Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you live?
The City of Atlanta Proper 9 22.50%
Atlanta Suburb (but ITP) 7 17.50%
OTP North 15 37.50%
OTP South 3 7.50%
OTP East 1 2.50%
OTP West 1 2.50%
I do not live in Metro Atlanta 0 0%
I do not live in the State of Georgia 4 10.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2023, 04:00 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,850,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleZ OTP View Post

At the risk of steering this thread off-topic: in my observation, this phenomenon has less to do with a specific direction, and more to do with two things: water, and elevation.

In nearly all American cities, the rich neighborhoods are typically upstream and/or uphill of those cities' historic Downtowns, while the poor neighborhoods are typically downstream and/or downhill of historic Downtowns. There are exceptions to this, of course. It just so happens that, in American cities, many streams and rivers flow southward, resulting in a seemingly coincidental pattern of more affluent northsides in many American cities.

This is, I think, a legacy of a bygone era when industrial runoff and human waste was more likely to readily make its way downhill and into sources of drinking water.

Take Atlanta. Our primary waterway is the Chattahoochee River (and its tributaries like Peachtree Creek). Notice that Buckhead developed upriver of Atlanta's Chattahoochee Water Treatment Plant (at the point on the river closest to Downtown Atlanta). Druid Hills -- another "old money" Atlanta neighborhood -- developed on a high-elevation ridge outside of Downtown Atlanta, near the headwaters of Peachtree Creek and near a couple of natural springs.

In Birmingham, AL -- a city with a more affluent southside -- the southside sits at a much higher elevation than Birmingham's Downtown area. Same in Nashville, TN.
This is 100% true. During the days of segregation/Jim Crow, the areas that were designated for Black residents were in low-lying, flood-prone areas (i.e. Vine City, Summerhill, etc.), while the more affluent White areas had higher elevations — thus resulting in better sanitation, etc.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta