Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2023, 11:21 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,991,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
If the City of Atlanta proper may feel significantly underpopulated for a large major municipality of its stature, it is probably could be because the City of Atlanta proper is significantly undersized when compared to other large major municipalities.
City size limits can indeed impact total population, but when it comes to density/feeling, then active smaller city areas tend to have the opposite affect. A city with a large land area, like Houston for example, may have city limits that extend far from the city center into areas that might be expected to be suburban or even rural. Smaller city limit/size usually correlates with higher density as fewer suburban/rural areas are included.

Last edited by 2Easy; 06-30-2023 at 11:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2023, 12:15 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,126,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Once again, Atlanta has the second most high rises under construction in the country after NYC. We are #5 in terms of new multifamily units permitted in 2023. We are adding more density and faster than almost any other city. I'm not sure what y'all want from us or are expecting.
We could do even better in the core.

Old 06-30-2023, 12:52 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,991,337 times
Quote:
Once again, Atlanta has the second most high rises under construction in the country after NYC. We are #5 in terms of new multifamily units permitted in 2023. We are adding more density and faster than almost any other city. I'm not sure what y'all want from us or are expecting.
Atlanta is doing great things. How many multi-family units were permitted in Atlanta city limits or at least inside the perimeter? I'm not able to find numbers aside from the metro level.

Old 06-30-2023, 01:23 PM

441 posts, read 230,854 times
Quote:

2nd most after NYC? Austin, Nashville, Miami, and Seattle seem to be building way more and taller than us. Austin, a metro of 2 million, has 2 supertalls under construction with another one proposed. The entire South Florida coast seems to be under construction, I went to Miami last year and defintely saw more cranes/construction down there than here.

Maybe they're counting the suburbs in that count. Could possibly make sense.

Old 06-30-2023, 01:41 PM

10 posts, read 9,026 times
I went to LA last year. Different areas felt like they own city. Long Beach felt like a completely separate city/metropolis. I liked some of the suburban areas around Orange, Co like Tustin and Irvine. They had some nice areas. The freeway system is nuts; you can get around LA using multiple combinations of freeways. It's definitely very dense inside the LA metro area. Have friends that live out there. One friend is in East LA, he kind of compares it East Atlanta.

Old 06-30-2023, 03:35 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,947,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
2nd most after NYC? Austin, Nashville, Miami, and Seattle seem to be building way more and taller than us. Austin, a metro of 2 million, has 2 supertalls under construction with another one proposed. The entire South Florida coast seems to be under construction, I went to Miami last year and defintely saw more cranes/construction down there than here.

Who cares what Austin and Nashville are doing? They are a fraction of the size of Atlanta, and are just now hitting the stature we reached decades ago when we built our talls. We have been focusing on incredible amounts of infill, and have thrown up an impressive amount of 20 to 30ish story buildings - particularly in Midtown. Miami is a unique animal, where offshore wealthy park their assets and are only there occasionally. With the exception of Brightline, I don't know a single soul that wishes to emulate anything about South Florida.

Old 06-30-2023, 08:34 PM
bu2

24,118 posts, read 14,909,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
City size limits can indeed impact total population, but when it comes to density/feeling, then active smaller city areas tend to have the opposite affect. A city with a large land area, like Houston for example, may have city limits that extend far from the city center into areas that might be expected to be suburban or even rural. Smaller city limit/size usually correlates with higher density as fewer suburban/rural areas are included.
And yet, looking at density on land in the city limits, Atlanta with only 136 sq. miles has a density of 3,685, barely higher than Houston's of 3,593 in its 641 sq. miles. Dallas, with 340 square miles of land has a higher density of 3,840.

Old 06-30-2023, 09:26 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,853,252 times
Quote:

Perhaps this may help some:
https://atlanta.urbanize.city/projects

Old 07-01-2023, 10:31 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,993,068 times
Quote:

Another ranking I can’t find right now was high rises 0-10 miles from the urban core delivered 2021-2025. Same result, Atlanta #2 behind NYC. Nearly all high rises/major multifamily in metro Atlanta are developed ITP or close to it (Cumberland, Perimeter).

Old 07-02-2023, 09:50 AM

3,466 posts, read 3,388,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
The areas I visited (LA Live, Downtown, Ktown, Century City) had fewer people out than I would typically see in Midtown, albeit more than downtown (unless you're by Georgia State on a busy school day or Centennial Park on a weekend). The places where I saw a lot of people were Santa Monica Pier, The Grove (which reminded me a bit of Avalon), and Rodeo Drive Beverly Hills. Although LA has the mountains and beaches, I was surprised it doesn't have a Piedmont Park type equivalent park in the city.
I haven't been to LA before, but really this city doesn't have at least one or 2 parks on the level of say like Central Park in NYC, Schenley Park in Pittsburgh, Eden Park in Cincinnati, Forest Park in Saint Louis, Golden Gate Park in San Francisco, etc? I thought Griffith Park in LA was supposed to have some nice portions(including hills and overlooks), but I'm not sure.

Less talked about in SF, but Bernal Heights Park had some amazing skyline views as well. To the point you even can see Oakland(across the bay), on a clear day. And back to Atlanta, I always did like Piedmont Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta