Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 11:46 PM

27 posts, read 54,578 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
Thanks once again for all your input. Yes, we have Senna Hills on our radar also and looked at one there today. The $575 in Barton Creek West went under agreement on day one but the seller is represented by a relo company so it won't indicate that for a few more days . . . .

My husband did a bunch of different commutes to SA this week from different areas and it does seem that Circle C may make the most sense. Plus, I keep hearing all the same things - that all those schools - Baldwin, Gorzcyki and Bowie are solid. I guess there is SO much positive ravings about Eanes ISD and since I don't come from the area, I don't know how critical those ravings are and what the true differences between the ISDs. So, for Barton/Senna, the children would be tracked to Barton Creek Elementary, West Ridge Middle and Westlake High. With Cedar Creek, the children would be tracked to Baldwin, Gorzycki and Bowie. A few different concerns regarding this:

1) At Eanes, what are the numbers like? We will be coming from a relatively small town so I don't know if the size of the high schools are markedly different - ie Westlake 2,000/Bowie 4,000 (making these up) and class size differences and ability to offer differentiated instructions at all levels and at all ages (elementary - high school)

2) Neighborhoods - are people generally pretty friendly in all of these neighborhoods? We come from a tight knit group now where we all help each other, have block parties, etc.

3) Conveniences - to shopping/restaurants/gyms etc. I did a LOT of driving around and I think both areas seem great for this. Am I right?

So, I promise, we are on the ten yard line here and almost in the end zone. With all of your help and guidance, we have been fortunate to learn so much and spend our time wisely.

Looking forward to some more (and I promise) final feedback from fellow friends here on the board!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 06:01 AM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,974,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthap View Post
You can but anything you want in Tarrytown with $600K. !
No you can't.

We're looking for a 4/3 with a pool in Tarrytown as we speak. There are currently 17 listings that match that criteria. ZERO of them are below $600k. 14 of the 17 are more than $1m. FIVE of them are more than $2m.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:35 AM

Hi,
Actually we are not looking in Tarrytown but I know what you are saying. If anyone has any input on my post two above this one, I would really appreciate it. Txs,
Boston Mom

Old 06-08-2012, 03:57 PM

861 posts, read 1,149,014 times
Off the topic of housing and commuting - do you or your husband play hockey? If so, IM me and I'll get you in touch with all the Mass-Holes that I play with.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:04 PM

73 posts, read 242,308 times
Here is the link where you can do the extensive research regarding to the school stats, such as enrollment number, class size, students/teacher ratio, test scores, expenses on students, racial distribution, etc.

2010-11 Campus AEIS Report

Also you can also go to the greatschools.org to check some school reviews from the parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123MA View Post
Hi,
Actually we are not looking in Tarrytown but I know what you are saying. If anyone has any input on my post two above this one, I would really appreciate it. Txs,
Boston Mom

Old 06-08-2012, 09:15 PM

319 posts, read 738,174 times
Give everything in this thread, I would strongly consider Eanes ISD...

Old 06-08-2012, 10:09 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,541,114 times
Ahhhh...while schools and commute are very important...you also mentioned community feel. Circle C is one of the strongest family communities in Austin IMO and has been since the 80's. There are many great areas mentioned here but Circle C is a fantastic place to raise a family. We loved our 7 years there. It is a rock solid Austin area neighborhood. Good luck with your move. You have a lot of good choices and it will work out!

Old 06-13-2012, 07:22 AM

3 posts, read 17,494 times
Dripping Springs is 30-45 mins southwest of Austin and on the complete other side of Austin as 183/290. I would recommend possible Round Rock area. It is right off I35 which is the way to San Antonio and 183/290. With your budget you can also look in Tarrytown or Westlake but you won't get as much for your money. Circle C is also very south and on the opposite side of Austin as 183 so be prepared to do some heavy commuting if you decide that is where you wanna be.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:37 AM

9 posts, read 15,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
i would also look at Rollingwood - off of mopac. Easy to get to SA, easy to get to the job
Rolling Wood is as good as Austin gets in my opinion. Id move to San Marcos though with your commutes. Oh and nothing beats Eanes schools.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:11 PM

Hi everyone,
Thanks again for your help. After looking at over 60 homes from north, south, west, east of Austin we have landed in the Lake Travis ISD over in Spillman Ranch. We have tried the commute so we know what we are in for but we felt like it was the right fit for our children. Will officially be in Austin at the end of July and can't wait. What a wonderful city - haven't met one unfriendly person, really is amazing. So again, thank you all for your great input and advice.

An almost former Bostonian!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin