Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2023, 10:01 AM

17 posts, read 13,753 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Thinking of making an offer on a house in Alpharetta that was built in 1989. We have never lives in such an old home so not sure what to expect and how it will be in 10-15-20 years from now. Any thoughts on buying a 30+ years old house vs buying one that’s, say, 10-15 years old? Thanks.

Old 09-30-2023, 03:49 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vv19 View Post
Hi everyone. Thinking of making an offer on a house in Alpharetta that was built in 1989. We have never lives in such an old home so not sure what to expect and how it will be in 10-15-20 years from now. Any thoughts on buying a 30+ years old house vs buying one that’s, say, 10-15 years old? Thanks.
The only advice that I can offer is to make sure the home is thoroughly inspected before buying and that you probably should be prepared to spend an additional amount to update the home to the standard that you may desire.

But since the home is in Alpharetta, it will be coming with lots of top notch amenities like some of the highest rated public schools in the Southeast and lots of top notch upscale suburban shopping, restaurants and community events in an area that has emerged as a massive regional hub of employment and economic activity over the past decade.

Old 10-02-2023, 07:35 AM

271 posts, read 302,561 times
Agreed with Born 2 Roll's comments. Alpharetta is a great location. Most likely the schools will really good to excellent, with high schools such as Alpharetta High serving the area. The biggest benefit of living in Alpharetta is the proximity to amenities such as Avalon, DT Alpharetta, the new upcoming JC Town Center (Medley?), Peachtree Corners etc. Plus access to GA 400.

In response to an older home, I'd watch out for 3 really important "big ticket" items on older homes.

1) Roof
2) Windows
3) HVAC system

If there is a new/newer roof, new windows and HVAC-- you could easily save about $50k. Those 3 items each can cost upwards of $20k/each. based on size of the home.

As always, check for mold/mildew and foundation.

Good luck!

Old 10-02-2023, 01:10 PM

22 posts, read 19,530 times
at least with a home this new you don't have to worry about things like Lead Paint, or Asbestos.

Old 10-02-2023, 07:14 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,627 times
My house was built in 1985, I bought it in 1994 and have now lived in it for 29 years. My sister has lived in her 1990 Johns Creek home for 29 years as well. So here are some of my thoughts.

1) Pay attention to the health of any trees on the property - some just reach their life span especially Bradford Pears. I have a huge Pine Tree (not too close to the house) that has been giving me some concern. If the arborist tells me it needs to come down it will be expensive plus my full shade yard will become full sun which will throw me for a loop.
2) Windows - almost everyone I know with 30 year home has replaced their windows
3) Electrical Panel - I upgraded mine which most people never do. Most 30 year old homes were not built with the idea of all the electric devices. While you are at it - add a whole house surge protector.
4) Definitely ask the age of the AC, Water Heater, Appliances etc. Just make sure they are all not near their end of life.

On the positive side - for all the things I have upgraded and repaired over the years, I have put in far better quality than any builder.

Old 10-03-2023, 09:04 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,444 times
I just moved into a rental that was built in 1988. My notes so far
1. High voltage electrical.
- This house doesn't have any GFCI outlets and the breakers aren't labeled properly.
- Previous tenants/owners have done some DIY work and some switches are in strange spots
- some of the outlets are loose (little or no tension) and regular plugs will just fall out of them

2. Low voltage electrical
- There are 2 or 3 coax lines running into the house. The only active one was drilled through the door jamb with no grommet
- The house is wired for land line phone which will probably never ever get used ever again. If it were my house then I'd run Cat6 cable
3. Doors and fenestration
- One of the external doors doesn't seal properly. Enough so that I can hear outdoor sounds through it pretty easily.
With luck simple weatherstripping might fix this.
- Many of the windows do not lock or move properly. Some have springs that are broken and will not hold the window in place when opened
- Many of the double paned windows have seals that have failed with age. White streaks
4. Floors
- Squeaks and creak The floors are so creaky in a few spots that even the cat makes some of them squeak. In some parts of the house the floors are so uneven (i.e. not flat) that the only option for flooring is carpet or vinyl
5. Plumbing
- Our rental has copper piping which is good.
- I suspect that the water pressure regulator is malfunctioning at times, which is bad.

Old 10-03-2023, 08:40 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
I don't think we've ever lived in a house built later than the 1940s. A well built house can easily last for many generations.

Of course you do have to do maintenance and update the systems every now and then.

Old 10-04-2023, 03:12 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,849,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I don't think we've ever lived in a house built later than the 1940s. A well built house can easily last for many generations.

Of course you do have to do maintenance and update the systems every now and then.
I was thinking something similar. The three Atlanta homes that I have lived in during my adult life were built in 1976, 1925, and 1907, respectively.

I have always been a bit wary of homes built in the 70’s, 80’s, & 90’s. But if it is well maintained/updated and in a nice area, I imagine any home would be fine as long as it suits the tastes of the people who live there.

Nevertheless, this thread led me to thinking, I wonder how old are the oldest homes in Alpharetta…

Old 10-04-2023, 07:40 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
I was thinking something similar. The three Atlanta homes that I have lived in during my adult life were built in 1976, 1925, and 1907, respectively.

I have always been a bit wary of homes built in the 70’s, 80’s, & 90’s. But if it is well maintained/updated and in a nice area, I imagine any home would be fine as long as it suits the tastes of the people who live there.

Nevertheless, this thread led me to thinking, I wonder how old are the oldest homes in Alpharetta…
Yep. Even with a new house you're still going to have to do maintenance and systems updates from time to time.

Old 10-04-2023, 11:22 AM
bu2

24,097 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thtguyuknw View Post
at least with a home this new you don't have to worry about things like Lead Paint, or Asbestos.
Yeah, its hard to think of 1989 as "older." Never lived in a place built since 1983! Currently living in one built in the 20s.

Roof, A/C, look for possible leaks in ceiling. If your budget is tight consider a homeowner's warranty, but be aware they are real difficult to work with. They don't make their money by quickly responding and fully satisfying you. You don't have to worry about lead paint, asbestos, cheap PVC pipes (think that was a 70s problem, out of current code electrical wiring, etc.

In any house in Atlanta, you need to check for Radon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta