Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 09:40 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times

Advertisements

Now is the time to designate and modify a few East-West streets or thoroughfares to reach this new development hot spot from midtown, downtown, etc. besides riding on a future light rail line.

Look at Howell Mill, nothing has been done as years of development projects have made it almost a city unto itself.

The area around Chattahoochee Ave intersection is untenable. It has the worst throughput of any intersection, and what does QT do? build a big station right smack dab in the middle to make it even worse.

They need to build a couple of new ways to traverse that area quickly if for nothing more than for trucks carrying freight and food, etc.

Now is when the shovels should be digging, and no left turn phases should be in any of it either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2021, 10:12 PM

711 posts, read 681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Now is the time to designate and modify a few East-West streets or thoroughfares to reach this new development hot spot from midtown, downtown, etc. besides riding on a future light rail line.

Look at Howell Mill, nothing has been done as years of development projects have made it almost a city unto itself.

The area around Chattahoochee Ave intersection is untenable. It has the worst throughput of any intersection, and what does QT do? build a big station right smack dab in the middle to make it even worse.

They need to build a couple of new ways to traverse that area quickly if for nothing more than for trucks carrying freight and food, etc.

Now is when the shovels should be digging, and no left turn phases should be in any of it either.
Now would also be the time to look at enlarging the Bankhead Marta station and building an extension to Cumberland/Battery Park.

Also, Hollowell can't be the only access point into the Microsoft campus. There needs to be a new road off of Marietta Blvd. near the County Animal Services building that will relieve pressure from the Marietta/Hollowell intersection. I can already imagine the stream of cars from the S. Atlanta Road corridor from Smyrna into the city.

The other fix I would pursue is the abandoned bridge used for photo shoots at the intersection of Hollowell and Northside to connect with Marietta St. and potentially Tech Pkwy., which would give Microsoft a literal mainline connection into the talent at Georgia Tech that is drawing them to Atlanta in the first place.

Old 02-14-2021, 07:57 AM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times
The Bankhead station is already planned to be enlarged to accommodate 8-car trains. I believe the work is supposed to be done by 2023 or 2025 I can't remember which.

Old 02-14-2021, 06:12 PM

297 posts, read 271,127 times
This was good news for Atlanta. I live in Mableton so not too far so should help my property values. This is a good step in Atlanta becoming more of a tech sector.

Old 02-15-2021, 04:40 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:

I've long thought the Westside could be built up and add a lot of density. One reason is there is space to improve the arterial network. They need to work on that.

Old 02-15-2021, 05:39 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post
Now would also be the time to look at enlarging the Bankhead Marta station and building an extension to Cumberland/Battery Park.

Also, Hollowell can't be the only access point into the Microsoft campus. There needs to be a new road off of Marietta Blvd. near the County Animal Services building that will relieve pressure from the Marietta/Hollowell intersection. I can already imagine the stream of cars from the S. Atlanta Road corridor from Smyrna into the city.

The other fix I would pursue is the abandoned bridge used for photo shoots at the intersection of Hollowell and Northside to connect with Marietta St. and potentially Tech Pkwy., which would give Microsoft a literal mainline connection into the talent at Georgia Tech that is drawing them to Atlanta in the first place.
Tech in general could use a ton more connections to the Westside for both cars and pedestrians. The issue with the bridge connection to Marrietta is that development is in the way to connect it all the way to Tech Pkwy. Georgia Tech would need to redevelop their properties along Marietta (which I'm totally in favor of).

Old 02-15-2021, 06:27 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times
I doubt we'll ever see that bridge used as a vehicle connection, but I would 100% support that becoming a pedestrian only bridge with a spiral down to Means st. I wish the Westside Connector had a better connection to DLH. Maybe that new massive development north of DLH will have better connection between the trail and road.

Old 02-15-2021, 07:00 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
West midtown is the next big growth area, but have y'all ever driven on some of the "paved streets" over there?

A muddy, rutty, dirt road full of tree roots would be smoother.

I'd never seen anything like it over there.

I believe that sometimes decisions are based solely looking at maps without learning about an area.

I wonder if any of the CEOs of companies that moved their HQs here have any regrets because I contend that they don't yet know fully about how the state and city of Atlanta perform on average compared to where they left.

I say all that because just like with Ponce and Old Fourth Ward, the ambiance might not change even with the development and though I don't know it well, I would say the West side has some ambiance that's not good and might not ever change.

Old 02-15-2021, 08:04 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,019 times
Quote:
West midtown is the next big growth area, but have y'all ever driven on some of the "paved streets" over there?

A muddy, rutty, dirt road full of tree roots would be smoother.

I'd never seen anything like it over there.

I believe that sometimes decisions are based solely looking at maps without learning about an area.

I wonder if any of the CEOs of companies that moved their HQs here have any regrets because I contend that they don't yet know fully about how the state and city of Atlanta perform on average compared to where they left.

I say all that because just like with Ponce and Old Fourth Ward, the ambiance might not change even with the development and though I don't know it well, I would say the West side has some ambiance that's not good and might not ever change.
The ambiance of O4W has most certainly changed even with the remaining low income residents still on Boulevard. When developing in any city with extreme poverty and income inequality present, crime is going to be an issue (unless you want NYPD style policing with random stops and profiling of minorities). The issue is our terrible public infrastructure in Georgia as a whole. We don’t spend efficiently enough in areas that matter like healthcare for those with mental issues, homeless facilities, public schools in low income areas, improving regional universities and community colleges, and public transportation. These issues won’t change unless leadership in our state changes. Microsoft knows all of this so they apparently don’t see it as a concern compared to the benefits of the lower costs of business here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta