Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 12:22 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,521,245 times

Advertisements

The Outcome of Villages at Riverwatch is far cry from what was initially proposed. Also don't forget this devt received millions in TAD tax subsidies which I found absurd for such prime realestate abutting I-20 and Riverwatch. It's really a fallacy to call this Villages at Riverwatch. It is hardly the new urbanist village that was hyped over a decade ago. Instead it looks like another Augusta Exchange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 01:51 PM

614 posts, read 1,102,924 times
Sometimes, I just have to facepalm and shake my head at these comments. Nortonguy, are you really asking for a Joe's crabshack? Or was you playing? If I was beside you, I'd slap the keyboard off the desk. Man you reaching. And a Guitar center! I was there about 3 months ago buying an amp plug. It ain't special folks. Since moving up here, I've learned that Augusta has much of the same. Just mom and pop instead of national chains. Hell, I'll take Moe's or Barberitos over Chipotle's. And y'all got a Juicy Crab. Way better than Joe's. Honestly, a lot of what has been mentioned just isn't coming because Augusta can't support them. Let me explain. Augusta is a blue collar town. The whole metro is blue collar. We don't pay premium prices just for the sake of paying premium prices. Ruth Chris' wouldn't last as long as there's a Longhorns and Cheesecake factory would suffer the same fate at the hands of Cheddars. I know my hometown. Some of you will be like, no no no. But you know I'm telling the truth. And those companies know it as well.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:37 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,509 posts, read 15,119,198 times
The Magician, This main problem is comparing Augusta of 2018 to years ago.

Cyber is definitely changing this city. Most of the large projects in Augusta are downtown or the inner city.

The suburbs have the VAR in North Richmond, Sprouts shopping center in West Augusta, project jackson in North Augusta, Mullins Colony/The Plaza in Evans, Riverwatch/Furys Ferry development in North Richmond/Martinez, and redevelopment of the Aiken mall in Aiken. All nice projects, but separated by miles.

The Augusta Cyberworks, Georgia Cyber Center 2nd phase, $30 million Laney Walker apt building, Walton Oaks replacing Sunset, Riverwalk extension, and Hyatt House are under construction in a 3-5 mile radius.

The mixed-use development at the Train depot, MCG Foundation mixed-use project, and large mixed-use development off Wrightsboro road could break ground before 2019. All within the same 3-5 mile vicinity.

Last edited by nortonguy; 09-13-2018 at 02:57 PM..

Old 09-14-2018, 11:12 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,393,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGnative View Post
The Outcome of Villages at Riverwatch is far cry from what was initially proposed. Also don't forget this devt received millions in TAD tax subsidies which I found absurd for such prime realestate abutting I-20 and Riverwatch. It's really a fallacy to call this Villages at Riverwatch. It is hardly the new urbanist village that was hyped over a decade ago. Instead it looks like another Augusta Exchange.
What about the Mullins phase 2 in Evans? The only stores over there is Augusta / north Augusta hand me down stores. I thought it supposed to be the NeXt Best thing and MAke Evans Great Again. You would’ve thought with the money you claim Evans have over there they would’ve landed a big fish. Nope only sandwiches shop stores what a joke. I’m more disappointed about Mullins phase 2 then VAR

Old 09-16-2018, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
The Magician, This main problem is comparing Augusta of 2018 to years ago.

Cyber is definitely changing this city. Most of the large projects in Augusta are downtown or the inner city.

The suburbs have the VAR in North Richmond, Sprouts shopping center in West Augusta, project jackson in North Augusta, Mullins Colony/The Plaza in Evans, Riverwatch/Furys Ferry development in North Richmond/Martinez, and redevelopment of the Aiken mall in Aiken. All nice projects, but separated by miles.

The Augusta Cyberworks, Georgia Cyber Center 2nd phase, $30 million Laney Walker apt building, Walton Oaks replacing Sunset, Riverwalk extension, and Hyatt House are under construction in a 3-5 mile radius.

The mixed-use development at the Train depot, MCG Foundation mixed-use project, and large mixed-use development off Wrightsboro road could break ground before 2019. All within the same 3-5 mile vicinity.
Weren't those the projects across from the Castleberry's plant? Don't give me the rundown as if I don't know. I still follow what happens in Augusta. All the other projects/developments you mentioned don't mean anything. The best thing going is the Cyber Center. In the next few years, Augusta SHOULD look totally different. At least, downtown.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:26 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,509 posts, read 15,119,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
Weren't those the projects across from the Castleberry's plant? Don't give me the rundown as if I don't know. I still follow what happens in Augusta. All the other projects/developments you mentioned don't mean anything. The best thing going is the Cyber Center. In the next few years, Augusta SHOULD look totally different. At least, downtown.
Yes, those were the former projects. I disagree concerning the rest don't mean anything. Augusta Cybeworks is renovating two old mills that cover over 1 million square feet.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Yes, those were the former projects. I disagree concerning the rest don't mean anything. Augusta Cybeworks is renovating two old mills that cover over 1 million square feet.
I agree. But the Cyber Center is going to have much more of an impact.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:22 PM

180 posts, read 159,172 times
Is Walton Oaks on the old Sunset property only going to be 1 building? Can someone post a link or rendering of the entire development?

Old 09-21-2018, 11:25 AM

36 posts, read 40,023 times
"Details: This 30-acre site is bounded by 15th and Poplar Streets, Lee Beard Way and Swanee Quintet Boulevard. The plan is to complete four phases of residential development by late 2020 with a total of 410 units."

https://www.augustatomorrow.com/port...redevelopment/

Old 09-21-2018, 02:27 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,521,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sartree View Post
"Details: This 30-acre site is bounded by 15th and Poplar Streets, Lee Beard Way and Swanee Quintet Boulevard. The plan is to complete four phases of residential development by late 2020 with a total of 410 units."

https://www.augustatomorrow.com/port...redevelopment/
Hate to be cynical but I will believe it when I see it. Most of what is listed on the Augusta Tomorrow website are "aspirational" development projects. Over the past 35 years they have hyped up many big transformational projects, specifically for downtown. A few have come to fruition but most of them were pipe dreams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area