Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2023, 02:49 PM

5,948 posts, read 2,870,440 times

Advertisements

A dollar ten { $ 1.10 } 168 grain 308 .would work EVERY time .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2023, 03:22 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Now your twisting my comments to cover the fact that you simply don’t know after saying there’s “bound” to be ways. Tell me again how I said it’s impossible. You won’t because I never used the word impossible.
Yet I ask you to tell me those ways that are as effective as razor and how much they cost.
I’m still waiting for you to tell me since you say you have experience in this, educate me.
The point is you are again telling others they have to pay out of their pockets for what you want and you don’t even know how much they will have to pay.
You statements get weaker and weaker.
Try rereading the thread.
You seem to be getting awfully wrapped around the axle about this, but let's do some back of the envelope figuring.

Say you've got a 200 apartment complex renting for $1,000 per unit. That's $200,000 per month in gross rent.

Say you put in the following one-time improvements: Gates at entry and exit ($50,000), security cameras ($10,000) and license plate readers ($15,000). That's a total of $75,000, which you amortize over 36 months at a cost of $2K a month.

Add another $5K a month for security patrols.

That knocks your net revenue down to $193,000 per month. You've allocated only 3.5% of gross receipts to security. In my opinion that's not bad at all.

What are your numbers?

Old 07-30-2023, 04:35 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to arjay57 again.

Old 07-31-2023, 09:04 AM

654 posts, read 526,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
You seem to be getting awfully wrapped around the axle about this, but let's do some back of the envelope figuring.

Say you've got a 200 apartment complex renting for $1,000 per unit. That's $200,000 per month in gross rent.

Say you put in the following one-time improvements: Gates at entry and exit ($50,000), security cameras ($10,000) and license plate readers ($15,000). That's a total of $75,000, which you amortize over 36 months at a cost of $2K a month.

That knocks your net revenue down to $193,000 per month. You've allocated only 3.5% of gross receipts to security. In my opinion that's not bad at all.

What are your numbers?

Yes, yes, great idea. And for homeowners and smaller complexes we could combine our dollars and jointly fund our security. Maybe even hire people specially trained to do it. There might even a word for it - something like taxes and police? We should try that sometime.

This is an Atlanta governance problem, not a property owner problem.

Old 07-31-2023, 12:30 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

What are your numbers?
Why would I have numbers, you are confused and trying to shift the argument. My position was they already paid for the razor wire. You keep arguing they should change things at their cost saying a loose statement like there ought to be something they can do. I asked you what and the cost which you kept avoiding.
As far as getting wrapped up, it’s just because when people like you make off the cuff statements then don’t back it up it bothers me. All I asked was you to back it up Repeatedly and now you have made a loose summary of what you would do.
Here the thing, you are basing your numbers on assumptions. Your scenario seems reasonable to people who are unfamiliar with owning property. You make it sound like the property owner gets to keep 193k instead of 200k. Property owners must be really greedy if they can give with that.
You have no idea of the actual numbers of the costs and revenues.
You never factored in mortgage, taxes, insurance, repairs, cap expenses, management fees, vacancy factor, etc
What If expenses were already 180k a month leaving 20k net? Now the 3.5 % totaling 7k is leaving 13 k net. The owner really is taking about 33% hit, not a 3.5 percent hit.
Why would an Owner take a hit when they can keep status quo and not worry about making array happy who has no skin in the game?
I’m sure glad you aren’t my financial advisor.

You always like to post about helping the little guy making others pay to cover them. Not once have you ever advocated doing something for the little guy where it costs you money.

Old 07-31-2023, 12:32 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Oh and arjay , what about the little guy with a mom and pop business. How much are you going to make them spend?

Old 07-31-2023, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Why would I have numbers, you are confused and trying to shift the argument. My position was they already paid for the razor wire. You keep arguing they should change things at their cost saying a loose statement like there ought to be something they can do. I asked you what and the cost which you kept avoiding.
As far as getting wrapped up, it’s just because when people like you make off the cuff statements then don’t back it up it bothers me. All I asked was you to back it up Repeatedly and now you have made a loose summary of what you would do.
Here the thing, you are basing your numbers on assumptions. Your scenario seems reasonable to people who are unfamiliar with owning property. You make it sound like the property owner gets to keep 193k instead of 200k. Property owners must be really greedy if they can give with that.
You have no idea of the actual numbers of the costs and revenues.
You never factored in mortgage, taxes, insurance, repairs, cap expenses, management fees, vacancy factor, etc
What If expenses were already 180k a month leaving 20k net? Now the 3.5 % totaling 7k is leaving 13 k net. The owner really is taking about 33% hit, not a 3.5 percent hit.
Why would an Owner take a hit when they can keep status quo and not worry about making array happy who has no skin in the game?
I’m sure glad you aren’t my financial advisor.

You always like to post about helping the little guy making others pay to cover them. Not once have you ever advocated doing something for the little guy where it costs you money.
Okay, I see.

Old 07-31-2023, 03:43 PM

3,708 posts, read 5,982,315 times
This argument is ridiculous. "The little guy" in this case is some investment company squatting on an empty lot, trying to keep unhoused people out. Nobody has razor wire around their apartment complex.

Also, razor wire is banned for new construction. And the city will never demand existing razor wire is removed. It's like countless other things that are banned for new construction because they're a nuisance (lead paint, asbestos, neon lights, etc). They don't require removal of existing. This is all standard stuff, not worth an online argument.

Old 07-31-2023, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
This argument is ridiculous. "The little guy" in this case is some investment company squatting on an empty lot, trying to keep unhoused people out. Nobody has razor wire around their apartment complex.

Also, razor wire is banned for new construction. And the city will never demand existing razor wire is removed. It's like countless other things that are banned for new construction because they're a nuisance (lead paint, asbestos, neon lights, etc). They don't require removal of existing. This is all standard stuff, not worth an online argument.

Old 07-31-2023, 04:26 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Is this actual razor wire or just regular barbed wire? There's a big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta