Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 03:39 PM

11 posts, read 45,711 times

Advertisements

These are the two job offers I have on the table right now (with a slightly more lenient hours requirement in Birmingham). How different is the cost of living between these two cities, including tax, housing, food, etc? Birmingham seems generally more accessible than Atlanta (less traffic, less sprawl, etc), but Atlanta has more nice city perks. Any insight would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 03:47 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,855,476 times
I think that both cities will be great. Birmingham does have alot of traffic, but compared to Atlanta, it's nothing. Birmingham tends to sprawl more to the far south and to the east. Atlanat spreads everywhere. This statement can help you figure out which city has the worst traffic. Birmingham and Atlanta's home prices are somewhat similar....I think Birmingham's is a little more reasonable.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:50 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,539,125 times
If you are single I'd chose Atlanta. I have a very good friend who moved here from Birmingham and has repeatedly said it is not a good place for singles in any regard. I have been there a few times and the suburbs are very nice. It never really seems like there is a lot going on though. Atlanta is definitely bigger and has many perks but you also can find a quiet suburb if that is what you are seeking. I don't think there is too much difference in the cost of living but maybe someone else can comment on COL.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:50 PM

239 posts, read 925,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartIthaca View Post
These are the two job offers I have on the table right now (with a slightly more lenient hours requirement in Birmingham). How different is the cost of living between these two cities, including tax, housing, food, etc? Birmingham seems generally more accessible than Atlanta (less traffic, less sprawl, etc), but Atlanta has more nice city perks. Any insight would be great!
Umm...Can I have whichever job you turn down!?

But seriously, I'm assuming you are single with no children (since you didn't mention either). $145K should afford you a quite comfortable life in ATL, as long as you don't have any crazy out of control spending habits or debt. I don't know about Birmingham - but I would imagine you wouldn't have a problem there either.

Cost of living aside, I would choose Atlanta over Birmingham any day.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:33 PM

51 posts, read 164,473 times
I would pick Atlanta over Bombingham any day of the week.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:45 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,363,490 times
Congratulations on the two job offers. Financially, you should be able to get by in either city. I agree with posters who recommend Atlanta for singles though. Also, you may want to consider which job has the better job security. In this economy you can't be too careful!!!

Old 01-22-2009, 08:02 PM

625 posts, read 1,152,745 times
most people in ATL would kill to have that income, that's tight... IF you want to LIVE, move to Atlanta.

If you want to stay in your suburbia enclave with your kids and live a sheltered life than this ain't the place for ya, but if you want to party come here and we know how to treat our guests.

and if your feelin generous hit me up LOL!!

Old 01-22-2009, 08:22 PM

11 posts, read 45,711 times
Thank you all for your replies. i am a single-26 year-old, so from what you say, ATL sounds better. If possible, I'd actually like to live fairly near where i work. I'm from NYC, and am used to walking everywhere (I know it's not completely possible to do that in the South, but I'd like to make as little use of my car as possible). Is there decent housing around the Peachtree/17th st. area? Even a small condo would fit my needs if it's safe, clean, etc.

Thanks again.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:13 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,384,508 times
Depending on what you are looking for, there is tons of housing around 17th/Peachtree. Just across the interstate, less than one mile, is Atlantic Station. Atlantic Station is one of the new shopping/entertainment centers of Atlanta. Some bars, movie theater, several restaurants, shops, grocery store, Target, Ikea, etc. And all much nicer than a strip-mall type atmosphere.

Also in/around Atlantic station are a load of single family homes, townhomes (basic to nice), apartments, and high-rise condo buildings. All of this is easily walkable in 15 minutes from 17th/Peachtree.

Just to the east is a neighborhood of nicer homes and mostly quiet streets.

Not too far away is Buckhead, which is easily the top area in Atlanta for the bar scene. Virginia Highlands isn't far either, and it's a decent bar/shop area as well, much more "laid back" than Buckhead.

As a single guy, 145k will buy you a very nice life in this city (as it should just about anywhere!). With that kind of salary, you can live just about anywhere...take your pick.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:13 PM

989 posts, read 1,746,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartIthaca View Post
Thank you all for your replies. i am a single-26 year-old, so from what you say, ATL sounds better. If possible, I'd actually like to live fairly near where i work. I'm from NYC, and am used to walking everywhere (I know it's not completely possible to do that in the South, but I'd like to make as little use of my car as possible). Is there decent housing around the Peachtree/17th st. area? Even a small condo would fit my needs if it's safe, clean, etc.

Thanks again.
Well, I guess the good news is that if you job is probably in Atlantic Station and you could virtually walk to everyday things like, grocery store, shopping, movie theater, work. There are plenty of excellent housing options for you in the area, the downside being it's not quiet, especially on the weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta