Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2023, 01:12 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I wish people, especially Texas, would quit looking down their noses at the ATL.
Same here, arjay! It's beyond tired, and most people I know just roll their eyes at their over-the-top bragging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2023, 01:26 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,988,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
The haters are gonna be furious
I can’t wait to see how this goes over in the city-vs-city forum, especially with the Houstonians.

Old 07-15-2023, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Not surprising if you applied a critical eye to the food scene in Las Vegas: What’s good there isn’t organic, feels contrived, and only really caters to the rich since it can only be found in the ritzy hotels. From there it is a downward slide of buffets, the same chain’s restaurants you find everywhere else, ridiculous places that serve portions no single human should ever consider consuming, and is mostly blah. There is a relatively good Filipino scene there, but it doesn’t make up for all other nonsense. Once you peel back the layers of Las Vegas the only question you’ll ever have is “Why in gods name would anyone ever consider intentionally living in this place?”

Old 07-15-2023, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Eh, Michelin reviews usually focused more on very pricey restaurants that too many diners wouldn't care to eat at. And any restaurant that's considered more gastronomy and experimental, i.e. whatever restaurants in Atlanta(and I'm sure they exist) would be considered the equivalent to like Next, Alinea, and also Avec in Chicago.

I supoose this announcement means that Bib Gourmand(cheap eats) reviews will be done as well? I always wondered why certain areas like Atlanta and Denver were ignored by Michelin, for too long.

Now if they still ignore Las Vegas to this day, that is a surprise to me. I'd say their restaurant scene is well known enough, that Michelin should cover there IMO.

To be honest, I usually look up Yelp and Google reviews. That is if I was wondering about some restaurant or bar, I didn't know a lot about.
Nope. On a food centric page I follow on Facebook, one of the reviewers spilled some of the beans that the Michelin folks have been combing the entire metro for the best food and not necessarily the most expensive restaurants. Of course they can go in to detail, but they gave the sense what tipped things in Atlanta favor was our large amount small concept restraints you find in places like Midtown, Buckhead, the Westside, or dozens of other places in the city AND the culinary juggernaut that is BuHi.

All of my out of town guests always have the same things to say “Loved the city, can’t wait to come back. I loved the food at (whatever BuHi establishment we went to) and I can’t wait to come back to try the other places.

Old 07-15-2023, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Nope. On a food centric page I follow on Facebook, one of the reviewers spilled some of the beans that the Michelin folks have been combing the entire metro for the best food and not necessarily the most expensive restaurants. Of course they can go in to detail, but they gave the sense what tipped things in Atlanta favor was our large amount small concept restraints you find in places like Midtown, Buckhead, the Westside, or dozens of other places in the city AND the culinary juggernaut that is BuHi.

All of my out of town guests always have the same things to say “Loved the city, can’t wait to come back. I loved the food at (whatever BuHi establishment we went to) and I can’t wait to come back to try the other places.
I work remotely from San Diego, and my boss is a huge fan as well - she refers to Atlanta as 'the promised land!' I took her to my favorite neighborhood French joint, Bistro Anis on Grandview in Buckhead, for a lunch of mussels, swordfish & frites on their patio a few years ago, and she's still swooning over the place. The only thing she loves more about Atlanta are our trees, she is just amazed at the size of them and the 'lushness' here.

These - along with BuHi and other scenes - are the places that define our cuisine, not Atlas or the Palm.

Old 07-16-2023, 04:29 PM

702 posts, read 442,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I wish people, especially Texas, would quit looking down their noses at the ATL.
Who's looking their noses down at ATL?

Old 07-16-2023, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
Who's looking their noses down at ATL?
We have an ex-Houstonian that does so regularly, as well as someone from Dallas that has been obnoxious here for years...to name just a few.

Old 07-17-2023, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
We have an ex-Houstonian that does so regularly, as well as someone from Dallas that has been obnoxious here for years...to name just a few.
Walker definitely posts negative stuff about Atlanta but who is the ex-Houston that does. There's one Houston poster on here who's pretty positive about Atlanta and recently started a thread asking about suburbs because he's considering relocating back here.

Old 07-17-2023, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
Walker definitely posts negative stuff about Atlanta but who is the ex-Houston that does. There's one Houston poster on here who's pretty positive about Atlanta and recently started a thread asking about suburbs because he's considering relocating back here.
Oh, you should peruse the City-vs-City forum and on this topic in particular. Texans would have you believe Atlanta is far inferior to them, especially Houston. I'm not here to say we are leagues better (I honestly think it's a travesty that Houston continues to be overlooked) but there are ton of folks on that forum that are quite vigilant about this topic.

Old 07-17-2023, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Oh, you should peruse the City-vs-City forum and on this topic in particular. Texans would have you believe Atlanta is far inferior to them, especially Houston. I'm not here to say we are leagues better (I honestly think it's a travesty that Houston continues to be overlooked) but there are ton of folks on that forum that are quite vigilant about this topic.
I've lived in both, there are aspects that I like better about Texas cities particularly Dallas and sometimes Houston more than Atlanta, but there is a lot of aspects about metro Atlanta and the region that I like better than Texas cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta