Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 08:39 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
I beg to differ on this. Considering the city limits of Charlotte proper has about 150,000 more in population than the City of Atlanta. Also, Tryon Street and the surrounding areas boast many restaurants and establishments. The main difference is I can walk around the street there without being panhandled to death like Atlanta.

If your young and single you will actually have a ball in both locations.
Now, Georgia does have less income tax than North Carolina and you will find the real estate cheaper in Atlanta too.
Charlotte is larger in population than Atlanta because it covers a much larger area through annexations. Charlotte is 280 square miles, Atlanta is 132 square miles. If we had census numbers for 280 square miles for Atlanta...there would be well over 1 million residents. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with Charlotte being 280 square miles, but just that it is much more expansive than Atlanta, but not necessarily more populated. It's easy to tell that Atlanta is a bigger city - just by looking at and comparing the two.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:31 PM

360 posts, read 1,011,483 times
A question on nightlife: Why are 200 clubs better than 75 clubs? Most people tend to go to the same bar anyway. When I was in my 20s, I lived in Greensboro, N.C., and went to the same two bars for 10 years. I never felt like I was missing out on anything. In fact, I felt like I gained because I really got to know the people at them as opposed to constantly being exposed to strangers and having the same introductory conversations over and over and over!

People always talk about NYC and diss Atlanta because there are so many more clubs, etc. So what? Why would one care what 6 million other people are doing as long as YOU'RE having fun? LOL!

Old 10-31-2008, 01:07 PM

I would guess that having more choices (200 vs. 75) is more appealing to most people. If you are the type that wants a neighborhood bar and never want to do or go anywhere different then you wouldn't need any choices...but I don't think the majority of people are satisfied with limited options.

There is also an element of competition in places with lots of bars and clubs to choose from. When I've lived in a smaller city, I sometimes noticed tgat the clubs can get a little shabby looking and skimp on upkeep/improvements, where in a city with lots of clubs that HAVE to do things to stand out and draw the crowds if they want to last.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:47 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,048,281 times
I agree. Atlanta and charlotte are not that far off from each other. The biggest diffference is the feel of the two cities. I would say that Charlotte is more east coast and Atlanta is more downsouth. And by the Atl folks don't forget that Charlotte is actually a lot bigger than Atlanta. The metro area of Atlanta is just bigger than Charlottes. Both areas have nba,nfl, and nascar. Both areas have world class musuems and amusement parks. Both areas have reliable mass transit systems(HEAVY TRAFFIC). Both areas rank in the top ten in Fortune 500 headquarters. And by the way, Charlotte is actually the 5th largest urban area in the country behind NYC,CHI-town,LA, and MIA. 12million people live with 100sqmiles of Charlotte compared to only 7million people within 100sq miles of ATL. I know that there is a little rivalry between the two cities and both embellish but you would really love both of them. And by the way Alpharetta can't even compare to Gastonia,NC.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:55 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,185,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
I know that there is a little rivalry between the two cities and both embellish but you would really love both of them. And by the way Alpharetta can't even compare to Gastonia,NC.
I think that comes from the Charlotte end. You'd rarely see Charlotte mentioned on Atlanta discussion forums but from my experience, thats not the case the other way around.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:51 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,095,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
I agree. Atlanta and charlotte are not that far off from each other. The biggest diffference is the feel of the two cities. I would say that Charlotte is more east coast and Atlanta is more downsouth. And by the Atl folks don't forget that Charlotte is actually a lot bigger than Atlanta. The metro area of Atlanta is just bigger than Charlottes. Both areas have nba,nfl, and nascar. Both areas have world class musuems and amusement parks. Both areas have reliable mass transit systems(HEAVY TRAFFIC). Both areas rank in the top ten in Fortune 500 headquarters. And by the way, Charlotte is actually the 5th largest urban area in the country behind NYC,CHI-town,LA, and MIA. 12million people live with 100sqmiles of Charlotte compared to only 7million people within 100sq miles of ATL. I know that there is a little rivalry between the two cities and both embellish but you would really love both of them. And by the way Alpharetta can't even compare to Gastonia,NC.
Charlotte is even smaller than what you posted...metro population actually around 1.5 million (2 million is probably Charlottian (sp?) wishful thinking...!)

One cannot really compare Charlotte and Atlanta...they are in two totally different leagues! It would be liking posting...New York City vs. Tulsa?

Charlotte's league of cities: Nashville, Birmingham, Jacksonville, Louisville, Richmond, Wichita, St. Paul, etc.

Atlanta's league of cities: Dallas, Boston, Miami, NYC, Chicago, Seattle, LA, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Lisbon, Santiago, etc.

It's a big mistake to compare Atlanta and Charlotte as if Atlanta is still a pre-1970 provincial Southern city.

Atlanta is a major world city. It's on the international radar as a center of business and economic primacy.

And they are far from each other Charlotte is so much smaller in toltal area than atlanta you say Alpharetta has nothing on gastonia I say South park Will never have anything on buckhead South park can just be a section of buckhead Lets see if Charlotte will ever get the olympics if there are so much alike Charlotte looks like atlanta in the 80s. we are way ahead of charlotte in mass transit you guys just got light rail and i mean its very light traffic is alot worse than charlottes and plus when you enter in atlanta you feel like you are in a big city when you go to charlotte you feel like your in town

[+] Rate this post positively

Old 11-07-2008, 03:54 PM

606 posts, read 2,005,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Charlotte is even smaller than what you posted...metro population actually around 1.5 million (2 million is probably Charlottian (sp?) wishful thinking...!)

One cannot really compare Charlotte and Atlanta...they are in two totally different leagues! It would be liking posting...New York City vs. Tulsa?

Charlotte's league of cities: Nashville, Birmingham, Jacksonville, Louisville, Richmond, Wichita, St. Paul, etc.

Atlanta's league of cities: Dallas, Boston, Miami, NYC, Chicago, Seattle, LA, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Lisbon, Santiago, etc.

It's a big mistake to compare Atlanta and Charlotte as if Atlanta is still a pre-1970 provincial Southern city.

Atlanta is a major world city. It's on the international radar as a center of business and economic primacy.

And they are far from each other Charlotte is so much smaller in toltal area than atlanta you say Alpharetta has nothing on gastonia I say South park Will never have anything on buckhead South park can just be a section of buckhead Lets see if Charlotte will ever get the olympics if there are so much alike Charlotte looks like atlanta in the 80s. we are way ahead of charlotte in mass transit you guys just got light rail and i mean its very light traffic is alot worse than charlottes and plus when you enter in atlanta you feel like you are in a big city when you go to charlotte you feel like your in town

[+] Rate this post positively
[RIGHT] [/RIGHT]
So it's not ok to compare Atlanta and NYC but it's not ok to compare Atlanta and Charlotte ? Atlanta is not in the same league as cities like NYC, Chicago, L.A., etc.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:32 PM

Nope you cant compare Atlanta to Charlotte Atlanta will swallow charlotte in one BITE

Old 11-11-2008, 01:55 PM

Charlotte has just become a big city in recent years...and it has gained more national attention through its corporate headquarters over the last 2 decades. Atlanta has been a large, nationally known for many years and more recently internationally.

Give it some more time and Charlotte will probably be comparable to Atlanta. They will both surely continue to grow, but there is a point where the differences aren't as pronounced - Charlotte will be at that point in 10 years or so I think.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:05 PM

And atlanta will be even bigger in 10 years id say 20 years and charlotte will be on point its really not a big city to me i dont get that when i go to charlotte i feel like i am in a mid sized city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta