Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2006, 05:04 PM

436 posts, read 683,212 times

Advertisements

I have lived in nine states & 2 countries abroad. I started reading this board because of the threads on Georgia. I moved to Roswell in 1971 (and left in 1980). I have family still living in Roswell & Woodstock, extended family in Buckhead & Sandy Springs - and I visit once a year (usually) since I've left. So, where am I going with this post? Well, I read this fellows post & jeez - he nailed it, pretty much my take on the area. He wrote the following:

"Reality vs. City Marketing

Ok, I hate to drop this on you, and I mean no personal offense to anyone in here if this applies to you - however, if you want to avoid an "overly religious" atmosphere as well as various other problems, you do not want to move to the South... anywhere.

Let me be more specific: If you move INSIDE the city of Atlanta, you won't see a lot of this. Most Atlanta residents are from tons of different and diverse places in the world, so you don't tend to see any one particular religion "taking over the mentality" so to speak. However, by moving into the city, what you GAIN is high crime (Atlanta has been ranked up to the 4th most dangerous city per capita by some studies), a horrible public school system, poor air quality, and so on. In other words, "typical big city crap".

Ok, so you move out to the suburbs to get away from the worst of the big city problems, right? Well, you gain others. Go to Alpharetta and as was mentioned above by someone else, the traffic and commute is horrible. Sliding over east a bit to Gwinett County (where so many transplants seem to move), and you gain traffic that is almost as bad as that on GA400 (Alpharetta) - the school system in Gwinnett is overburdoned with so many students many go to classes in portable trailers, and teachers struggle to keep up with so many immigrant students that up to 30 native languages are spoken in some schools.

Go south of the city? Crime. West, perhaps? Well, "Smyrna" is rapidly gaining a Latino population and traffic problems of its own. Further still to Powder Springs, Dallas, or Hiram, and some might say "redneckish", and you will then start to find that "very strong religious attitude". Once you go far enough into the suburbs in pretty much any direction, you find much less diversity, and much more of the religious stuff - but not diverse religious stuff - "Southern Baptist" (the most strict and some would say most uptight of all). Sorry to sound like I'm knocking one particular denomination, but Southern Baptists DO tend to have that "witch hunt" mentality... (if they don't like something, they do their best to get rid of it), etc.

In short - Atlanta still for whatever reason has the reputation as "The place" to move to, in short due to the number of available jobs and growth. Quality of life however, doesn't seem to be rated by those who suggest the move, and it's wrongfully ASSUMED by many, that the growth/job market also equals a healthy quality of life. It does not. I moved to Atlanta in 1984 and back then it was a much nicer city. Since that time, literally every single person I knew in that first ten years (about 25+ people) has left the Atlanta area completely. All of them. They've moved to other cities thoughout the country and in each case, wind up calling me saying, "Oh my god, it's SO much nicer here than Atlanta....". The crime, traffic, and smog in Atlanta have increased to such an extent during that time that even I have moved about 25+ miles outside the city, and plan in the next year or two to just completely leave Georgia, as the growth and problems spread out too rapidly to keep up with moving outward still yet again every few years.

There are some folks who just love it here. I can only say I do not, and I have known those many people who left after living in the area for a while. There are small pockets of nice suburbia throughout the area, but I'm personally not content to live in a "pocket" that is surrounded by problems that are only growing at a rate of around 65,000 new residents per year (average metro area growth). If you have no specific jobs lined up and are literally "starting over fresh" with a relocation, you may want to consider places like Spokane or Bellevue Washington, Portland Maine, Portland Oregon, Wheeling West Virginia - all of which get high ratings for "best places to live".

-I suggest you pay heed to his observations/opinions, as they ring mostly all accurate. In the end though I suppose it depends where one has come from if a move to the suburbs around the 400 & I-whatever freeways are a step up, or a fall down - myself, I hate driving in traffic, I value my lungs, and although I like choosing from 14 kinds of fish to eat for dinner from Whole Foods & shopping up the kazoo..at 50+ that step down quality-of-life is a no contender. I suppose if you have to move back to help elderly parents, et al, then you must - but I hope that's not your situation!

Last edited by brian_2; 06-05-2006 at 05:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2006, 07:46 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,701,902 times
Thanks for your post. I was looking to relocate to Dallas, GA from Hickory NC but after reading your paragraph I will keep looking.

“ Go south of the city? Crime. West, perhaps? Well, "Smyrna" is rapidly gaining a Latino population and traffic problems of its own. Further still to Powder Springs, Dallas, or Hiram, and some might say "redneckish", and you will then start to find that "very strong religious attitude". Once you go far enough into the suburbs in pretty much any direction, you find much less diversity, and much more of the religious stuff - but not diverse religious stuff - "Southern Baptist" (the most strict and some would say most uptight of all). Sorry to sound like I'm knocking one particular denomination, but Southern Baptists DO tend to have that "witch hunt" mentality... (if they don't like something, they do their best to get rid of it), etc.”

I retired and bought a home in Hickory, NC. When I first moved in neighbors were friendly. I got several invitations to attend the local churches which I refused. Now the only thing I get from a neighbor is an occasional hand wave. I have learned that the various local congregations have been instructed by their church leaders not to associated with people who do not attend church. Some churches even go to the extend of not associating with other religious denominations. “Redneckish” is a polite way to describe it. I thought rednecks went the way of the caveman, but no they are alive and well. I was stationed, (USMC), in NC many years ago. I liked NC and thought it would be a good place to retire. Now retired in NC I realize I made a mistake. Anyway, I put my house on the market and am looking for a new place to retire. Dallas, GA was a good prospect but after reading your post I will reconsider.
(I am not bashing religious people or rednecks. I believe each one of us has a right to live as we choose and I respect all religious denominations. However, if you are from a liberal area I suggest you consider these facts when relocating to the south).

Old 06-14-2006, 04:50 PM

722 posts, read 3,319,722 times
Dallas is a good growing area and has a growing number of Catholics and people from other religions. I live in one of those so-called Redneck Towns and while I do agree that some southern baptists act all holier than thou, most of them are wonderful kind people who keep their beliefs to themselves for the most part. I agree with some of his stuff but a lot of that post just seems like whining. And what's wrong with Smyrna gaining a latino population?? If he doesn't like latino immigrants than he should just come out and say it. Please don't let his post hinder you. I want you to check out this area and see the good and the bad but It's really not as bad as he says it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta