Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2023, 08:46 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,056,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
As we discussed in the other thread, Atlanta United flipped the script on expansion teams. It's not so much about the tangible attributes of the fanbase as it is about the ability to generate a brand and fan experience that attracts people to the games.

In the early 2010s, the narrative was that Atlanta is an innately bad sports city, and our one storied franchise (the Braves) was middling in fan support; the rest were on the lower end.

The new Braves stadium propelled the team into the top-tier of fan support, and Atlanta United (which many people doubted could ever catch on--"Atlanta's just not a soccer city") is evergreen top-end of the league in fan support, even seasons when we're mediocre on the field.

NHL can survive. But it needs the right ownership and strategy.
Dead on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2023, 10:00 AM

16,690 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
1. People keep forgetting that the thrashers not staying was due to internal business squabbles, not because of support of the team.

2. I think the NHL venue for Atlanta should be located at perimeter center.
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Dude, put it downtown. The State Farm arena. Make Downtown Great Again.

I wish Atlanta would turn the CNN Center into the regional train passenger terminal, and build the whole gulch up with skyscrapers, and the Falcons/United/Hawks/NHL team all connected to that and MARTA. And extend the MARTA green line to the Battery in Cumberland so that the Braves are connected as well.

And all that connected with the airport. I mean, Atlanta, get the infrastructure, and embrace and love your downtown! Forsyth County is a boring pile of suck. And it's way out of the way for a lot of people.
I agree with you. Downtown would be the best choice.

I am suggesting Perimeter Center as well because it is the best "compromise" option considering other forces at play. Alpharetta, South Forsyth, or Duluth/Gwinnett Place all would not be good options.

If not Downtown, I think the Lindbergh Center Area in South Buckhead or Atlantic Station in Midtown would be good choices.

So, for an NHL venue in Atlanta, the best options - in rank order:

1. Downtown
2. Atlantic Station or Lindbergh Center
3. Perimeter Center

Old 09-14-2023, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
As we discussed in the other thread, Atlanta United flipped the script on expansion teams. It's not so much about the tangible attributes of the fanbase as it is about the ability to generate a brand and fan experience that attracts people to the games.

In the early 2010s, the narrative was that Atlanta is an innately bad sports city, and our one storied franchise (the Braves) was middling in fan support; the rest were on the lower end.

The new Braves stadium propelled the team into the top-tier of fan support, and Atlanta United (which many people doubted could ever catch on--"Atlanta's just not a soccer city") is evergreen top-end of the league in fan support, even seasons when we're mediocre on the field.

NHL can survive. But it needs the right ownership and strategy.
Yes, spot on. Great, smart post.

Old 09-14-2023, 10:14 AM

For Fun:

What would be a good name for the NHL Franchise in Atlanta?
Personally, I like Thrashers - or another bird name.

Old 09-14-2023, 11:33 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
For Fun:

What would be a good name for the NHL Franchise in Atlanta?
Personally, I like Thrashers - or another bird name.
How about Andre's Armada? Or Dickens' Diablos?

Old 09-14-2023, 12:28 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,256,042 times
Quote:
I agree with you. Downtown would be the best choice.

I am suggesting Perimeter Center as well because it is the best "compromise" option considering other forces at play. Alpharetta, South Forsyth, or Duluth/Gwinnett Place all would not be good options.

If not Downtown, I think the Lindbergh Center Area in South Buckhead or Atlantic Station in Midtown would be good choices.

So, for an NHL venue in Atlanta, the best options - in rank order:

1. Downtown
2. Atlantic Station or Lindbergh Center
3. Perimeter Center
Besides the central location and transit access, I would think the huge advantage to Downtown would be the fact that the arena already exists? And it already even hosted an NHL team, not that long ago? You don't have to build anything or cost the taxpayers.

Old 09-14-2023, 12:29 PM

9,975 posts, read 5,672,289 times
"We've already lost two NHL franchises, let's see if we can lose a third!"

Old 09-14-2023, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Besides the central location and transit access, I would think the huge advantage to Downtown would be the fact that the arena already exists? And it already even hosted an NHL team, not that long ago? You don't have to build anything or cost the taxpayers.
Yep. Tru dat.

Old 09-14-2023, 06:18 PM

446 posts, read 249,730 times
Quote:
1. People keep forgetting that the thrashers not staying was due to internal business squabbles, not because of support of the team.
How did Atlanta lose the Flames before that?

Old 09-14-2023, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothwynman View Post
How did Atlanta lose the Flames before that?
When they moved, I was a young post-toddler padawan that I had just moved to East Cobb in the months prior, along with recovering from an operation in the few months after our move—so I’m not exactly sure.

But you can always read here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlant...es?wprov=sfti1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta