Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 01:11 PM

3 posts, read 1,886 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm a widowed mother of two relocating from California to Georgia. I'm in search of a diverse, family-friendly community with good schools—both public and charter options are considered. Criteria for "good" schools include decent funding, resources, extracurricular activities, and strong academic performance. My children will be entering middle school and high school.

Coming from a suburb in California, my children are the only black students in their respective grades. This wasn't a matter of choice, but rather a necessity due to my job. Now self-employed and working from home, I aim to find a community that not only prioritizes education but also embraces diversity. My rental budget is $5k, and I'm open to apartments, townhomes, or houses. It is my goal to move and find an area where I can settle down and eventually buy a house.

Staying within an hour of family in Conyers is preferable, and I'm currently exploring Duluth, Druid Hills, and Lawrenceville. Safety is paramount, and I'm keen on a community with a mix of young families and professionals—something balanced between a calm atmosphere and recreational options. Proximity to parks, shopping, and restaurants is a key consideration.

I'd love to hear opinions on Duluth, Druid Hills, and Lawrenceville. Any insights or recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 05:06 PM

217 posts, read 216,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calimama84 View Post
Hello,

I'm a widowed mother of two relocating from California to Georgia. I'm in search of a diverse, family-friendly community with good schools—both public and charter options are considered. Criteria for "good" schools include decent funding, resources, extracurricular activities, and strong academic performance. My children will be entering middle school and high school.

Coming from a suburb in California, my children are the only black students in their respective grades. This wasn't a matter of choice, but rather a necessity due to my job. Now self-employed and working from home, I aim to find a community that not only prioritizes education but also embraces diversity. My rental budget is $5k, and I'm open to apartments, townhomes, or houses. It is my goal to move and find an area where I can settle down and eventually buy a house.

Staying within an hour of family in Conyers is preferable, and I'm currently exploring Duluth, Druid Hills, and Lawrenceville. Safety is paramount, and I'm keen on a community with a mix of young families and professionals—something balanced between a calm atmosphere and recreational options. Proximity to parks, shopping, and restaurants is a key consideration.

I'd love to hear opinions on Duluth, Druid Hills, and Lawrenceville. Any insights or recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Hello and welcome! I have some places in mind for you to consider. One place is not necessarily better than any other, just different -- where you ultimately land may depend on what you decide to prioritize. Check out the list below*:

Brookwood High School cluster (Snellville area):
- Diversity: excellent
- Family-friendliness: very good
- School academic performance: very good
- School extracurriculars: excellent
- School district-wide funding and leadership: okay
- Housing affordability**: very good
- Proximity to Conyers: good
- Safety: very good
- Proximity to parks and recreation: okay
- Proximity to shopping and restaurants: very good

Mill Creek High School cluster and Seckinger High School cluster (Buford/Hamilton Mill area):
- Diversity: very good
- Family-friendliness: very good
- School academic performance: very good
- Housing affordability**: good
- Proximity to Conyers: poor
- Safety: excellent
- Proximity to parks and recreation: very good

North Gwinnett High School cluster (Suwanee area):
- Diversity: good
- Family-friendliness: excellent
- School academic performance: excellent
- Housing affordability**: okay
- Proximity to parks and recreation: excellent

Chattahoochee High School zone (Johns Creek area):
- Diversity: good
- Family-friendliness: excellent
- School academic performance: excellent
- School extracurriculars: very good
- School district-wide funding and leadership: good
- Housing affordability**: poor
- Proximity to parks and recreation: very good

* This analysis is overly simple, and partly opinion-based. One could make arguments to move certain items up one level or down one level.
** Your rental budget of $5k/month is excellent, and that can afford you a nice, large house almost anywhere. For that reason, housing affordability is relative for the purpose of this analysis. I've also taken into account prices in these places for when you buy a house down the road.

Old 03-05-2024, 07:44 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calimama84 View Post
Hello,

Thank you!
Welcome to Atlanta. I personally like Druid Hills. It is in a very Jewish-heavy-safe community with great restaurants.

Old 03-06-2024, 08:32 AM

197 posts, read 204,186 times
How flexible are you on that hour to Conyers? Conyers isn't exactly in the most convenient location to much

Old 03-06-2024, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Welcome to Atlanta. I personally like Druid Hills. It is in a very Jewish-heavy-safe community with great restaurants.
THIS! For $5,000 a month, I'd go for Druid Hills.

Also consider North Druid Hills/North Decatur/City of Decatur (30329,30324,30033,30345,30030) as an extension of the area

Gwinnett is a more affordable housing option for Emory University/Emory University Healthcare (located in Druid Hills) employees (esp. with kids) as your stereotypically "family friendly" suburb. Gwinnett is EXTREMELY diverse and their school system is an academic powerhouse.

Last edited by lethalhipster9; 03-06-2024 at 08:44 AM..

Old 03-06-2024, 08:48 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
This is total nonsense. California is one of the main origins of transplants into Georgia. Even in the reddest parts of the metro (which isn't where OP is even looking), nobody will care about them being from California.
I've actually felt less welcome in California as a Georgia boy, and I'm not a true Southern type which is why I'm seen as a transplant here in GA.

Old 03-06-2024, 08:58 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Okay, so people tell you, all the time, that people from California are not welcome here. Just a random opinion that normal people would totally volunteer to a rando.

I don't think that they're lying. I think that you're lying.
I'll second that. Bloody ridiculous. Just ask my Oakland-born husband, who lived in Atlanta from 1991 to 2018.

Old 03-06-2024, 11:18 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamvmax1 View Post
Just keep in mind, people from California are not very welcome down here. Reason? The politics. It's a different world down here for a reason. Let's keep it that way. I moved from NY and left the politics behind.
I strongly disagree. If you don’t shove your politics and beliefs down someone’s throat you will be fine. That goes for any place.
I’m from California. I love it here in Marietta. I have 10x as many friends in Georgia than I did in California, no exaggeration. People overall are more approachable and friendlier here.

Old 03-06-2024, 12:41 PM

Considering that Calimama84 is Black (a fellow member of a group that votes about 90% Dem everywhere), the political bickering between California and Georgia is a moot point.

Old 03-06-2024, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
Considering Gwinnett/Fulton/Dekalb are now solidly Blue and Cobb becoming that way, why would the locals tell you that?
Cobb feels further right than it actually is margin-wise because their county GOP chapter is so vocal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta