Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2007, 11:24 AM

20 posts, read 64,043 times

Advertisements

I am a 22 year old recent grad interested in moving to a big city much like Austin looking for an entry-level job w/ bachelor's degree, an active social life (meeting new people), and generally a great experience for my early 20s that aren't suburban famiy life/old people. My first question is what are the realities of what Im looking for (bc over & over I've heard life isn't like Seeeex and the CITY!) in a bigger city that isn't as overwhelming and fast-paced as NYC......

Next (and the most important) is how do you go about finding a job and Moving??? Would you suggest finding a job in an area in the city first? Or moving to an area and THEN looking for a job? Because I'm overwhelmed with the idea of having to fly out for an interivew that may/may not work out / moving to an area and going into a debt without having any income.

Any past experiences/suggestions would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 11:46 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,233,328 times
When I moved from Boston to LA, I first flew out (for a week) for job interviews. But I didn't actually get any of the jobs I interviewed for. My husband & I had some money saved (specifically for the move), and we were lucky enough to find a (friend of a friend's) furnished apartment to sublet for 3 months. So put our stuff in storage and moved to LA without jobs.

I was lucky. On the drive out, a company called me for an interview. I interviewed as soon as I got into town and got the job. My husband wasn't as lucky. He had a really hard time finding a job (for MONTHS) and ended up having to take a job at a bookstore.

Personally, I found it really hard to find a job without actually moving first. No one would get back to me because my resume said Boston. Once I started sending out resumes with my new apartment address on it, more companies started contacting me.

On the other hand, a lot of apartment complexes won't rent to you without income. So it's a bit of a Catch-22.

Some suggestions:
- Open up a PO Box at a mail place that has a regular address and use that for your resume address. The problem with this is that you have to open the PO Box in person. If you have a friend in the area, have them do it.

- Use a friend's address for your resume

- Heck. Make up an address! Most companies use email anyway.

- Find a cheap apartment and only rent it for 3-6 months. That way, you can get a McJob to pay bills (if you need to) while you look for something more suitable.

- It ALWAYS helps to have money saved. Or maybe borrow from your parents?

Good luck!

Old 08-26-2007, 11:53 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
At your age, my advice would be find your job first and relocate to the best possible career opportunity. If it happens to be Austin, great. Remember though that there are 3 bigger cities in TX alone... so if the best opportunity is in Houston, go there. If it is in North Carolina, go there.

I say this because right now, it is easier for you relocate than it will be years later. Go for the opportunity now, don't worry about the lifestyle -- you'll find stuff you like in any big city. If you don't end up liking it, at least you will have made some decent money with which you could afford to go elsewhere.

Old 08-26-2007, 04:29 PM

20 posts, read 64,043 times
thanks for the responses. i appreciate it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin