Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2023, 09:29 AM

166 posts, read 171,278 times

Advertisements

Hey all!

Many of you have been helping me with incredible kindness and patience as we plan our family's relocation journey from NY to ATL (all shenanigans in the other NY to ATL thread i got going), but I thought it would be beneficial to have an altogether separate one on Fayette County.

Some background: when we realized we were relocating, we also realized we had absolutely NO IDEA what we were doing, where we should look, or start, or research, or really... anything. We snagged an awesome realtor and then headed straight to this forum.

Like many/ most of the posters here and families who are relocating, I started by looking in the northern suburbs. We tried to rationalize costs, congestion, values for money, and good school districts and amenities for our kids.

Through this forum a few people had gently recommended I look in Fayette County. And after exhaustively researching the northern suburbs, I did. And I was incredibly impressed, and very, very happy with what we found.

We are T minus 1 week to our official visit down to ATL, and while we will be sure to visit some of our preferred areas in the north (Hamilton Mill, Chateau Elan- Mill Creek HS cluster) we will largely focus our time in the southern suburbs.

In Fayette, we like the South Fayette area, with particular interest in homes in the Whitewater HS and Starrs Mill HS clusters. And between the home sizes, acreage, and schools, we feel good about it.

So with that being said, I figured I'd start an "Everything I need to know about Fayette County" thread for transplants like me.
What are things unique to the area (particularly south Fayette area)?
What are things that are unusual?
Drawbacks?
Vibes?
Shopping?
Traffic?
Schools (Peeples Elem, Whitewater MS/HS)?
Local insights, knowledge, insider info?
Things you wish you knew before?
Regrets?

THANKS !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2023, 11:59 AM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Love Fayette County…

Old 12-03-2023, 05:00 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazaza View Post
What are things unique to the area (particularly south Fayette area)?
One thing that is unique to the South Fayette County area is the historic Starr’s Mill Waterfall site that Starr’s Mill High School is named after.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/St...er=0&entry=ttu

Quote:
What are things that are unusual?
Drawbacks?
There’s nothing really unusual about the area.

And there’s no real drawbacks to the area. Though, people who prefer to be closer to the scenic and outdoor recreational amenities of the Southern Appalachian foothills and Blue Ridge Mountains may prefer to live on the side of metro Atlanta that is closer to the foothills and mountains in the Northern suburbs.

Also, while the area features a growing amount of diversity (especially compared to how much less diverse the area was a decade-plus ago ), the area doesn’t feature the increasingly extreme diversity of Northside suburban areas like North Fulton, South Forsyth and Gwinnett counties.

Quote:
Vibes?
A far-outer suburban/exurban area that generally is decidedly conservative in character but appears to be trending more moderate with all of the out-of-state transplants that are moving into the area.

Quote:
Shopping?
Nearest shopping/retail is located along GA-54 and GA-34 from the GA-74 junction in and just west of Peachtree City and into eastern Coweta County.

More shopping/retail options are located on the north side of Fayetteville at the large Fayette Pavilion shopping center that sits on Pavilion Parkway between GA-85 and GA-314.

And there is a large upscale shopping center at Ashley Park at the southwest corner of I-85 and GA-34 in Newnan.

Quote:
Traffic?
Traffic is growing as the area continues to grow but traffic congestion in the area is still nowhere near on the scale of much of the part of metro Atlanta that is located north of I-20.

Old 12-03-2023, 06:23 PM

Somebody said to me the area "feels more Georgia" than other counties surrounding Atlanta today. I'm assuming that means more "southern" in culture, vibes, life?

Old 12-03-2023, 06:47 PM

Also where's the nearest outlet mall? I'm looking forward to (lower taxed) shopping!

Old 12-03-2023, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Somebody said to me the area "feels more Georgia" than other counties surrounding Atlanta today. I'm assuming that means more "southern" in culture, vibes, life?
Yeah, that’s a good and true assessment that Fayette County generally “feels more Georgia” (more Piedmont Deep South) than other metro Atlanta counties with far heavier transplant and immigrant populations.

But with the continued fast growth of the area and with the introduction of the television and film production industry into the county with the opening of Pinewood Atlanta Studios (now Trilith Studios) in 2013, historically ultraconservative exurban/rural Fayette County definitely is trending more suburban and metropolitan in character.

Though, the southern end of Fayette County remains noticeably exurban and semi-rural when compared to the more developed northern half of the county.

Old 12-03-2023, 09:18 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Fayette County
https://www.city-data.com/forum/66142896-post130.html

Old 12-03-2023, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Also where's the nearest outlet mall? I'm looking forward to (lower taxed) shopping!
The nearest outlet mall is located nearly 30 miles east of the Starr’s Mill area at Tanger Outlets Locust Grove at I-75 and Bill Gardner Parkway in Locust Grove in Henry County.

There are also multiple outlet malls located in the Appalachian foothills north of Atlanta, including:

> Outlet Shoppes at Atlanta, located about 65 miles north of the Starr’s Mill area along I-575 at Ridgewalk Parkway in Woodstock in Cherokee County in the North Georgia Appalachian foothills…

> North Georgia Premium Outlets mall, located about 88 miles north of the Starr’s Mill area just over the Dawson-Forsyth county line along GA-400 in Dawsonville in South Dawson County in the North Georgia Appalachian foothills…

> Calhoun Outlet Marketplace, located about 98 miles north of the Starr’s Mill area along I-75 off the GA-53 exit in Calhoun in Gordon County in Northwest Georgia…

> Tanger Outlets Commerce, which is located about 107 miles northeast of the Starr’s Mill area along I-85 at US-441 in Commerce in Jackson County in exurban Northeast Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta