Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 03:09 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,271,579 times

Advertisements

I personally would expand your range of cities a little further. Seattle is an ok place, but it's riddled with crime, high costs of living, and tons of druguse. Austin is nothing more than a big college town that thinks it's something more. Portland or Denver all the way BABY!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimops View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm a college student from Holland and I'm going on exchange next year for 4 months (aug-dec). Now my problem is that I've never been to the US so I don't know what the cities are like and therefore I'm hoping you can help me.
I will probably choose between Seattle (UW) or Austin (UT), (other options being LA and Ann Arbor). So, could you tell me about the main differences between Seattle and Austin besides the climate, of course, and what do you think is a better/nicer college town. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 09:49 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,130,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
I personally would expand your range of cities a little further. Seattle is an ok place, but it's riddled with crime, high costs of living, and tons of druguse. Austin is nothing more than a big college town that thinks it's something more. Portland or Denver all the way BABY!!!!
riddled with crime? not really, Seattle is very safe.

UW compared to UT is an interesting one. UW is a very good school I would stack it up against most schools in the nation academically.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:59 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,542,637 times
Not that "rankings" matter or are accurate, but in fact, UW rates just one ahead of UT in this ranking...

National Universities Rankings - Best College - Education - US News

And Kiplingers ranks UW #7 and UT#25 best values in public educaton...

Kiplinger.com (http://www.kiplinger.com/tools/colleges/pubcollege.php?sortby=INRANK&orderby=flip&states%5 B%5D=ALL&myschool%5B%5D=none&outputby=table - broken link)

Forbes has UW #107 and UT #138...

America's Best Colleges - Forbes.com

World rankings has UW #55, UT #67...

http://www.topuniversities.com/sites/default/files/QS_World_University_Rankings_top500.pdf (broken link)

I was shocked as I just assumed UT was way better but now that we live in WA and have to consider it as an option because it's in state tuition, I looked at the rankings because all we hear about out here is UW this or that. That and it's just about darn near impossible to get into UT from out of state. Wish they made an exception if you are a native born Texan!

Though certainly a person should look particularly at their discipline, such as accounting or business...UT is hard to beat. But I thought the "rankings" interesting because they were very different than what I expected.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:26 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,383,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
I was shocked as I just assumed UT was way better but now that we live in WA and have to consider it as an option because it's in state tuition, I looked at the rankings because all we hear about out here is UW this or that. That and it's just about darn near impossible to get into UT from out of state. Wish they made an exception if you are a native born Texan!

Though certainly a person should look particularly at their discipline, such as accounting or business...UT is hard to beat. But I thought the "rankings" interesting because they were very different than what I expected.
I suspect that at one point U.T.-Austin was probably ranked ahead, back when it was strictly merit-based. Now that it's not, I'm assuming it's slid a lot. When I was at U.T., many of the colleges/schools were in the top 3 nationally, like the j-school. Now that C students are an automatic shoe-in from low-performing schools, my alma mater isn't what it used to be. Just glad to have gone when it was still top-flight.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:31 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,271,579 times
No it isn't. Seattle has a high rate of crime overall. Perhaps you are talking about the suburbs which are probably safer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
riddled with crime? not really, Seattle is very safe.

UW compared to UT is an interesting one. UW is a very good school I would stack it up against most schools in the nation academically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin