Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 07:45 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times

Advertisements

Sounds like the Buckhead cityhood movement is still alive.

The crime has a lot people up there fired up.

Quote:
Niko Karatassos is co-owner of Buckhead Life Restaurant Group whose venues include Atlanta Fish Market, Chops Lobster Bar, Kyma, and Pricci. He told the committee his restaurants serve 700,000 people a year, most of them Buckhead residents.

“I’m here to tell you something about Atlanta. It’s not united. It’s divided,” he said. “It’s divided on the opinion and approach of policy on crime and cops.

“I’ve personally spoken to hundreds of people on this issue, and I’ll tell you what, it’s not unanimous that they all want to have Buckhead as a city,” he said. “But I’ll tell you what is unanimous by all these Buckhead residents, they want the opportunity to vote on it.”

Full story....Buckhead residents vent about crime at cityhood hearing, urge lawmakers to let them vote to leave Atlanta
https://roughdraftatlanta.com/2023/0...leave-atlanta/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2023, 08:47 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times
Quote:
“I’ve personally spoken to hundreds of people on this issue, and I’ll tell you what, it’s not unanimous that they all want to have Buckhead as a city,” he said. “But I’ll tell you what is unanimous by all these Buckhead residents, they want the opportunity to vote on it.”
Niko is lying through his teeth.

Old 02-24-2023, 09:40 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,643,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
I believe him. I travel for work weekly and everywhere I go people ask about Buckhead leaving Atlanta. It comes up when I have clients in town for business. Even though these people don’t live here like we do, everyone seems to think it’s a good idea. Atlanta has been weak on crime, and people are absolutely sick of it, including me. The city needs to wake up or it will be another Chicago, New York, San Francisco, LA, etc.

Old 02-24-2023, 11:46 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
I believe him. I travel for work weekly and everywhere I go people ask about Buckhead leaving Atlanta. It comes up when I have clients in town for business. Even though these people don’t live here like we do, everyone seems to think it’s a good idea. Atlanta has been weak on crime, and people are absolutely sick of it, including me. The city needs to wake up or it will be another Chicago, New York, San Francisco, LA, etc.
While Atlanta has experienced significantly increased challenges with crime since the start of the pandemic, seemingly almost every large major U.S. metropolitan area of more than 1 million residents has also experienced significantly increased challenges with crime since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic in spring 2020.

Unfortunately, Atlanta definitely is far from being alone amongst large U.S. city/metros in experiencing substantial challenges with significantly increased incidences of crime over the past 3 years.

And while the idea of Buckhead becoming its own incorporated city through de-annexation from the City of Atlanta proper seems to have much support from deep conservatives nationally, and even appears to have the support of at least about 35 percent of Buckhead residents, the idea of Buckhead cityhood becoming a reality seems to encounter some serious challenges because of the very significant financial complications to the state of Georgia that most assuredly would result (particularly in the bond markets) if Buckhead was de-annexed from the City of Atlanta proper after being part of the CoA proper since 1952.

The very serious financial and economic complications that would result to both the State of Georgia and what remains of the City of Atlanta proper after Buckhead was de-annexed into its own municipality seem to be a major reason why the idea of Buckhead cityhood gets much pushback from the Buckhead, Atlanta and Georgia business communities and has so-far gotten little to virtually no visible support from legislative leaders in the Georgia Legislature.

Recently re-elected Georgia Governor Brian Kemp reportedly is extremely cool on the idea of Buckhead cityhood because the serious financial and economic complications that such an event could create for the CoA and the State of Georgia (not to mention the negative international publicity that a Buckhead cityhood campaign would generate) would be severe distractions to Kemp’s goals of making and keeping the state of Georgia as an international leader in the economic development game.

And many reports seem to have crime either currently declining in Buckhead and/or noticeably lower in Buckhead than in the rest of the City of Atlanta proper.

Though, it’s understandable why the idea of Buckhead cityhood would an attractive prospect for many Buckhead residents during a period of increased crime since the start of the pandemic, the serious financial and economic damage that Buckhead de-annexation from the City of Atlanta proper would create appears to in many ways make Buckhead cityhood a solution that would create even more challenges than it would fix.

Old 02-24-2023, 12:24 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
While Atlanta has experienced significantly increased challenges with crime since the start of the pandemic, seemingly almost every large major U.S. metropolitan area of more than 1 million residents has also experienced significantly increased challenges with crime since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic in spring 2020.

Unfortunately, Atlanta definitely is far from being alone amongst large U.S. city/metros in experiencing substantial challenges with significantly increased incidences of crime over the past 3 years.

And while the idea of Buckhead becoming its own incorporated city through de-annexation from the City of Atlanta proper seems to have much support from deep conservatives nationally, and even appears to have the support of at least about 35 percent of Buckhead residents, the idea of Buckhead cityhood becoming a reality seems to encounter some serious challenges because of the very significant financial complications to the state of Georgia that most assuredly would result (particularly in the bond markets) if Buckhead was de-annexed from the City of Atlanta proper after being part of the CoA proper since 1952.

The very serious financial and economic complications that would result to both the State of Georgia and what remains of the City of Atlanta proper after Buckhead was de-annexed into its own municipality seem to be a major reason why the idea of Buckhead cityhood gets much pushback from the Buckhead, Atlanta and Georgia business communities and has so-far gotten little to virtually no visible support from legislative leaders in the Georgia Legislature.

Recently re-elected Georgia Governor Brian Kemp reportedly is extremely cool on the idea of Buckhead cityhood because the serious financial and economic complications that such an event could create for the CoA and the State of Georgia (not to mention the negative international publicity that a Buckhead cityhood campaign would generate) would be severe distractions to Kemp’s goals of making and keeping the state of Georgia as an international leader in the economic development game.

And many reports seem to have crime either currently declining in Buckhead and/or noticeably lower in Buckhead than in the rest of the City of Atlanta proper.

Though, it’s understandable why the idea of Buckhead cityhood would an attractive prospect for many Buckhead residents during a period of increased crime since the start of the pandemic, the serious financial and economic damage that Buckhead de-annexation from the City of Atlanta proper would create appears to in many ways make Buckhead cityhood a solution that would create even more challenges than it would fix.
Great posts.

Old 02-24-2023, 12:56 PM

3,708 posts, read 5,982,315 times
Quote:
You can instantly tell that someone from out of town is a Fox News cultist if they are aware of and in favor of Buckhead annexation. Non brainwashed people across the country people simply do not know or care.

Just another dumb adversarial policy proposal from republicans. Their favorite type.

Old 02-24-2023, 12:58 PM

3,708 posts, read 5,982,315 times
Also, I would say that I guess I won’t be eating at any Buckhead Life Group restaurants anymore. But lol I can’t remember the last time I ate at one of those mediocre places.

Old 02-24-2023, 01:00 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
Quote:
The city needs to wake up or it will be another Chicago, New York, San Francisco, LA, etc.
Does this mean they will actually build some transit??

Old 02-24-2023, 01:01 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
Yeah, no city would want to be like New York, the literal jewel of the history of human civilization.

Old 02-24-2023, 02:31 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post

The perception of crime can be just as potent as the reality. High profile crimes where people get attacked or murdered at their homes or in public places create an impression that is hard to undo. Add to it things like frequent car break-ins, brazen robberies, water boys harassing motorists on the streets, and you get an atmosphere that people perceive as lawless and dangerous. You can cite statistics all day long, but that doesn't remove the impression of the high profile crimes.

Take away the crime and and we never would have seen this Buckhead secession movement. The perceived lack of safety produces a deep emotional response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta