Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2006, 10:05 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,484,448 times

Advertisements

When does the heat end for you folks in Austin??? I see that it's still in the 90s nearly every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2006, 10:11 PM

806 posts, read 2,887,075 times
When the cows come home or UT beats OU again...

Old 09-22-2006, 10:21 PM

92 posts, read 674,193 times
Default Heat relief in Austin?

In a word, unpredictable.
It was about 96 today.
For several nights in a row, we've had temps in the 50's...now nights are in the mid 70's.
We sometimes have some cold fronts passin through in August..moderately rare, and short-lived, but a nice respite from the heat.
A few more cold fronts in Sept, but again, usually short lived. I believe we've already had two this Sept, and another tomorrow (Sat) eve, whiich often brings rain when the cold air hits the warm, moist air coming our way from the Gulf of Mexic.
October, generally begins to cool a bit, but again, unpredictable.
Even by December, we sometimes have days in the 80's-90's. Sometimes in the 30's, but not usually below freezing for more than a few days in a row.
Jan and Feb quite unpredictable.'
Thiink it was two Febs ago, we had record setting 100 days, and within a week, had several consecutive days in the 20's.
Like much of Texas, like Texans say: if you don't like the weather, just wait a few minutes or days.
And if you're coming to Central Texas, don't forget to bring all your allergy meds!
And if you haven't read it in the posts already, before moving to anywhere in Texas, do your homework about having any prescription medicines somehow transferred to Texas if possible. Has never applied to me (as I've lived here all my life), and don't know the details, but have heard numerous stories from out of staters moving to Texas, being caught off guard, to find that Texas won't honor refills from out of state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
When does the heat end for you folks in Austin??? I see that it's still in the 90s nearly every day.

Old 09-23-2006, 07:17 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,340,727 times
Default The Heat Has Ended!

The heat has ended, it's only in the 90's now

Old 09-23-2006, 08:19 AM

164 posts, read 728,205 times
Default Heat? What heat?

So yesterday was a little warm, when my thermometer in the sun read 100 in the late afternoon. But this isn't hot for us. It's humid, and the ragweed has some folks feeling a little puny, but, no, it's not summer any longer.

For traditional fall weather, you have to wait for Halloween. Most years, though there are exceptions, it gets cold right around Halloween. I know this after many years of creating some great but skimpy costume and freezing my buns off on Sixth Street. Now with the kiddo, I'm buying child-size thermals to go under her princess costume.

But like the previous poster said, we could also have high 90s in October. A couple years ago it snowed one early morning in February (remember that, people!), and by afternoon the snow had melted and we were all outside in shorts.

All in all, it's a crapshoot.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:16 AM

944 posts, read 3,957,620 times
October.

Sure, we get an occasional 90-degree day in October, but it's unusual and the nights are generally cool. From here to mid-May it's nothing but pure heaven!

Old 09-26-2006, 12:08 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,689,760 times
Quote:
and the nights are generally cool
I think that is the key difference in 'seasons' around here. The days will still get hot occasionally year 'round - over the years, I have seen my share of days hit 90 in December - but the nights will get cooler and the days less humid. The southeast winds will be less common and bring less moisture, and the northwestern winds will brind in cooler, dryer air at night.

Old 09-26-2006, 01:49 PM

944 posts, read 3,957,620 times
Yes, it can hit (rarely) the 90s in every month of the year in Austin, but the great thing about heat outside of summer is that you know it's going to go away quickly. Winters in Austin are simply spectacular, if you like variety in weather. Each year is different, and within each winter you get constant changes. You'll get a freezing rain and the roads will all close, and then 2 days later it's in the 70s, then maybe you get a day of cool rain, then some bright blue skies with brisk north winds, the variety spices things up.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:19 PM

20 posts, read 50,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
HEAT? What heat?

To quote Garrison Keillor, August in Texas is proof of an angry God.

Bayou Bill

Old 09-27-2006, 04:06 PM

138 posts, read 751,393 times
When does it get cool. There are usually a couple of cold days in February. Seriously, we are in the 90's now in East Texas. 1980 had over 90 straight days of 100+ with some at 114. If you are looking for cool weather, Texas is not the place to look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: