Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 09:32 AM

651 posts, read 477,281 times

Advertisements

If there is a "retail apocalypses" Lenox, Perimeter, Northpoint and Discover Mills hasn't heard of it. Especially not Lenox and Perimeter. As another as posters are pointing out most shopping still takes place in person and I personally know I'd *rather* buy many things in person like clothing because buying online can be a gamble these days. Online is essentially the wild west unless you go with trusted brands you are familiar with IRL and even then it's not perfect.

I recently went shopping for a bunch of new shorts due to this heatwave and loosing a bunch of weight in Lenox and that would have just been a mess to do that online without knowing how things fit and then having to return it all the stuff I didn't like etc. It's about quality of vs quantity when it comes to malls now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 10:08 AM

994 posts, read 502,837 times
WSJ has a paywall, but every city is hit by brands who have shut down or dramatically reduced their B&M stores.

Old 05-31-2019, 04:08 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,751,526 times
Even malls like Southlake and Greenbrier aren’t doing too bad. What matters is that the mall tries to cater to the surrounding community. Gwinnett Place, for example, didn’t do that.

Old 05-31-2019, 07:48 PM

37,898 posts, read 42,015,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Even malls like Southlake and Greenbrier aren’t doing too bad. What matters is that the mall tries to cater to the surrounding community. Gwinnett Place, for example, didn’t do that.
Gwinnett Place was the regional mall of its day but got displaced by Sugarloaf Mills and Mall of Georgia. It simply couldn't compete with those newer and bigger malls siphoning away its customer base, and when you lose your big department store anchors, it's pretty much a wrap.

Old 06-01-2019, 08:38 AM

994 posts, read 502,837 times
I guess I'm in the minority, but I think that it's sad that Sears couldn't survive. I found the store still useful and would shop at the Cumberland one at least a few times a year.

Old 06-01-2019, 10:17 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,719,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post
I guess I'm in the minority, but I think that it's sad that Sears couldn't survive. I found the store still useful and would shop at the Cumberland one at least a few times a year.
Sears is still around.

I know for certain the Arbor Place Mall location in Douglasville is still open.

Old 06-02-2019, 12:00 AM

770 posts, read 604,374 times
While it won't go anywhere completely, and is changing, Lenox Mall is looking a bit hairy, a lot of stuff has closed there in the past 2-3 months.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:17 AM

32,032 posts, read 36,823,708 times
The future of malls is to convert into mixed use centers. You can see that happening at Lenox and Phipps but they need to include more residential options.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:42 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,463,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post
What is sad is the aesthetic of these stores is gone. The stores are gone for obvious reasons, but the look and feel of the stores, and the experience of the stores, is what is missing. I don't miss the high prices, fact that stores may not have had an item in my size or any of the other dysfunction of these stores that go out of business. But I do mourn the experience of shopping there, if that makes any sense. How do you replicate the look and feeling of Woolsworth online?

Old 06-02-2019, 11:36 AM

23,483 posts, read 44,134,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
What is sad is the aesthetic of these stores is gone. The stores are gone for obvious reasons, but the look and feel of the stores, and the experience of the stores, is what is missing. I don't miss the high prices, fact that stores may not have had an item in my size or any of the other dysfunction of these stores that go out of business. But I do mourn the experience of shopping there, if that makes any sense. How do you replicate the look and feeling of Woolsworth online?
It does make sense, and I think you make a good point. European department and other retail stores seem to continue to thrive, and I think its because of they create a sense of excitement in the retail environment that our stores seem to lack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta