Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 05:04 AM

11,794 posts, read 8,008,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I hate that we have this mindset that malls have to be this huge structure with huge retail anchors when it doesn’t. North Point could easily be transformed into something just as good as Avalon with unique stores and restaurants. It being enclosed or open is irrelevant to the type of businesses it harbors. Ponce City Market is a pretty good example of this.
I kind of agree and disagree at the same time.

For the generic indoor shopping malls. Anchor stores are what draw the customer base and ultimately the smaller stores within the mall benefit from those customers as secondary shops.

For developments like Avalon, it is more so the environment (outdoors, good restaurants, and some people literally live there) that draw the customer base making it highly desirable for more unique stores. NorthPoint can have these things yes but at the point where we fulfill the requirements of which is seen at Avalon, we literally built an entirely different mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 10:07 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,361,554 times
North Point seems to be a VERY nice mall to me with great anchors like a largish Macy's and superior service Von Maur. There is nothing there to indicate it is in "trouble" Sear's has closed tons of stores throughout Georgia and the entire country; no reflection on North Point. Comparing it to the apocalypse that is Gwinnett Place is ridiculous. I even find Southlake down near me, to be fairly teeming with life comparably speaking, and it has lost three of its original four anchors.

Also, having a "suburban" outpost for the super high end stores uptown at Phipps Plaza/ Lenox Square (Neiman Marcus/ Sak's/ etc.) never seemed to have worked here in the past (Bloomingdale's failed at Peremeter, etc.) Having stores that "normal people" use makes far more sense.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:42 AM

492 posts, read 535,724 times
I don't think North Point is in trouble or anything. It is going through the usual pains that most of the malls in the nation are going through..

Old 06-25-2019, 11:18 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,212,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
It works at Natick Mall in Massachusetts. A North Point Mall equivalent. Even condos at the mall.

https://www.bostoncondos.com/condos/nouvelle-natick/

https://www.lrgboston.com/Nouvelle-natick

I think this is smart on North Point’s part. I’d attach a luxury hotel as well.

One of my retired family friends sold a big house in the posh suburb Wellesley to move into those condos at Natick Mall. They love it. They don't shop at the mall much but definitely walk it for exercise, especially during the cold winters.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:47 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedude404 View Post
Who wants to live at a 20 year old mall overlooking a parking lot? Physical retail is dying. Why beat a dead horse? Within 20 years that mall will be torn down to make way for more housing. It makes zero sense to invest in any mall at this point. The glory days of the mall are far, far gone.
Lenox, Phipps and Perimeter beg to differ.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:52 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,212,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Lenox, Phipps and Perimeter beg to differ.
Good point. Those 3 malls are still insanely packed on weekends.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:10 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
Exactly. Simon is in the process of spending $360 million on Phipps, Lenox is getting their 2nd hotel and a huge addition and revamp is supposedly in the works, Perimeter is getting an office tower and an A.C. Hotel. These are what the industry calls 'trophy malls,' and they're among the most successful in the Country.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:44 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,103,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
Same with Mall of Georgia. My kid works there and it’s always packed on the weekends, and many other days too.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:56 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,261,099 times
Mall of GA's main advantage is it's the farthest one out. Gets all the exurbs. The people/areas that used to have to go down to Gwinnett Place in the 80's for a true shopping mall.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:59 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,261,099 times
Not counting Lakeshore Mall in Gainesville, cause it's small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta