Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2015, 07:44 AM

4 posts, read 12,788 times

Advertisements

I just can't go through all the pages in this thread! So my list may be repetitious:

Planter's Mr. Peanut Store on Carnegie Ave. across from the old Atlanta Carnegie Library.

Being able to safely ride the bus from Morningside area down to Downtown AS A 9 YEAR OLD GIRL! Go to the library alone, check out books alone, go to Mr. Peanut Store alone, and ride the bus back home - alone. I miss the safety!!

Public civilized behavior

The Arcade - the building that bridged between Peachtree and Pryor Streets just up the hill South from Alabama

Old Sears store - riding down that loooong escalator and smelling the roasting nuts

Duckett's Army-Navy Store

The smell of Walinsky's Leather

Theatres that showed decent movies that a kid could go to

The Saturday movies for kids - we went at 10am and got out at 2pm after watching the serials for the week

The dairy farm that used to be where Ansley Mall is now

And these are just for starters - off the top of my head!

I'll be back and add more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlemom04 View Post
I just can't go through all the pages in this thread! So my list may be repetitious:

Planter's Mr. Peanut Store on Carnegie Ave. across from the old Atlanta Carnegie Library.

Being able to safely ride the bus from Morningside area down to Downtown AS A 9 YEAR OLD GIRL! Go to the library alone, check out books alone, go to Mr. Peanut Store alone, and ride the bus back home - alone. I miss the safety!!

Public civilized behavior

The Arcade - the building that bridged between Peachtree and Pryor Streets just up the hill South from Alabama

Old Sears store - riding down that loooong escalator and smelling the roasting nuts

Duckett's Army-Navy Store

The smell of Walinsky's Leather

Theatres that showed decent movies that a kid could go to

The Saturday movies for kids - we went at 10am and got out at 2pm after watching the serials for the week

The dairy farm that used to be where Ansley Mall is now

And these are just for starters - off the top of my head!

I'll be back and add more!

Mrs. Rhodes Bakery on Piedmont

The Paradise Room in the Henry Grady Hotel on Peachtree just north of Davison's

Woolworth's across Peachtree from Davison's - their chicken salad sandwiches were legendary!

Regenstein's Department Store (for men)

J. P. Allen's Department Store

The George Muse Clothing Company building was a department store (until 1992) at 52 Peachtree Street NE.

There was a rather famous shoe store on Peachtree near Woolworth's. I remember my feet being x-rayed to determine if the new shoes were a good fit. I had so many x-rays of my feet, that years later I wondered if I would get cancer of my feet!

The Round Table on Piedmont at Lindbergh - wonderful food!!

As memories surface, I'll be back!

Old 10-30-2015, 09:20 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlemom04 View Post
There was a rather famous shoe store on Peachtree near Woolworth's. I remember my feet being x-rayed to determine if the new shoes were a good fit. I had so many x-rays of my feet, that years later I wondered if I would get cancer of my feet!
Thompson Boland Lee. Did you ever run up those stairs?

Check out more photos here.

Unexpected Glamour: The Forgotten Work of James F. Eppenstein, Part 2 | Forgotten Chicago | History, Architecture, and Infrastructure

Old 10-30-2015, 05:05 PM

I remember going to the Atlanta Municipal Auditorium in the evenings in the 40's for the occasional concert, but mostly for the Shriner's Circus! We would come out into the dark night, and cross Hurt Park. The fountain would be going with the light display. What a wonder for a child - but also for the adults!

The Municipal Auditorium, for those who are newcomers (either by birth or by migration), is now one of the Georgia State buildings. It is now the Lanette L. Suttles Child Development Center.

When it was the Municipal Auditorium, it was where almost everything happened! Concerts by the Atlanta Symphony, led by Henry Sopkin (at which the Atlanta people had a well-deserved reputation for being among the rudest), Saturday Night Wrestling, daytime concerts for City of Atlanta school system (I went to all of them from 2nd grade through 8th grade and learned to appreciate and even love and prefer classical music to "pop"), Shriner's Circus (as mentioned above) and nearly every other event that was appropriate for an auditorium. The major exception was the annual visit of the Metropolitan Opera (for which I wanted tickets so badly I could taste it all my life and only got there twice).

Wow, the old memory is working overtime!

Old 10-30-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Here's one for you dancing fools...remember the Limelight? I only went there a couple of times, but it was interesting.
I went to the Limelight regularly for 3 or 4 years! I LOVED that place! They had a wonderful Brandy Alexander.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,080 times
RL Hope Elementary School, Northside Highlander Elementary School Band (members from 11 Atlanta area elementary schools), Piedmont Drive-In, Zesto at Peachtree and Spring, Aunt Fanny's Cabin, Broadview Plaza (great place to view the broads), Lenox Square was open air with a grocery store, SS Kresge, Roy Price Gulf, Gene Price Gulf, Woolworth at Ansley Mall, Walgreen's dinner counter, Tom Mitchell Buick, Tom Mitchell Rambler, Mitchell Motors Oldsmobile, The Studebaker dealer downtown that also dealt Mercedes-Benz and DKW's, TV personalities Guy Sharp, Ray Moore, Mr. Pix, dozens more, Oxford Bookstore, A&P And Winn-Dixie stores at opposite ends of Peachtree Battle Shopping Center, Fred's Fruit Stand at Peachtree Battle, Peachtree Hills Apartments, Metro Music Center, Rhodes Movie Theater, The Great Speckled Bird, Springlake Pharmacy, Ida Williams Library on Pharr Road, Carnegie Library downtown (magnificent architecture sacrificed on the altar of commercial development), Lambert Motors, The Cyclorama....

Old 11-21-2015, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,023 times
Default Atlanta Nights in the 70's

I lived on Eastland Drive, just about 200 yards from the Scott Blvd Billy's. Great place to hang out with friends. We still met there for years after I moved south. Anyone remember how great Underground was in the early to mid 70's, before MARTA destroyed it? Both sides of the street had clubs and bars, and on weekends you could choose from 3 or 4 clubs with live bands and the occasional Nickel Beer nights. My first job in college was working there and it was rockin' till 3 am!! It was still safe too - Sometimes I'd walk home, all the way to Colonial Homes, and never had a problem. You can't do that these days...

Old 11-21-2015, 08:38 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,152 times
I'm dating myself, but I knew that there was a reason I thought the Omni was an amusement park. I even have some polaroid shots from ad-lib comedy acing thing that my dad almost had a meltdown prior to what he thought was an exceptionally long escalator.

THE WORLD OF SID & MARTY KROFTT
What Went Wrong at The World of Sid and Marty Krofft? - Entertainment Designer

Gone but absolutely not forgotten. I feel like calling Karen from elementary school and finishing our argument about whether the Omni was only a hotel or I mistook if for Six Flags. I knew it was a real thing type amusement park that my family visited, but I just couldn't prove it because it came and went so quickly.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:39 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,217,346 times
I'm sure they've been mentioned by now, but:

Sizzler

Sargeant Singer's

Pizza Inn

Any video game arcade, but especially the ones at CNN Center and South DeKalb Mall.

For that matter, the movie theatres at the two above locations in the '90's.

Pizza Huts with jukeboxes and video games (cocktail/seated Ms. Pac-Man, Altered Beast) on Friday nights, when the line was around the corner.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 4,465 times
[url]https://www.etsy.com/listing/159621745/1969-bavarian-alpine-inns-inc[/url]

My friends and I went to Cross Keys and drank beer at the BAI. We would end the night by trying to climb the chalet roof by getting a running start to see how far up we could get. We would yell Hoot Mon which I think was written on the menus.

The Baja Boys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta