Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 11:18 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,007,902 times

Advertisements

Stephen Ray Vaughan (October 3, 1954 – August 27, 1990)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC71f...eature=related

RIP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 11:58 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,041,077 times
Well, the good news is that SRV's birthday is coming up in a little more than a month, so that will be a little more happy note to celebrate....

Per Aug 27, 20 years ago yesterday, that night he performed at the Alpine Valley Theater in lake geneva, wisc., just north of Chicago. Eric Clapton was a surprise special guest, and gigged on several songs, including the last song Stevie played before he died, "Sweet Home Chicago"...Alpine, per the name, was a ski resort, at least a midwestern version with bunny hills, anyway...it was a former Playboy Resort, and Hugh Hefner made it his little playground when he was still living in Chicago....After the PC closed, it remained a ski resort, along with a concert venue in summers(and still is).....Eric C and SRV finished "Sweet Home" as a rousing encore, and, as a favor, Clapton allowed SRV to use his helicopter to get to O'Hare in Chicago, as a favor, much like someone would let you use their yacht or whathaveyou.....it was foggy, and the helicopter blade rotor got caught in a bunny hill, and ate up the copter and crew....I'm sure Clapton felt awful, but its one of those things you can't foresee....I'm sure he meant well....

Here is some audio of that last concert on Aug 27, 1990...need I mention, doing what he loved best...I'm sure he would have chose jamming with EC and Buddy Guy right before he passed as the way to go out....RIP SRV!:

YouTube - Stevie Ray Vaughan's final concert

And a video of the gang that played the encore, with audio of the actual last night superimposed on the same:

YouTube - Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Buddy Guy, Jimmie Vaughan, Robert Cray - Sweet Home Chicago - 1990

Keep in mind that audio in that link above was the actual recording of the last song SRV ever played....and what a jam it was! He went out in style!

Last edited by inthecut; 08-28-2010 at 12:12 AM..

Old 08-28-2010, 11:21 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,116,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Stephen Ray Vaughan (October 3, 1954 – August 27, 1990)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC71f...eature=related

RIP
I enjoyed listening to his music all day on KUT 90.5 FM while I was driving around.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:25 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,041,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I enjoyed listening to his music all day on KUT 90.5 FM while I was driving around.
I liked his spirit even more than his playing...like hendrix, he just tapped into this mysterious reservoir out there, and eminated this incredible power from the same....its the combination of both...the guitar playing, and that muse he tapped into...and music itself is spiritual at its best, anyway!

Old 08-28-2010, 11:27 AM

434 posts, read 1,310,796 times
That was a sad day. I had just graduated from high school and was working making sandwiches at Texas Frenchbread and we all listened to KUT that day also. It was so Ironic that he was just starting his life clean and sober, then from what I understand he wasn't even supposed to be on that helicopter on that trip from the venue

Old 08-28-2010, 01:39 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,450,502 times
Thanks for the link. I've got goosebumps.

We were taking our son to his freshman year of college at St. Johns College in Santa Fe when we heard the news.

I remember the first time I ever heard Stevie play, on the radio driving around in Austin. I said, "I can't believe there's a Hendrix song I haven't heard." Said son said, "That's not Hendrix." "Yes, it is, I know Hendrix when I hear him!" One of those times when your kid knows more than you do.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:13 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,072,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDerek View Post
That was a sad day. I had just graduated from high school and was working making sandwiches at Texas Frenchbread and we all listened to KUT that day also. It was so Ironic that he was just starting his life clean and sober, then from what I understand he wasn't even supposed to be on that helicopter on that trip from the venue
I remember too. Me and my then future wife went to Zilker where the big gathering happened at the rock. It was so shocking and unexpected, of course.

That dude could jam.

Steve

Old 08-28-2010, 02:14 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,879,917 times
Great links, thx for sharing!

Old 08-28-2010, 02:32 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,213,290 times
I still remember the day I heard the news. I was at work, leaving for lunch. I was sad the rest of the day (and still am).

I was fortunate to see SRV twice when I lived in Houston - once at Fitzgeralds, a blues/rock club, while SRV was still playing the guitar behind his head for fun. The second time was after the Texas Flood album - at the Music Hall. He was clearly on the rise.

One of my all time favorites.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:41 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,116,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
I liked his spirit even more than his playing...like hendrix, he just tapped into this mysterious reservoir out there, and eminated this incredible power from the same....its the combination of both...the guitar playing, and that muse he tapped into...and music itself is spiritual at its best, anyway!
That is the mystical, magical thing about creativity, in the throws of if one can tap into that mysterious reservoir out there and feel it flow. This can happen with any creative endeavor, writing, painting, etc, but the miraculous thing about creating music is that you can share it with an audience and lift them to feel that incredible energy flow also. This can truly be a mystical experience to feel at one with this creative energy flow. To share it with others is bliss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin