Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 05:46 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,303,518 times

Advertisements

What you're looking for will be found somewhere else than Atlanta which is also a major metro area with lots of transplants.

Also, the weather in Atlanta will not be warmer and less rainy. It will be more humid though. Probably less hail though, although hail is more of an issue in the outer burbs of DFW rather than in the city.

A smaller to mid-size city in an area of the country with less storm activity sounds like a better fit for you. As for looking into OKC, it's a good size for you, but the extreme weather is probably among the worst in the country and most likely has it's own set of allergens being on the edge of the Great Plains.

Last edited by R1070; 03-27-2024 at 05:57 PM..

Old 03-27-2024, 09:40 PM

9 posts, read 4,407 times
I also feel like Atlanta may have a lot of horn honking, but I could be wrong. I don't think I'm gonna consider it because I worry I'll have very bad allergies. Air quality, does Atlanta have clean air?

Old 03-28-2024, 08:24 AM

271 posts, read 302,561 times
Air quality here has improved since 2012, and from my brief research we fall in the 30-50 range nationally amongst cities.

You mentioned southern hospitality. I think people here are nice, but my experience has been that everyone here is from somewhere else. This is just my own experience, but in Johns Creek I rarely meet anyone who was born and raised here. Most are from other parts of the South, East or North. Just sharing in case you're expecting sweet ice tea and lemonade from your neighbors.

Not to go off on a tangent here, but Chicago is also a great choice if you're looking for somewhat affordable, urban, walkable and safe area with nice folks. Again-- my personal experience is that Chicago is filled with a lot of people from Iowa, Michigan, Indiana, etc. Very nice, clean and has great public transport.

Good luck!

Old 03-28-2024, 09:32 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,277,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethereds82 View Post
Air quality here has improved since 2012, and from my brief research we fall in the 30-50 range nationally amongst cities.

You mentioned southern hospitality. I think people here are nice, but my experience has been that everyone here is from somewhere else. This is just my own experience, but in Johns Creek I rarely meet anyone who was born and raised here. Most are from other parts of the South, East or North. Just sharing in case you're expecting sweet ice tea and lemonade from your neighbors.

Not to go off on a tangent here, but Chicago is also a great choice if you're looking for somewhat affordable, urban, walkable and safe area with nice folks. Again-- my personal experience is that Chicago is filled with a lot of people from Iowa, Michigan, Indiana, etc. Very nice, clean and has great public transport.

Good luck!
Agreed. For what the OP is looking for, Chicago may be a better option.

Old 03-28-2024, 09:53 AM

705 posts, read 444,938 times
I've experienced living in both Dallas and Atlanta, and while there are aspects of each city that I appreciate, there are also things that I find frustrating. Both cities have their unique characteristics, and while there are subtle differences between them that can make the difference between whether a particular individual may love one or hate it, there are far more similarities. I concur with others who believe that the differences between the two cities are not significant enough differences to make a difference for you personally IMO.. Atlanta, in my opinion, is less pretentious than Dallas, but it does have its own brand of pretensions, particularly in the realms of black culture and entertainment.

Old 03-28-2024, 11:27 AM

19,024 posts, read 14,201,797 times
If you want some more info on Hot 'Lanta, this links to an earlier post:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/60433223-post70.html

By the way, "Farch" is ending, and we're about to hit "summer" (70+ F)
Though true that there is dearth of public transit, Atlanta may yet transform itself. It was once the "Terminus" of many rail lines. There are multiple rights of way radiating outward. It wouldn't take much to institute commuter service 50-70 miles in any compass direction.

Old 03-28-2024, 05:56 PM

9 posts, read 4,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
I've experienced living in both Dallas and Atlanta, and while there are aspects of each city that I appreciate, there are also things that I find frustrating. Both cities have their unique characteristics, and while there are subtle differences between them that can make the difference between whether a particular individual may love one or hate it, there are far more similarities. I concur with others who believe that the differences between the two cities are not significant enough differences to make a difference for you personally IMO.. Atlanta, in my opinion, is less pretentious than Dallas, but it does have its own brand of pretensions, particularly in the realms of black culture and entertainment.
So then Atlanta has a different kind of pretentious culture. What makes me reconsider are mainly allergy problems and maybe much more traffic and less highways.

Old 03-28-2024, 08:03 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupastrany View Post
So then Atlanta has a different kind of pretentious culture. What makes me reconsider are mainly allergy problems and maybe much more traffic and less highways.
Atlanta and North Georgia may not have as extensive of a metropolitan network of freeways and multi-lane surface arterial roads as DFW and North Texas have. But Atlanta and North Georgia do generally have at least a noticeably scenic regional road network overall with the heavily wooded rolling, hilly and mountainous terrain of the region.

Old 03-29-2024, 05:59 AM

705 posts, read 444,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupastrany View Post
Allergies are terrible this is the worst place I've ever lived for allergies worst than Texas. Traffic is a decent amount worse than Dallas but Dallas has gotten a lot worse in the past few years with all the rapid growth it has experienced despite it seemingly building unlimited highways.

Old 03-30-2024, 01:40 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,211,422 times
Large metropolitan areas generally have traffic issues and at least some drivers who are aggressive and reckless, and Atlanta is no exception. It truly baffles me how you can visit Shreveport and assume that Atlanta has similar positive surface level characteristics. The South is not a monolithic region and its various sub-sections and large vs. small metropolitan areas tend to be fundamentally very different.

Regarding weather, Atlanta is going to be slightly cooler than Dallas/Fort Worth the vast majority of the time, especially in summer. There are plenty of thunderstorms which can sometimes be loud and disruptive but hail is a rare event. Many days in spring and fall, such as today, are absolutely beautiful with plenty of sun, gentle breezes, and pleasant temperature and humidity levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta