Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 07:16 PM

338 posts, read 300,883 times

Advertisements

Even when economy slows down it takes a long time for housing market prices to drop. Housing market is also regional so different places will have different performance.
I have seen more price drops in this past week.
However these price drops are only for prices that were up significantly above the past few years.
RedFin saw 20% price reductions.
They are laying off 8% of their workforce due to slowing demand
https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/15/homes...ffs/index.html

Folks who sold their homes already did well. In a few months sellers will have to adjust their expectations a bit and ask for less. I still would not classify this as a price decline. It is just slower price appreciation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2022, 09:17 PM

18 posts, read 15,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticiam View Post
Even when economy slows down it takes a long time for housing market prices to drop. Housing market is also regional so different places will have different performance.
I have seen more price drops in this past week.
However these price drops are only for prices that were up significantly above the past few years.
RedFin saw 20% price reductions.
They are laying off 8% of their workforce due to slowing demand
https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/15/homes...ffs/index.html

Folks who sold their homes already did well. In a few months sellers will have to adjust their expectations a bit and ask for less. I still would not classify this as a price decline. It is just slower price appreciation.
Atlanta-based realtor chiming in: the market has definitely cooled in the past couple months, but mainly in terms of the number offers, amount over listing price, and waiving contingencies. Homes are still being priced high and are selling, but it's taking longer for them to sell. Buyers now don't have waive contingencies and offer crazy amounts over asking, at least for most properties. Inventory is slowly going back up, so theoretically prices should decline as well, though listings are taking time as well. Right now is actually not a bad time (not great) to buy as interest rates will only go higher.

Old 07-17-2022, 07:16 AM

We are still looking patiently. Interest rates don’t impact so we are waiting a bit. If we find a nice home at the right price we may move in November or December. As a last resort we will buy in Q1 2023 and move next summer. Atlanta prices have stayed high while many other markets have cooled down. Atlanta does make a lot of lists of overpriced housing markets. I think investors ought a lot of homes as the money was cheap to borrow. Once they slow down in their buying spree there may be declines.

Old 07-17-2022, 07:26 AM

416 posts, read 972,995 times
How much international money is flowing into the housing market? What has been the impact of having to compete with that?

Is that still a factor?

Old 07-17-2022, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban5 View Post
How much international money is flowing into the housing market? What has been the impact of having to compete with that?

Is that still a factor?
https://www.axios.com/local/atlanta/...tate-investors

Here they list 4 large investors who are buying up homes in Atlanta.

Old 07-18-2022, 11:13 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,709,041 times
Without a doubt, my realtor friends said there is a slowdown in housing. Partly seasonal, partly interest rates. That's not to say that it's not still a seller's market, but some of the "20 offers 50K over asking before it's goes on the market" edge has gone.

Old 07-19-2022, 05:30 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,982,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Without a doubt, my realtor friends said there is a slowdown in housing. Partly seasonal, partly interest rates. That's not to say that it's not still a seller's market, but some of the "20 offers 50K over asking before it's goes on the market" edge has gone.
How is it partly seasonal when the summer time is when most people are buying and moving? I've seen a lot of markdowns. They are a few markups but nowhere near the number it was earlier this year.

Old 07-20-2022, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
How is it partly seasonal when the summer time is when most people are buying and moving? I've seen a lot of markdowns. They are a few markups but nowhere near the number it was earlier this year.
Because in GA, many people start school on August first. Given real estate timelines, those moving to a new school district typically try and start the home purchasing process at the beginning of summer. Anyone (with small children) who has to buy now is going to have to navigate the school process. No parent wants to put their kid in one school for a month, then move and make them start in a new school only one month in if they can avoid it.

Old 07-20-2022, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Because in GA, many people start school on August first. Given real estate timelines, those moving to a new school district typically try and start the home purchasing process at the beginning of summer. Anyone (with small children) who has to buy now is going to have to navigate the school process. No parent wants to put their kid in one school for a month, then move and make them start in a new school only one month in if they can avoid it.
I agree with this. Schools in MN start after labor day. Since schools in GA start in early August, it will be tough for us to move before the school year begins. I had created this list as we looked for homes.

Georgia Forsyth Aug 4th
Georgia Milton Aug 8th
Georgia Johns Creek Aug 8th
Georgia Alpharetta Aug 8th
Georgia Marietta Aug 3rd
Georgia Gwinnett Aug 8th

My 10-year-old does not want to move mid-year as he does not want to be new kid in the class.
I empathize with him because moving to a new state is hard under any circumstances and moving in the middle of the school year makes it even more difficult for kids.

Old 07-20-2022, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticiam View Post
I agree with this. Schools in MN start after labor day. Since schools in GA start in early August, it will be tough for us to move before the school year begins. I had created this list as we looked for homes.

Georgia Forsyth Aug 4th
Georgia Milton Aug 8th
Georgia Johns Creek Aug 8th
Georgia Alpharetta Aug 8th
Georgia Marietta Aug 3rd
Georgia Gwinnett Aug 8th

My 10-year-old does not want to move mid-year as he does not want to be new kid in the class.
I empathize with him because moving to a new state is hard under any circumstances and moving in the middle of the school year makes it even more difficult for kids.
We moved from MN 4 years ago, so we are all too used to the post labor day start. Here, kids already have their first "fall break" the third week of Sept! When we moved, we missed the start of school by 7 days, but we only had a 5 year old at the time and thus the transition wasn't too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta