Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 11:41 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,463,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I think she means that they are not as conservative and conventional as their reputation implies....
And, as an old hippie living in Williamson County, I agree with her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 07:28 AM

593 posts, read 471,253 times
As everyone already said, the best spot for you Sun City. Everyone there is in your age group and it's a plush lifestyle from what I hear. just minutes from Austin whenever you need your weirdo fix.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:44 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,114,457 times
Whether one wants to be "ghettoized" with people who are all retired is a matter of opinion. Personally, I enjoy living in a mixed neighborhood. I like seeing the kids walk by to school, the young moms taking out their babies for walks. When I am working in my front yard garden, or when I am taking a walk, I get to talk to all sorts. I do like having some people around who are my age (60) but I think I would hate living in a place like Sun City. I think Austin is like any other similarly sized town for retirees; if you get involved and stay active, you will will be happy. If you stay at home and expect the world to come to you, you will think it is an unfriendly place. Also, living in Circle C, I know that the place is very mixed as far as political opinions. It is not just conservative, as some say the suburbs are. I don't find the HOA limitations restrictive, but I am not interested in parking an old car in my front yard. Every time I have talked to the HOA about changing something in my yard and house, they have approved it.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:48 AM

8,898 posts, read 20,031,123 times
I don't see anything wrong with someone suggesting sun city. I'm in my 50s and would consider it. 1. Old people don't freak me out - they are like free security when you are away because they watch everything. 2. A pool that isn't full of dirty diapered toddlers. 3. A nice fitness center that is never crowded and always clean and in good condition. 4. If someone is a golfer then also a good spot.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:25 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,114,457 times
No, there is nothing wrong with checking out Sun City. It is an option.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:08 PM

19 posts, read 15,886 times
Default no HOAs

Georgetown is a good place to retire. People are friendly. There are lots of walking trails. I would avoid Sun City (or any HOA neighborhood), but particularly Sun City. Not everyone realizes it, but it is easier for an HOA to take your house than for a bank lender. They don't have to take it to court. It's not about wanting to park junk cars in your yard, you can't do that anyway, the city will come after you. It's about being able to plant vegetables and flowers in your yard, put up a clothesline, trim your bushes and trees in the winter when it causes them the least stress. Some years an HOA may be just fine, then you get some nazis on the board who think somebody's playscape in their backyard or the color of somebody's shutters impacts the quality of life of their neighbors. There are realtors who can help you find a non-HOA home. I highly recommend you work with one.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:39 PM

472 posts, read 433,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averageperson View Post
I know that Austin is a city geared to younger people?
Would a 56 year old retiree from D.C. feel out of place?

I am sort of eccentric also and want to meet other unconventional
people? Where and how could I accomplish that?

Bruce
Welcome to Austin! As long as you live in Austin proper you will be fine and love it!

Although, taxation might work against you considering this state has no income tax (and you're a retiree) but has significant property taxes. Just saying ...

Old 08-12-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savethebees View Post
Georgetown is a good place to retire. People are friendly. There are lots of walking trails. I would avoid Sun City (or any HOA neighborhood), but particularly Sun City. Not everyone realizes it, but it is easier for an HOA to take your house than for a bank lender. They don't have to take it to court. It's not about wanting to park junk cars in your yard, you can't do that anyway, the city will come after you. It's about being able to plant vegetables and flowers in your yard, put up a clothesline, trim your bushes and trees in the winter when it causes them the least stress. Some years an HOA may be just fine, then you get some nazis on the board who think somebody's playscape in their backyard or the color of somebody's shutters impacts the quality of life of their neighbors. There are realtors who can help you find a non-HOA home. I highly recommend you work with one.
Wow! Didn't know that at all. HOA's can be such a pest sometimes.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:50 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,580,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheFox View Post
Welcome to Austin! As long as you live in Austin proper you will be fine and love it!

Although, taxation might work against you considering this state has no income tax (and you're a retiree) but has significant property taxes. Just saying ...

You're six and a half years late in welcoming the OP. On the other hand, your tax advice is accurate.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
You're six and a half years late in welcoming the OP. On the other hand, your tax advice is accurate.
... my bad! I need to start noticing the dates before replying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin