Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2023, 01:20 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,179 times

Advertisements

So we'll be driving down to Florida here in a couple of weeks (from Indianapolis) and as a halfway point I'm looking at booking a hotel right outside of Atlanta. Since we'll be coming down I-75 I was considering hotels on the north side (around Marietta) but also hotels on the southside (near McDonough). This would be a Thursday night stay where we get up early Friday morning and head out (probably by 7:30am). I was favoring staying on the north side because we'll be getting in fairly late at night Thursday (due to when we have to leave Indy) and it would be nice to not have to drive through one more city before we stop but then it occurred to me that rush hour might delay us somewhat in the morning (driving through ATL) if I stop on the north side.
Should I factor this in or will it probably be a non-issue? Every time we've driven through Atlanta during the morning it's been on a Sunday. I'm wondering if Friday rush hour traffic is enough a reason to avoid staying on the north side for the night if we want to get an early start without hitting much traffic. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2023, 01:43 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,855,678 times
There is ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS a logjam on I-75 south starting at about Stockbridge and lasting through Locust Grove. Sometimes it only takes 15 minutes to get through that area and sometimes upwards of an hour. And often for no apparent reason (no wrecks, etc...). If you can make it Thursday night to Locust Grove (just a couple of exits south of McDonough), you'll miss all of that Friday morning. Trust me on this.

Old 08-25-2023, 02:57 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
There is ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS a logjam on I-75 south starting at about Stockbridge and lasting through Locust Grove. Sometimes it only takes 15 minutes to get through that area and sometimes upwards of an hour. And often for no apparent reason (no wrecks, etc...). If you can make it Thursday night to Locust Grove (just a couple of exits south of McDonough), you'll miss all of that Friday morning. Trust me on this.
Thanks, good to know!

Old 08-25-2023, 05:05 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
Friday morning rush hour usually isn't as bad, but certain spots are generally getting slow by 7:30 (some well before then).
And yea, there's always something wrong with 75 south of town.

I know the pain of driving through one last city on a road trip but it's worth it. If you're coming through after 8PM Thursday, it shouldn't be too bad getting through and it'll be worth it Friday morning.

Old 08-25-2023, 07:01 PM

16,680 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Yes, definitely keep driving and get a hotel in the South Metro along I-75: In McDonough, Locust Grove, or Hampton.

Plus, you will get a night-time skyline view of Cumberland, Midtown, and Downtown.

Old 08-25-2023, 09:48 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
It’s much later than the Midwest, but I’d say 7am?

Old 08-25-2023, 10:40 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,068 times
When I drive Uber and Lyft before my regular job. I try to be off the roads before 6 a.m. That's when I notice the traffic build-up. Also depends on what part of the city you are in, and the ability to take back roads.

Old 08-26-2023, 04:53 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,254,714 times
You have received great advice. I think most Georgians plan their travels around hitting Atlanta at a certain time. Lol.

I agree that getting through to the south side would be ideal, but one hangup on your 7 hour drive and before you know it, it's midnight and you are exhausted.

Something else to consider is that getting a room on a random Thursday night should not be difficult. I would wait until I got to Chattanooga to make the decision and then book a room north of Atlanta or south depending on how the drive is going. I say this as someone who nearly killed myself ( almost asleep) trying to make it to a prebooked room after getting stuck on a closed interstate for 2 hours. Now I wait to book rooms until mid-afternoon. It isn't worth saving $20 to be locked into a "I HAVE TO go another hundred miles" scenario.

If north of the city is your decision, I would try to leave by 630am.(It's picking up, but better than 730). If you have a Florida toll pass, those work on the Express Lanes coming into Atlanta and would help as well). Hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip!

Last edited by midgeorgiaman; 08-26-2023 at 05:06 AM..

Old 08-26-2023, 10:50 AM

1,063 posts, read 905,556 times
"Should I factor this in or will it probably be a non-issue?"
yes. factor that it.
"I'm wondering if Friday rush hour traffic is enough a reason to avoid staying on the north side for the night..."
no. North side is fine IF.....
"we want to get an early start without hitting much traffic. Thoughts?"
be on the Interstate before 5:30 AM on Friday for the best chance.

i used to drive in/around/and through Atlanta for five years.
(masks and Skype/Zoom changed all that)
6AM to 6PM on Friday is the worst, with Sunday night in second place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta