Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2023, 09:34 AM

3 posts, read 2,130 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Atlanta and I want details on good school in Alpharetta and Cumming Area and nearby areas , My office will be in Alpharetta area. Currently my kid is in Kinder in one of the Gifted and talented school in Texas. I want information on similar good schools in these Areas.

I found below schools from US news ranking ,
1. Please share experience with below schools or other good schools in these area and also Please suggest some apartments' , which will come in these school zone.

2. Also Please suggest how is the gifted program in these schools ..

Forsyth County Public Schools

Dave's Creek Elementary School
Big Creek Elementary School
Sharon Elementary School
Johns Creek Elementary

Fulton County Schools

State Bridge Crossing Elementary School
Creek View Elementary School
Lake Windward Elementary School

3. Also I can see Forsyth schools are ranked higher than Fulton county schools . Please share experience.

Thanks in advance ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2023, 09:40 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
I will let others in that city comment with more specifics.

What I can tell you is that both cities have great schools, and thus the average person would be splitting hairs deciding amongst them.

In other words, the differences would be so small that I would decide where to live amongst the two based on other factors like commute, amenities, housing stock, etc

Old 10-16-2023, 09:49 AM

3 posts, read 2,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
I will let others in that city comment with more specifics.

What I can tell you is that both cities have great schools, and thus the average person would be splitting hairs deciding amongst them.

In other words, the differences would be so small that I would decide where to live amongst the two based on other factors like commute, amenities, housing stock, etc
thanks , Which are the good websites to find out the ranking , i can see US news , Niche , Great School , School digger have different rankings ,

Also What are the important parameters we should consider for ranking .. I am checking Math Proficiency
, Reading Proficiency % as one of the important criteria , what else we should check ..

Old 10-16-2023, 03:51 PM

25,690 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Look at which Middle School, then High School, each of these elementary schools feeds into, & check those ranking too.

Property taxes are much less in Forsyth County than they are in Fulton County, so if it were me, I'd be leaning towards Forsyth County.

Our Son played ball in Forsyth County for several years, and his teammates went to a few of these Forsyth County Schools, & some Mom's were Teachers. Also, based upon the areas they are in, which are all very good to excellent, I'd rank:

1) Dave's Creek
2) Big Creek
3) Sharon
4) Johns Creek

I personally prefer Lambert High School unless you want STEM, then Central Forsyth I think is your only choice. I think you can attend Central Forsyth but not live in its footprint if you qualify for their STEM program. Transportation is on you in those cases.

I agree with the prior poster who said there's not a huge range in rankings between any of the Forsyth schools you listed.

If there is a better County in the ATL for public schools than Forsyth, I'd be shocked. Their Parks & Rec is top notch too.

I can't help w/ N Fulton County other than the much higher property taxes you'll pay.

Old 10-16-2023, 08:25 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit78 View Post
I will be moving to Atlanta and I want details on good school in Alpharetta and Cumming Area and nearby areas , My office will be in Alpharetta area. Currently my kid is in Kinder in one of the Gifted and talented school in Texas. I want information on similar good schools in these Areas.

I found below schools from US news ranking ,
1. Please share experience with below schools or other good schools in these area and also Please suggest some apartments' , which will come in these school zone.

2. Also Please suggest how is the gifted program in these schools ..

Forsyth County Public Schools

Dave's Creek Elementary School
Big Creek Elementary School
Sharon Elementary School
Johns Creek Elementary

Fulton County Schools

State Bridge Crossing Elementary School
Creek View Elementary School
Lake Windward Elementary School

3. Also I can see Forsyth schools are ranked higher than Fulton county schools . Please share experience.

Thanks in advance ...
All of the elementary schools that you listed (and the middle and high schools that they feed into) are extremely highly rated schools academically. One really cannot go wrong with any of the schools that you listed.

Children who perform well academically in the Forsyth County Schools system and in the North Fulton County portion of the Fulton County Schools system often may receive opportunities to attend some of the most prestigious and most high-profile colleges and universities in the country as that swath of the North Atlanta suburbs has become a prime academic recruiting ground for many big-name SEC (Southeastern Conference) and ACC (Atlantic Coast Conference) universities.

Your problem generally will not at all be with school quality. Your problem will be that there are very few (if any) apartment dwellings that exist within the attendance zones for the elementary schools that you listed in Forsyth County.

The only elementary school zones where you may be likely to find some apartment dwellings in Forsyth County are in the attendance zones for Brandywine, Whitlow and Cumming elementary schools and maybe in the attendance zones for Settles Bridge and Haw Creek elementary schools.

You generally potentially may have at least few more apartment dwelling options on the Fulton County side of the North Fulton County/South Forsyth County area.

The Lake Windward Elementary School attendance zone appears to have only one apartment dwelling option at Woodhaven at Park Bridge Apartment Homes complex.

The Creek View Elementary School attendance zone appears to have only one apartment dwelling option at the Wood Bridge Apartment Homes complex.

The State Bridge Crossing Elementary School appears to have no apartment dwelling options located within its attendance zone.

Old 10-17-2023, 04:47 PM

37 posts, read 42,027 times
Elementary is too early to worry about school rankings or minute differences between schools in any decent school district.

High schools in Forsyth county, North Fulton and East cobb are all very good and comparable to each other academically.
Some are ranked slightly better than others because of factors that have nothing to do with acadmic rigor or quality offered ..
trust me depending on the kid, they will perform same in any of those schools.

For example , Math proficiency % stat published for one school vs another in forsyth school district is irrelevant to how your kid will perform in math. The advanced courses offered, resources available are exactly same and there is no guarantee 9th grade math teacher at lambert high school is better than 9thgrade math teacher at denmark. Heck my kid's math teacher in denmark high school is much better than math teacher of my neighbor's kid .. it is just luck who you get.
My daughter went to forsyth central and her favorite teacher(AP Chem) just transferred to Lambert

Old 10-18-2023, 08:52 AM

337 posts, read 298,325 times
We just moved to the area from out of state as well. We used School Digger.
We preferred Lambert, South Forsyth/Denmark HS, Alpharetta HS, Johns Creek, and North View HS clusters.
We would have loved to live in Alpharetta but were unable to find a home we liked.
We ended up buying a home in Cumming. Our kids attend Lakeside Middle School and South Forsyth High School.
It has only been a few months but we like schools my kids are attending. We are coming from top-ranked schools in MN.
If your job is in Alpharetta you will be better off finding a place in Alpharetta/Johns Creek. Both have excellent schools. If you need to expand your search you can include Cumming as well. Schools in South Cumming are highly ranked and are more diverse. Cumming also has excellent parks.

Old 10-19-2023, 07:53 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,210,677 times
You will have ample challenging academics at any of those schools. If you want a bigger Indian population, stick to Forsyth county.

I would focus on the house you like that is not too far from work.

Old 10-19-2023, 08:56 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
You will have ample challenging academics at any of those schools. If you want a bigger Indian population, stick to Forsyth county.

I would focus on the house you like that is not too far from work.
The OP requested the names of apartment communities in that area, which seems to give their search a different dimension than if they were looking for a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta