Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 08:01 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times

Advertisements

Anyone have expereince with these schools???

any input on Cherokee County? Yes bob I know u love it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 09:10 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Of the two, Sequoyah is the better school IMO. Cherokee gets alot of the "questionable citizenship status" kids from downtown Canton, which doesn't help the program, sorry to say. Sequoyah made Newsweek's list of top high schools- not that that's a definite sign of anything, but some people put faith in it. There's also Creekview High School, which is only a few years old and seems to be getting rave reviews from the parents I've met with kids there, and there's a new HS being built right now that will open for the 2010 school year (I believe the new MS next to it is opening this year).

And yes, we do love it out here.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:34 PM

ok great so when I look on realtor.com Am I looking in Canton? I didnt care for parent reviews on CreekView, I did like Sequoyah though...and im not sure about Alpharetta Elem? I did LOVE Sixes though from what i was reading..

Old 04-25-2009, 01:46 PM

247 posts, read 1,290,438 times
Kids in Canton are zoned for either Sequoyah High, Cherokee High or Woodstock High School. All are good schools, but as Bob said Cherokee does have the destinction of having many immigrant students. Sequoyah is great and Woodstock is very good too.

When you look on realtor, don't necesarily look by schools. Many realtors put in the incorrect schools. I have several homes on my street alone that are for sale, sometimes they say Cherokee High, sometimes they say Woodstock High (we are correctly zoned for Woodstock)

Here is a link to the boundaries:
School Boundaries 2009-10 (http://www.cherokee.k12.ga.us/departments/planning/School%20Boundaries%20200910/Forms/AllItems.aspx - broken link)

Old 04-25-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf73 View Post
Kids in Canton are zoned for either Sequoyah High, Cherokee High or Woodstock High School. All are good schools, but as Bob said Cherokee does have the destinction of having many immigrant students. Sequoyah is great and Woodstock is very good too.

When you look on realtor, don't necesarily look by schools. Many realtors put in the incorrect schools. I have several homes on my street alone that are for sale, sometimes they say Cherokee High, sometimes they say Woodstock High (we are correctly zoned for Woodstock)

Here is a link to the boundaries:
School Boundaries 2009-10 (http://www.cherokee.k12.ga.us/departments/planning/School%20Boundaries%20200910/Forms/AllItems.aspx - broken link)

Thank You

I do have to say, I really Seqouah so far...Woodstock got very mixed reviews, so id like to hear any opinions from people who have or had children there??

Again thank you so much this is all such great info..

Ok so im confused..lol....how many elem schools and which middle school feeds into Seqouah??? Is there a way to find out what Subdivisions go to this high school and the feeder schools? I know eventually I will contact a realtor, however I figure I will start with the basics 1st..and then if we get a 2nd trip I will be sure to call someone to show us..We are looking to rent for the 1st year, 1800-2500 a month...

Old 04-25-2009, 04:44 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Those maps that Graywolf linked to are ridiculously huge (13mb), but they appear to be the most current source of boundaries. They just re-shuffled the schools on the east end of the county due to the new middle school that's set to open, so the maps will be more reliable than anything I tell you....lol.

If you're looking at Sequoyah, look at the area that's listed as "Sequoyah 9-12 on the map- the area that says "Sequoyah 10-12" will be served by the new River Ridge HS for anyone entering 9th grade- kids that are already in Sequoyah who live in that area will finish at Sequoyah.

The big subdivisions that are in your eventual price range that feed into Sequoyah are Harmony on the Lakes, Bradshaw Farms, and Bradshaw Estates. There are a few other smaller and/or older developments that will feed into there as well. HOTL is served by Holly Springs ES and Dean Rusk Middle, and the Bradshaw developments are served by Hickory Flat ES and Dean Rusk. Hickory Flat, Dean Rusk, and Sequoyah are all on the same campus as the corner of East Cherokee Dr and Hickory Road, and Holly Springs ES is about 3 miles down the road, on the opposite side of Harmony on the Lakes. Both elementary schools get great reviews, and I've been thoroughly impressed with the education my kids are getting at Holly Springs ES.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Those maps that Graywolf linked to are ridiculously huge (13mb), but they appear to be the most current source of boundaries. They just re-shuffled the schools on the east end of the county due to the new middle school that's set to open, so the maps will be more reliable than anything I tell you....lol.

If you're looking at Sequoyah, look at the area that's listed as "Sequoyah 9-12 on the map- the area that says "Sequoyah 10-12" will be served by the new River Ridge HS for anyone entering 9th grade- kids that are already in Sequoyah who live in that area will finish at Sequoyah.

The big subdivisions that are in your eventual price range that feed into Sequoyah are Harmony on the Lakes, Bradshaw Farms, and Bradshaw Estates. There are a few other smaller and/or older developments that will feed into there as well. HOTL is served by Holly Springs ES and Dean Rusk Middle, and the Bradshaw developments are served by Hickory Flat ES and Dean Rusk. Hickory Flat, Dean Rusk, and Sequoyah are all on the same campus as the corner of East Cherokee Dr and Hickory Road, and Holly Springs ES is about 3 miles down the road, on the opposite side of Harmony on the Lakes. Both elementary schools get great reviews, and I've been thoroughly impressed with the education my kids are getting at Holly Springs ES.
Can anyone tell me WHAT HIGH SCHOOL "BRIDGEMILL" Sub division goes too...I see Woodstock listed and Cherokee HS listed as well on some of the listings..

Ok so now im completely confused..LOL...I saw a rental WE LOVE in Bridgemill that is in our price range to rent...alot of the homes I saw were in Freedom Middle and Sequoyah HS..the elem I wasnt so thrilled about...eesshhh my head is spinning...lol

We would like amenities, pool, clubhouse, tennis courts, etc...and social things within the community so dh and I would be able to meet people and the kids would be able to do things within the community as well...

Last edited by Swimmom32; 04-25-2009 at 09:42 PM..

Old 04-25-2009, 10:47 PM

263 posts, read 798,178 times
Both of my girls graduated from Sequoyah. I feel they got a good education and they liked it there fairly well.

Sorry, I can't answer you question about what school Bridgemill goes to, but that community has a pool, maybe 2. They have golf as well as a golf club with restaurant. I believe you will pay quite a bit of money to join the club though...

I live in a much smaller neighborhood (smaller than Bridgemill or Bradshaw Farms) but it's wonderful. There are several homes for sale right now here and if you are interested PM and I will tell you where

Old 04-26-2009, 07:03 AM

247 posts, read 1,290,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
Can anyone tell me WHAT HIGH SCHOOL "BRIDGEMILL" Sub division goes too...I see Woodstock listed and Cherokee HS listed as well on some of the listings..

Ok so now im completely confused..LOL...I saw a rental WE LOVE in Bridgemill that is in our price range to rent...alot of the homes I saw were in Freedom Middle and Sequoyah HS..the elem I wasnt so thrilled about...eesshhh my head is spinning...lol

We would like amenities, pool, clubhouse, tennis courts, etc...and social things within the community so dh and I would be able to meet people and the kids would be able to do things within the community as well...

It depends on what part of Bridgemill you live in. Parts are zoned for Sixes, Freedom, Woodstock and the other parts are Liberty, Freedom, Cherokee. If you are talking about renting in the cottages they are zoned for SFW.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:57 PM

We actually saw a house on the Golf Course, I dont remember the name of the street..but if its still available and dh gets this job, we will come back and see it..We spoke to the owner today when were driving around...where are the Cottages in the development??? i know we got lost going to the amenity center..Now here is a question if u can answer...the pool and other amenities arent included in an HOA fee??? dh and my son want to learn to golf so we will see about that....anyone know what is included?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta