Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 11:02 AM

67 posts, read 48,302 times

Advertisements

Hi i received my appraised value and my appraised value is way lower than the market price by 100K. Should i still try my luck in protesting? Or should i not protest, for fear that if they find out they "make a mistake", they could increase my appraised value? Should i still try my chance and protest in hopes of bringing it ever lower than it already is?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2021, 11:08 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,051,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite888 View Post
Hi i received my appraised value and my appraised value is way lower than the market price by 100K. Should i still try my luck in protesting? Or should i not protest, for fear that if they find out they "make a mistake", they could increase my appraised value? Should i still try my chance and protest in hopes of bringing it ever lower than it already is?

Thanks!
Is it below the Jan 1, 2021 market value, which would be determined by running comparable sales that happened June 2020 through Jan 2021?

That's the time bracket you want to look at to compare values. Values didn't start the ultra-spike in prices until January offers surged as demand became turbo charged into limited supply.

Old 07-06-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Is it below the Jan 1, 2021 market value, which would be determined by running comparable sales that happened June 2020 through Jan 2021?

That's the time bracket you want to look at to compare values. Values didn't start the ultra-spike in prices until January offers surged as demand became turbo charged into limited supply.
Yes, it is very much below. I have got a 200K+ assessed value for a 2000+ sq ft new built

Old 07-06-2021, 01:00 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,051,726 times
Quote:
Yes, it is very much below. I have got a 200K+ assessed value for a 2000+ sq ft new built
Then I'd protest, if you're still able. The deadline has passed unless you received your Notice late.

Texas law says the appraised value is the value as of Jan 1 each year, not current value at the time of the protest hearing.

Good luck.
Steve

Old 07-07-2021, 07:11 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,229,885 times
Quote:
Or should i not protest, for fear that if they find out they "make a mistake", they could increase my appraised value?
This part of the OP raises a question I've always wondered about. I didn't see it explicitly answered (apologies if I missed it).

If you protest, can the board decide it's too low, and raise your appraisal? Does it every happen, or so rare as to be insignificant?

Old 07-07-2021, 08:26 AM

4,838 posts, read 3,264,426 times
Why in the world would you want to pay taxes on $100k more assessed valuation when it has nothing whatever to do with the actual market value? Protest too high, enjoy the break when they bungle it. Rest assured, they'll figure it out soon enough.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:32 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,421,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
This part of the OP raises a question I've always wondered about. I didn't see it explicitly answered (apologies if I missed it).

If you protest, can the board decide it's too low, and raise your appraisal? Does it every happen, or so rare as to be insignificant?
They won't do that. But in order for that to happen, the person protesting has to be a special kind of stupid. When you protest, you bring comps that illustrated it's over valued. If you've proved it's under valued, you would have had to bring comps that prove that. And why would you do that?

I usually protest every year and get it lowered every year. But even though my appraisal went up A LOT, it's still valued about $300K less than what we would actually get for it. And there's no way I'd be able to find comps to say it's over valued.

Old 07-07-2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
They won't do that. But in order for that to happen, the person protesting has to be a special kind of stupid. When you protest, you bring comps that illustrated it's over valued. If you've proved it's under valued, you would have had to bring comps that prove that. And why would you do that?

I usually protest every year and get it lowered every year. But even though my appraisal went up A LOT, it's still valued about $300K less than what we would actually get for it. And there's no way I'd be able to find comps to say it's over valued.
Could i ask where do people usually get their data to protest? Is it from zillow?

Old 07-07-2021, 12:04 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,624,789 times
Quote:
Could i ask where do people usually get their data to protest? Is it from zillow?
Your friendly neighborhood realtor and the MLS

Old 07-07-2021, 03:31 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
something also to consider - the valuation may just be on the land and some of the improvements, which is common with new builds. not sure if you can actually protest now anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: