Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 08:08 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,667,143 times

Advertisements

Any school is what you make of it (or the kids make of it). I know some great people who went to Eanes as kids, and I know some people with kids there now, and their kids are 'normal' (as normal as HS kids can be ). Some kids have a more developed identity than others by the time they reach HS, and although the peer pressure is still there, it is interpreted differently by different kids.

Long story short - there is a lot of money in Eanes, but there are a lot of involved families, as well. The structure and programs at the HS are excellent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 08:39 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,067,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernmartinez View Post
I am still so conflicted and confused...I just received so many discouraging replies about Eanes ISD basically being characterized as very materialistic and racially insensitive, but then I read all over this post how great the school district is. I'm just not quite sure what to make of it all...
I have a child attending Westlake High. Our experience has been that the stereotypes are mostly overblown. Our kid attended private school through 8th grade and assimilated into WHS with little trouble. Her group of new friends is very sweet (I met them all at her birthday party) and come from a variety of economic conditions.

Like private school, many Eanes families make financial sacrifices to afford the education. They are not all "rich", though many in fact are well off, as presumed. My daughter has former private school mates now attending Dripping Springs, Bowie, and McCallum. When we compare notes, there is little difference in what they all experience in their public high schools.

There are materialistic kids, drug users, slackers and high achievers at all high schools. There are good and bad teachers in all the schools. I personally chose to send my kid to WHS because after visiting the other three mentioned above, I was most impressed with WHS. Friends of our made different choices and sent their kids to other high schools.

Visit all the prospective schools and make up your own mind. That's the best advice to follow.

Steve

Old 06-25-2009, 11:39 AM

8 posts, read 38,515 times
Default Sri Atmandanda

I went to visit Sri Atmandanda school this week and left with a lot more questions than I arrived with.
For one thing, I worry with the kids basically running the show that one risks raising some very self-important offspring who only know doing when and what they want. This is in no way doing them service since most of us recognise that in the real world that sort of indulgence is rarely afforded.
I also worried about the lack of structure. My daughter is ADHD and can get hyper focused on some tasks and is a master negotiator to avoid things she finds more challenging but a good education must, in my opinion, include all core subjects in the elementary years.
I love the idea of my child loving school and yearning to learn but is this style too loosey-goosey to cover all the bases and allow the child to grow up realising that they are not the king of the universe and to be happy one needs to be adaptable and resilient even under less than optimal conditions?

Old 07-07-2009, 10:22 PM

1 posts, read 5,031 times
Hi ahufford, Does your child still attend Sri Atmananda? We have a 3 year old and are strongly considering this school when the time comes. With that in mind, does anyone else have experience with the SAM (Sri Atmananda) school? Thank you.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:11 PM

434 posts, read 1,081,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3TexPats View Post
Looking to move back to Austin--knew it well as a college student, and not at all as middle-aged parents! Will likely live in Westlake Hills, but not interested in public schools. What are the very best private schools in the area--we have a girl who will be in 6th grade when we move. Currently, we go to a very progressive, liberal K-12 private school on East Coast. Not interested in Catholic schools or anything too stuffy/conservative/rigid. Thanks!
"very best" means different things to different people.

but if you are going to be living in Westlake Hills, your options are limited to St. Stephens and Westlake High.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:26 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,329,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinite45 View Post
"very best" means different things to different people.

but if you are going to be living in Westlake Hills, your options are limited to St. Stephens and Westlake High.
Trinity Episcopal is k-8.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Trinity Episcopal is k-8.
Isn't that a very religious entity? I think the OP doesn't want that.

I wouldn't recommend subjecting a child to vigorous religious indoctrination.

In fact, i think organized religion is threatening America's long term national security and economic prosperity with its anti-science ideologies.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:09 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,329,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinite45 View Post
Isn't that a very religious entity? I think the OP doesn't want that.

I wouldn't recommend subjecting a child to vigorous religious indoctrination.

In fact, i think organized religion is threatening America's long term national security and economic prosperity with its anti-science ideologies.
Ha! You don't know much about Episcopal schools. They're very progressive and openminded about all forms of religion and non religion. They certainly teach evolution in science class.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:27 PM

361 posts, read 1,164,682 times
The lower and middle schools aren't that close, but I know a few families in Eanes ISD who send their kids to St Andrews. The upper school is off SW Parkway and really not that far.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Ha! You don't know much about Episcopal schools. They're very progressive and openminded about all forms of religion and non religion. They certainly teach evolution in science class.
I don't know much about individual Episcopal schools but I'd avoid sending kids to religious schools, be they Christian, Catholic, Muslim or Buddhist. In my opinion, there is no such thing as a "progressive" or "open-minded" religious school, as a matter of definition.

Last edited by austinite45; 07-10-2009 at 03:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin