Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 07:01 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,816,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafood12 View Post
I know Atlanta isn't LCOL anymore, but I want to purchase a home in the next year or two when interest rates hopefully come down. My ex and I saved about 80k combined and split it in half which means I have 40k for a down payment. I know that doesn't go far in ATL, but it is impossible out here in the Inland Empire which isn't even the best area in Southern California. Also I don't require much just some decent hiking trails, good vegan food options, farmers market would be nice and of course a body of water. I love the outdoors.
Interest rates falling to closer what they were back about 4 years ago, will really depend on the election results this November. Even then, it could take a bit to fall, assuming things change in Washington.

$40k will be a decent amount down plus you may qualify for FDA loan or other types due to your situation.

Lot's of very beautiful outdoor things to do within 2 hours of ATL (northern GA, western SC, SW NC and SE TN).

Best of luck to you!

Old 04-22-2024, 09:17 AM

1,913 posts, read 1,276,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
By "Atlanta," she means Metro Atlanta not just Atlanta city proper - just like everyone else with sense does.

Marietta is "Atlanta" and Metro Atlanta.
She never said "Metro". So I'm not going to assume she did say it.

And Marietta is factually not Atlanta. It's named Marietta.

Old 04-22-2024, 12:40 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post

Feel free to continue being obtuse.

Again...

By "Atlanta," the OP means Metro Atlanta not just Atlanta city proper - just like everyone else with sense knows and realizes.

Old 04-22-2024, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Feel free to continue being obtuse.

Again...

By "Atlanta," the OP means Metro Atlanta not just Atlanta city proper - just like everyone else with sense knows and realizes.

I won't speak for the OP on what they meant if they didn't say it initially.

Yes, while Marietta can be considered METRO Atlanta, Marietta is not ATLANTA. I'll stick with geographical maps.

https://gisdata.fultoncountyga.gov/d...294941%2C10.21

Old 04-22-2024, 06:59 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Quote:

Quote:
I won't speak for the OP on what they meant if they didn't say it initially.

Yes, while Marietta can be considered METRO Atlanta, Marietta is not ATLANTA. I'll stick with geographical maps.

https://gisdata.fultoncountyga.gov/d...294941%2C10.21
Many people, particularly from outside of the Atlanta metropolitan area and the state of Georgia, view “Atlanta” as being a geographically large metropolitan region that is made up of numerous counties.

When people from outside of metro Atlanta and the state of Georgia make references to “Atlanta,” they are often talking about most of the greater Atlanta metropolitan area and not just the City of Atlanta proper.

The OP is an African-American from Southern California. So when the OP was referring to “Atlanta,” she most likely was talking about most of the thousands of square miles of the greater Atlanta metropolitan area (including the metro Atlanta counties of Fulton, DeKalb, Clayton, Cobb, Gwinnett, Rockdale, Newton, Henry, Fayette, Douglas, Paulding and Forsyth counties where there are significant concentrations of people-of-color) and not necessarily just the 136 square mile area of the City of Atlanta proper.

Last edited by Born 2 Roll; 04-22-2024 at 07:10 PM..

Old 04-22-2024, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Many people, particularly from outside of the Atlanta metropolitan area and the state of Georgia, view “Atlanta” as being a geographically large metropolitan region that is made up of numerous counties.

When people from outside of metro Atlanta and the state of Georgia make references to “Atlanta,” they are often talking about most of the greater Atlanta metropolitan area and not just the City of Atlanta proper.

The OP is an African-American from Southern California. So when the OP was referring to “Atlanta,” she most likely was talking about most of the thousands of square miles of the greater Atlanta metropolitan area (including the metro Atlanta counties of Fulton, DeKalb, Clayton, Cobb, Gwinnett, Rockdale, Newton, Henry, Fayette, Douglas, Paulding and Forsyth counties where there are significant concentrations of people-of-color) and not necessarily just the 136 square mile area of the City of Atlanta proper.
What does this have to do with anything?

Anyway, maybe I'm just being too "actual". I'm looking at buying property in LA (what I really mean is San Bernardino) LMAO.

Old 04-22-2024, 09:50 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Quote:
African-Americans outside of metro Atlanta and particularly outside of Georgia pretty much always are talking about most of metro Atlanta as a whole when they talk about “Atlanta.”

The significant concentrations of African-American residents in numerous other metro Atlanta jurisdictions beyond just the City of Atlanta proper alone seems to be a big reason why African-Americans in other parts of the U.S. pretty much are always talking about most of metro Atlanta as a whole when they talk about “Atlanta.”

People (including African-Americans who view “Atlanta” as the nation’s leading relocation destination or “Mecca” amongst multiple relocation meccas in the Sun Belt between Texas and the Atlantic Coast) outside of metro Atlanta and Georgia don’t really make any delineation between the City of Atlanta proper and the rest of metro Atlanta.

To most people in Georgia outside of metro Atlanta and to pretty much everyone outside of Georgia, “Atlanta” means metro Atlanta as a whole and not just the City of Atlanta proper.

Not necessarily unlike in other large major metropolitan areas, it’s metro Atlantans who most often delineate between different metro Atlanta jurisdictions very often as a way of describing where exactly they live and/or work within a large major metropolitan area like Atlanta.

So it seems to be understandable why a poster like the OP would be talking about metro Atlanta as a whole when talking about looking for a home in “Atlanta.”

The OP also made a direct reference to home prices in “metro Atlanta” in her original post and stated that the job that she was considering taking was located in Alpharetta, confirming that the OP was talking about metro Atlanta as a whole when referencing “Atlanta.”…

Quote:
Recently divorced African American Mom of one teenager currently living in Inland Empire CA. Currently make $110,000k. I have an offer to move to Atlanta for $76,000 (same field) which I am seriously considering due to Atlanta's lower cost of living, four seasons and of course vibrant AA community. Is 76k enough considering Atlanta seems to have gone up in price as well? I have been applying for jobs for quite some time now and this is the only solid offer I've received after months of applying. I think once I am a local I could potentially command a higher salary. I am also wanting to purchase a home within the next year or two so that is also a factor as CA home prices are very inflated for what you get even in the Inland Empire which used to be closer in price to metro Atlanta. Any thoughts, advice would be greatly appreciated.
Quote:
Great question. Sorry I should have mentioned that in the post. It is in Alpharetta.
Quote:
Alpharetta looks lovely so I can see why it has gotten so expensive. Unfortunately if its a job hub too I can't see prices going down anytime soon

Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM

705 posts, read 444,379 times
Quote:

You're being ridiculous and trying to act like you're smarter than everyone while really just showing ignorance. Atlanta city limits are particularly small for a city it's size. When people usually refer to Atlanta they're usually referring to the Atlanta metro area as a whole. They will actually go out there way to specify the city specifically when they're talking about Atlanta proper more than the opposite. The fact that you're sitting here arguing semantics about Marietta not being named Atlanta is laughable.

Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM

1,375 posts, read 926,328 times
Quote:

Anyway, maybe I'm just being too "actual". I'm looking at buying property in LA (what I really mean is San Bernardino) LMAO.
If Marietta isn't Atlanta, then Beverly Hills and Santa Monica aren't LA.

Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM

338 posts, read 299,222 times
For someone who just moved here from MN when I said Atlanta I meant Atlanta/Marietta/Alpharetta/Cumming/Johns Creek/Milton and all the cities around it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta