Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2022, 08:51 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,827,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I think 3rd Street could potentially be an excellent pedestrian/cyclist-only bridge with a small park and plaza that connects with the Centennial Tower. Maybe a small parking spot area for food trucks.

I want to circle back to this. I did some google street views and noticed something intriguing:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7739...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7738...7i16384!8i8192

Is this literally an interstate underpass that is not being utilized?? Does anyone know the history behind this?

If Georgia Tech and Atlanta could work together on maybe widening it or improving visibility on this (for public safety particularly for young college girls) then I can see this being a huge success on improving connectivity between Midtown and West Midtown which is the point of this thread. Especially if Atlanta allowed it to be like a Krog Street Tunnel 2.0 with some graffiti and mural art that would be popular with the students, not sure about the Georgia Tech administration though.

No need to put a cap here if they can just reactivate this. It'll also relieve some of the pedestrian and cyclist traffic I see on 5th street I got stuck there trying to get on Williams for almost 5 minutes because the pedestrians kept coming.

Also another thing, I feel like Jackson Street Bridge could easily have something like 5th Street and would be a huge boon to Atlanta as the iconic photographic spot of Atlanta's Downtown skyline. Why hasn't that happened, any particular reason?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2022, 11:55 AM

711 posts, read 684,379 times
Quote:
I want to circle back to this. I did some google street views and noticed something intriguing:

Is this literally an interstate underpass that is not being utilized?? Does anyone know the history behind this?

If Georgia Tech and Atlanta could work together on maybe widening it or improving visibility on this (for public safety particularly for young college girls) then I can see this being a huge success on improving connectivity between Midtown and West Midtown which is the point of this thread. Especially if Atlanta allowed it to be like a Krog Street Tunnel 2.0 with some graffiti and mural art that would be popular with the students, not sure about the Georgia Tech administration though.

No need to put a cap here if they can just reactivate this. It'll also relieve some of the pedestrian and cyclist traffic I see on 5th street I got stuck there trying to get on Williams for almost 5 minutes because the pedestrians kept coming.

Also another thing, I feel like Jackson Street Bridge could easily have something like 5th Street and would be a huge boon to Atlanta as the iconic photographic spot of Atlanta's Downtown skyline. Why hasn't that happened, any particular reason?
The 3rd Street tunnel was closed a couple of decades ago because of safety concerns and was opened only on game days. I think in the past month or so, it has been cleaned up and is open full time, which was the intention once all the new residential construction next to the new Norfolk Southern HQ was finished. With the sale and inevitable development of The Varsity parking lots, this tunnel will get a lot more use and be safer to use. I don't think it achieves what they're trying to accomplish with the freeway cap, though, which would essentially be one of the city's largest parks.

As for the Jackson Street Bridge, there have been proposals out there for years since it's become a tourist attraction thanks to The Walking Dead, and a pedestrian friendly re-do is happening.

Old 10-22-2022, 01:13 PM

32,031 posts, read 36,823,708 times
Quote:

That is very cool, Prickly Pear!

I wonder if this underpass was a casualty of the Free the Freeways program back in the 1980s? The grade around there is pretty significant and they may have had to build it up.

Old 10-25-2022, 09:52 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,783,289 times
They closed the 3rd st tunnel the year after they finished re-doing the 5th street bridge, which was more visible and opened up the campus into areas that were Tech controlled properties, as far as staffing and security goes.

The 3rd st tunnel ends at residence halls and then is the pathway for students to get to the student center, library, and the Tech Green. There weren't many ways to walk through campus. They had designed the campus to be a bit insulated, so they closed the tunnel off to try to cut down on non-student traffic in the center of campus and keep it up near 5th street, where it easier to monitor on both sides and more visible.

What happened was there was a rash of Tech students being targeted about that time. I went to another university, but had graduated shortly before that and I remember seeing all the head lines about that time.

The North Avenue is a legitimate through-road. Not much GT can do to close that.

Old 10-27-2022, 09:00 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,127,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That is very cool, Prickly Pear!

I wonder if this underpass was a casualty of the Free the Freeways program back in the 1980s? The grade around there is pretty significant and they may have had to build it up.
Nope the 3rd Street Tunnel is still there, just closed except on Tech game days.

Old 11-17-2022, 11:59 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,853,774 times
Downtown's highway-capping park concept launches (useful) website - Urbanize Atlanta

Old 11-19-2022, 02:49 PM

4,436 posts, read 6,312,545 times
Dallas' deck parks become inspiration for Atlanta
https://flipboard.com/topic/atlanta/...88%2Faxios.com

Old 02-07-2023, 10:05 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,383,257 times
Midtown's highway-capping park project names heavy-hitter CEO

If leaders of Midtown’s highway-capping park initiative were sports franchise owners, and appointing a coveted CEO was landing a free agent, they may have just signed a game-changer.

In a move that Atlanta’s mayor and Chick-fil-A’s influential chairman are applauding, The MCP Foundation announced Monday that longtime Atlanta Regional Commission leader Doug Hooker has been appointed CEO of the Midtown Connector Park project ..."

https://atlanta.urbanize.city/post/m...eo-doug-hooker

Urbanize Atlanta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta