Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2010, 10:59 AM

45 posts, read 147,414 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone on here is or has been a student at ACC. I was wondering about the campus and how was/is your experience there with the couselors, people, prof...etc. Also wondering if anyone moved to Austin from a different city and how much it wound up costing you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 04:55 PM

322 posts, read 847,552 times
I have taken several classes at ACC. I've had nothing but good experiences. I thought that you just needed a local address to attend. Isn't that right? I have never been asked anything but my address (and proof thereof). It is waaaay cheaper than UT. They have great certificate and associate's programs.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:17 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,128,134 times
you need to fill out a residency form (because the tuition is more for non-local people) and you need your official transcripts to take classes.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:51 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,150,821 times
I had experience with ACC on several levels. I took classes there, taught a class there, and served on the professional advisory board for one of the programs. I think ACC is a wonderful place. It provides you with the ability to use it in a utilitarian way-- just take a needed class and not bother with much else in the college-- or as a stepping stone to university education. Lots of handholding for students who may have not been so successful in high school....

The counselors, in my experience, were very generous with their time and most professors understand that the student population is transitory and more than willing to meet you half way.

Good luck. It's a great community college.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:05 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,109,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I had experience with ACC on several levels. I took classes there, taught a class there, and served on the professional advisory board for one of the programs. I think ACC is a wonderful place. It provides you with the ability to use it in a utilitarian way-- just take a needed class and not bother with much else in the college-- or as a stepping stone to university education. Lots of handholding for students who may have not been so successful in high school....

The counselors, in my experience, were very generous with their time and most professors understand that the student population is transitory and more than willing to meet you half way.

Good luck. It's a great community college.
I'm new to the area, but I have to say that I am a little disappointed with the offerings of ACC. It looks like a great place if you want to start your requirements for a college degree, but they don't seem to have much in the way of courses that the community might take advantage of, just out of general interest.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:13 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,067,761 times
ACC is a great solution to a particular kind of problem, and a poor choice for a different set of needs.

For working people trying to gain some college credits and work toward possibly transferring into a university, it's the best path forward because of the affordability and flexible class schedules.

For "13th graders" who may not be emotionally or academically prepared to enter a university straight out of high school, ACC can form a perfect bridge toward more serious study, or a much cheaper place to wash out.

For cost conscious students/parents who'd like to knock out the first 2 years of college credits before applying to UT or elsewhere, it's a great solution, especially for getting the core English, Math, Government, etc. credits out of the way.

For older people looking to go back to college to tune up or pursue a different degree, it can be a great stepping stone.

I don't think it's a good next step for well performing high school graduates who can afford a regular 4-year university. I would not send my kids there straight out of high school, for a number of reasons. I think of it more as a "Plan B" substitute to 4-year college.

Steve

Old 12-01-2010, 01:41 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,283,861 times
Imagine my disappointment -- I thought someone was going to tell what the initiation fee and monthly dues were at Austin Country Club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin