants on Citysearch (http://austin.citysearch.com/yellowpages/results/Austin_TX/cheddars/page1.html?flavor_id=2 - broken link)

Old 10-06-2007, 08:59 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,325,114 times
Arbor Something at Braker and Mopac...with lots of stores. Is there another Arbor somewhere?

Old 10-07-2007, 07:32 AM

1,207 posts, read 6,281,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
Braker and Mopac = NOT Arbor Trails. It's Arbor WALK
Sorry. I misread.

Sheesh.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:47 PM

105 posts, read 665,765 times
Default Looking for more Locals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
Is anyone else disappointed in the Shops at Arbor Trails? I just thought it would have more local/ interesting stuff but it seems to be trending very low-end, lowest common denominator.
I feel your pain!

I've owned a small business for about 3 years now, and I have become very active in several networking groups for small business owners in Austin. In this process, I have learned a bit about how businesses decide where to locate. There are many factors considered, but it basically boils down to "Where can our business succeed?"

I used to think that was code for, "Where can I make millions of $$$ and retire early?" But, I have come to learn that most business owners are just trying to make a decent living and put away enough money to pay for their kids' college and a decent retirement home---like everyone else.

So, when it comes to picking a location for a small/ local business, it often comes down to affordability. Just like a family picking a house, car or any other large purchase, business owners try to lease the best space they can afford.

And, in general, new developments like Arbor Trails are simply priced too high for smaller/ local businesses to afford. (Witness the locally-owned gym that has already closed in Escarpment Village--they just coudn't keep that huge rent bill covered.)

Even if the rental rate is reasonable, the developer may require a financial statement showing access to huge amounts of capital--as a "cushion against default"-- that small businesses simply don't have.

I know someone who inquired about space in another popular shopping center in southwest Austin. They were astounded to discover that the owner wanted one Billion $$--yes, that's a "B"--in creditworthiness and a personally-guaranteed 10-year lease for someone to rent the space. I predict that space will be vacant for a LONG time, and when it finally gets leased, it will be by a "boring, lowest common denominator national chain".

There are a couple of exceptions that I know of. (Endeavor Real Estate Group makes a real effort to recruit local businesses for their projects.) But for the most part, the newer/ prettier shopping centers will be occupied by boring, national chains with "deep pockets" and the smaller, local businesses will cluster in older, second-tier centers that they can afford.

As much as I would like to, I can't really blame the developers too much. If I were renting a house to someone, I would pick the most stable candidate with a solid job, so I could be reasonably comfortable that they could pay the rent. But it does make for boring, homogenous shopping and restaurants that most of us moved to Austin to get away from.

I wonder......if the developers are just wanting to build a successful center, would they accept input from the local residents--whom they hope to court as customers---as to what businesses WE would like to patronize?

Just a thought......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin