Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 09:57 AM

66 posts, read 203,191 times

Advertisements

Some of you know we are selling our central Austin home an moving to south or southwest Austin (west of Manchaca, south of 290/BenWhite, probably south of Wm Cannon).

We have been exploring in particular:
-- West of Mopac: everything north of Circle C and south of Travis Country
-- Sendera and Deer Haven
-- Grand Oaks (NW corner of Manchaca and Davis)
-- I would love to live in old Shady Hollow but husband is nixing it due to rush-hour congestion.

We were looking at the sex offender map* last night with a particular interest in offenses against children (as we have children) and there is a cluster of pedophile sex offenders in Maple Run, which is close to the Sendera pool and playground. Cherry Creek also has quite a few.

I've read all the threads I could find on housing in SW Austin, and although there have been discussions on crime in general and on flood plain issues, I hadn't seen a thread on sex crimes against children.

I have to saw this is affecting what neighborhoods we will be looking in.

*[I used National Sex Offender Registry - Family Watchdog but, atleast on FireFox for the Mac, the map refresh is a major pain. Anyone know of a better map-based tool?]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 10:12 AM

205 posts, read 740,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nina_online View Post
Some of you know we are selling our central Austin home an moving to south or southwest Austin (west of Manchaca, south of 290/BenWhite, probably south of Wm Cannon).

We have been exploring in particular:
-- West of Mopac: everything north of Circle C and south of Travis Country
-- Sendera and Deer Haven
-- Grand Oaks (NW corner of Manchaca and Davis)
-- I would love to live in old Shady Hollow but husband is nixing it due to rush-hour congestion.

We were looking at the sex offender map* last night with a particular interest in offenses against children (as we have children) and there is a cluster of pedophile sex offenders in Maple Run, which is close to the Sendera pool and playground. Cherry Creek also has quite a few.

I've read all the threads I could find on housing in SW Austin, and although there have been discussions on crime in general and on flood plain issues, I hadn't seen a thread on sex crimes against children.

I have to saw this is affecting what neighborhoods we will be looking in.

*[I used National Sex Offender Registry - Family Watchdog but, atleast on FireFox for the Mac, the map refresh is a major pain. Anyone know of a better map-based tool?]
When we purchased a home near Shady Hollow, I googled and looked at almost all available results. And honestly it didn't look promising. Southwest Austin and for that matter entire Austin has too many sex offenders. I don't think so that I narrowed the search based on Child Sex Offender, but still the numbers were high for any neighborhood.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:21 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,281,377 times
The DPS has a sex offender registry. Can't speak to whether or not it's any better than the one you looked at though. I know that in my neck of the woods, that folks in the registry tend to be clustered, esp in certain apt complexes.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
The DPS has a sex offender registry. Can't speak to whether or not it's any better than the one you looked at though. I know that in my neck of the woods, that folks in the registry tend to be clustered, esp in certain apt complexes.
yes this is a good website. Put 3-4 addresses in different areas and found 20-30 offenders in 2 mile radius

Old 04-18-2011, 10:33 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,035,675 times
Crime is also another important factor to look at. Here is an interactive map:

Sendera: krimelabb 2011

Circle C: http://www.krimelabb.com/_basic/view...&maptype=byzip

Shady Hollow: http://www.krimelabb.com/_basic/view...&maptype=byzip

Last edited by jobert; 04-18-2011 at 10:45 AM..

Old 04-18-2011, 10:37 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,141,835 times
Frankly, I think such registries are useless! They give you enough information to panic but not enough to make informed decisions and asses the real risk!

There is all sorts of "noise" in the data that do not represent a threat (19 year old with a 15 year old girlfriend).

PLUS, the actual threat of childhood sex abuse is not from strangers (incredibly rare) but from people you know and who know your child! Worry less about strangers in the neighborhood and more about coaches, teachers, ministers, babysitters, relatives, etc.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:38 AM

yep that is a thing to look for too.

I have setup alert in spot crime within 2 miles of my home..

Old 04-18-2011, 10:58 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,444,984 times
Enter Central Austin and you will find a ton of sex offenders. They live everywhere in Austin. I don't think there is ever going to be a magical neighborhood that doesn't have any. Unless you live on a farm out in the middle of nowhere. It's a sick, cruel world.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:23 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,090,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Frankly, I think such registries are useless! They give you enough information to panic but not enough to make informed decisions and asses the real risk!

There is all sorts of "noise" in the data that do not represent a threat (19 year old with a 15 year old girlfriend).

PLUS, the actual threat of childhood sex abuse is not from strangers (incredibly rare) but from people you know and who know your child! Worry less about strangers in the neighborhood and more about coaches, teachers, ministers, babysitters, relatives, etc.
Exactly. Or, put another way:

"If I live in a home with no sex offenders living nearby, have I just reduced the odds that something bad will happen to my child?"

Answer: absolutely not. You'd be uninformed to think so.

In order to make that determination, you'd need to mash up a map of where offenses actually occur with a map of where offenders live. Low and behold, most children are sexually assaulted/abused in their own homes by people the family trusted to be alone with the child.

Statistically, the location of a home is less relevant than the family, friends and acquaintances that have unsupervised access to the child.

Also, as CentralAustinite mentioned, if you drill down into the stats, many of these "offenders" were teens with consenting younger teens, which is why we now have the two-year rule that says an 18 year old with a 16 year old is not an offense, but a 19 year old with a 16 year old is.

Finally, many of these offenders were one-time "exposure" cases. Some drunk frat boy peeing in an alley off 6th street without concealing himself properly and, next thing you know, he's guilty of indecent exposure and forever a sex offender.

Want to protect your kid? Know the real stats, how to interpret them, and be aware the real methods of effective prevention. Cruising online maps of offender addresses and making housing choices based on that is a complete, and utter, waste of time.

Steve

Old 04-18-2011, 10:05 PM

66 posts, read 203,191 times
It is interesting to read different perspectives on this issue.

I actually did look at each and every one (I don't know why the assumption is that I didn't), and wrote down the age of the adult when the crime was committed, how long ago, and the age of the child. A case of 30y/5yo is very different from a 19yo/16yo. Actually, the age of the child is the most important to me. There are a number of cases in that cluster where the child was 5ish years old. Of course, there are no details provided as to how the offender got access to the child.

I'm not saying it can't happen anywhere, but there are no registered sex offenders in my current west/central Austin neighborhood, and the next closest is a 28/17 case. Westlake inside 360 has none. It is also accurate to say that the distribution is not even across the city. Not trying to make a big statement here, but those are the facts.

My gut tells me that an important factor is how much the neighborhood looks out for strangers, etc. For example, there was the thread about the white truck in Circle C, and how many neighbors called the police every time they saw a white truck.

I'm still thinking about how important these maps are to me, but I will say that at minimum I don't think I'd buy on the same street as a child sex offender. Not exactly the kind of neighbor I want, and although you can't choose your neighbors, given the choice to avoid a bad apple, I would take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: