Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 09:08 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Is it Carmine something?
You're thinking of the Vara family; they bought it later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 08:46 AM

3 posts, read 4,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Is it Carmine something?
No.... it was Joe and John Fernandez. Backstreet started out as Joe's Disco. John was the brother who died on the camping trip.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:21 AM

3 posts, read 4,923 times
Since we're remembering old bars, how about Stephen's Saloon? It started in one location and successfully moved to another. Do you remember either, or both?

Old 04-29-2017, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 910 times
I used to be a bouncer at the Saint on Cheshire Bridge Rd. The cove used to be my spot for a sandwich and a beer at 10 am when I would get off work. Great place for the club folks to go. Does anyone remember the old Saint? Good times.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:51 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark164 View Post
I used to be a bouncer at the Saint on Cheshire Bridge Rd. The cove used to be my spot for a sandwich and a beer at 10 am when I would get off work. Great place for the club folks to go. Does anyone remember the old Saint? Good times.
As I recall the Saint used to have pretty decent jazz -- among other things.

Old 07-10-2018, 03:29 AM

783 posts, read 1,161,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I was in college and some of us went sulking around town one night with a couple of kids who had grown up in the area.

They took us to the Cove. Things we noticed:

1) Surprising lack of women in the bar.

2) The three women we saw had Adam's Apples.

3) Lots of men in their late 40s and 50s, sitting next to lots of men in their early 20s.

then...

4) Tina Turner walked in, only Tina Turner also had an Adam's Apple and was 6'2" with a deep voice.

Ahhhhh yes, those were the days. When your "friends" would tell you about this happenin' place, then take you in a gay hustler/pimp/trannie pickup bar and then when you (quickly) went to the bathroom, you come out to find that they disappeared and left you there.

I miss those days - NOT.
I never went there, although I lived in places on all sides of there, it was, from what I heard, simply too wild for my still very small town mindset, for all my surface veneer of sophistication in 1980-83...

Years later, what was it... Red Light Cafe? Had some great poetry reading scenes down in that cove area...1995-97 or so...

Old 07-10-2018, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectATLfilm View Post
ProjectATLfilm@rocketmail.com

Hey there everyone. My name is Mark. I'm 35 in California. My brother & I are both Gay. He currently lives in Atlanta, where I am from. I am going to be making a documentary on Atlanta Gay clubs circa 78-88. I never made it to any of the clubs (Cove, Plum Nelly, Illusions, etc.) but have always been fascinated by the places my brother would frequent. I was wondering if any of you would want to participate in the making of this film... pictures, interviews, any video??? If so or you have any questions, please contact us at ProjectATLfilm@rocketmail.com
Hello Mark, would be interested in knowing how your film project turned out, if you are still here...

Old 07-10-2018, 05:21 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Dockery View Post
I never went there, although I lived in places on all sides of there, it was, from what I heard, simply too wild for my still very small town mindset, for all my surface veneer of sophistication in 1980-83...

Years later, what was it... Red Light Cafe? Had some great poetry reading scenes down in that cove area...1995-97 or so...
You might be referring to the Red Chair on Amsterdam.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
You might be referring to the Red Chair on Amsterdam.
I might have blurred it from 20+ years memory, but I think this is the place, still around:

"Red Light Café is Atlanta's premiere listening room for Americana, Bluegrass, Country & Western, Folk, Blues, Jazz, Roots Rock, and everything in between — including some of the best Comedy Shows and Burlesque in the Southeast! Located on the east side of Piedmont Park in Midtown Atlanta's Amsterdam Walk, Red Light Café is a cozy live entertainment and music venue..."

Last edited by Will Dockery; 07-10-2018 at 05:36 AM..

Old 07-10-2018, 12:03 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Dockery View Post
I might have blurred it from 20+ years memory, but I think this is the place, still around:

"Red Light Café is Atlanta's premiere listening room for Americana, Bluegrass, Country & Western, Folk, Blues, Jazz, Roots Rock, and everything in between — including some of the best Comedy Shows and Burlesque in the Southeast! Located on the east side of Piedmont Park in Midtown Atlanta's Amsterdam Walk, Red Light Café is a cozy live entertainment and music venue..."
I have heard some durn good music over there. Good venue for singer songwriters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta