Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2006, 01:32 PM

75 posts, read 467,557 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I've been mostly on the Dallas forum, since hubby and I are thinking of moving there next spring. However, this crazy drought/water rationing due to lack of rain scares us. Is there a similar problem in Austin? I just read how even the lakes there are drying up, and they are restricting some of the boat ramps, etc.

Maybe we'll move to Austin!

-Another Cali-ite
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2006, 01:59 PM

364 posts, read 1,421,069 times
Well, the whole state except for the desert area around El Paso (go figure) is in a drought. We in central Texas just happen to be blessed with a little more water than our northern neighbors. It also helps that there are fewer people around Austin than there are in the D/FW area. Fewer mouths, lawns and toilets.

Best of luck to you.

Rick

Old 08-18-2006, 02:20 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,335,077 times
Default Water in Austin

We are not under any mandatory water restrictions here in Austin. We are always under voluntary restrictions May through September where you water your lawn only every fifth day depending on your address. Like I said, it is voluntary. Austin is a very conservation-minded city which makes it a great place to live.

The water levels at Lake Travis (a huge lake west of Austin) are definitely lower than average. Lake Austin (or Town Lake) is a constant level lake as it is actually a damned up river.

I don't know if you've ever been to Austin but you really ought to visit. I wouldn't live anywhere else in Texas.

Old 08-18-2006, 03:01 PM

75 posts, read 467,557 times
thanks, sounds much better than the Dallas area right now. I've heard nothing but great things about Austin, no wonder it's growing!!

Old 08-19-2006, 12:22 PM

92 posts, read 673,888 times
Default Water concerns in Austin/CenTex area

Drought and water conditions in Austin are very unpredictable.
Lake Travis, for instance, can go from significantly lower than normal, to significantly higher than normal within a year...depending on rains, etc.
Hence, we can go from "water restriction use" to no restrictions at all from one year to the next.
Having visited Dallas/Ft Worth considerably, I'd definitely choose Austin area over D/FW....water availability would not be a huge concern for me, except perhaps in the Dripping Springs area....they just have not gotten their "water act" together....lotsa people living there have to rely upon their own wells, and the water table can drop drastically in a short time (especially in recent year or so of rapid growth), and water wells and pumps are burning up/drying up frequently.

Quote:
Hello everyone,
I've been mostly on the Dallas forum, since hubby and I are thinking of moving there next spring. However, this crazy drought/water rationing due to lack of rain scares us. Is there a similar problem in Austin? I just read how even the lakes there are drying up, and they are restricting some of the boat ramps, etc.

Maybe we'll move to Austin!

Last edited by Yac; 08-20-2006 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: quote fixed (please put [quote] before and [/quote] after cited text )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin