Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2024, 07:45 AM

502 posts, read 301,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Here's a man who's trying to buck our time-honored multi-generational approach to transit.
That's good he's trying to find other funds, but these are the same strategies Marta is already pursuing with sales tax funds. If Dekalb is serious about expanding transit they're going to need to bring money to the table, there are no shortcuts. Federal funds and private partnerships need matching local money to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2024, 09:08 AM

562 posts, read 783,696 times
It would also help if the actual state government would commit to properly funding the entity they control.

Old Yesterday, 01:22 AM

37,917 posts, read 42,135,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, I have ridden it several times and it seems jerky and bumpy to me, not a very smooth or comfortable ride. And maybe it's just my advanced age, but the stops didn't seem all that convenient either.

I would personally prefer a system with smaller cars that runs on rubber tires and makes smoother stops, more like a tram.
I'm pretty sure that's more a matter of operation than mode. And I wouldn't doubt that the smoothness of the ride, or the lack thereof, has something to do with the drivers and pedestrians the streetcar shares the road with.

Old Today, 06:48 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,299,945 times
Haven't had a chance to post, but I'm pretty excited that it at least sounds like there are (finally, after a frigging lifetime), going to be some actual new MARTA train stations, eventually, in the form of 4 infill stations around the Beltline. We'll see...

I like the idea that the Murphy Crossing station (and hopefully the Krog St station with the potential there with redeveloping Hulsey Yard), TBD with the others, will be planned/built with/integrated with a big commercial/mixed use development. Especially if that means that businesses with a stake in it could directly or indirectly help with the funding of the stations?

As always, there's so much potential with Atlanta and that rail system and actually building it out so that people could really use it a lot. But it seems like the opposition to improving it in a useful way is always a stronger voice in GA power circles & politics than the opposite, IMO smarter choice of embracing it, investing in it (public/private/whatever) and building stuff.

The idea that Cobb or Gwinnett are going to pay a 1% sales tax for transit (if those referendums even pass), to both not join MARTA, and not get any rail... it's like... huh? It's just sad and ridiculous. The time to act with transit infrastructure for that booming metro was in the 20th century, and the ball was totally dropped.

The value of new potential infill stations near popular attractions on the Beltline (along with the value/usefulness/utility of the existing rail stations, like Airport and North Avenue and etc.) would go WAY up, if the 6 million people of the metro (who mostly live in subdivisions scattered OTP), had better access points to those train lines. If the Gold Line had a station at Gwinnett Place (with its own mixed use development/mini-city thing), if the Blue Line had a station at Six Flags park (and maybe at Stone Mountain park on the other side), if the Red Line went up to Alpharetta like it should, and if there was a northwest line to Cumberland/Braves stadium, or an extension of the Green Line up to there.

Especially when it comes to the temptation of real estate developers to build TOD skyscrapers and stuff around the existing Midtown stations. Right now they might do it, but it would come with huge parking decks.

If the heavy rail system was just twice as extensive (like 70+ stations instead of 38), and extending into Fulton/DeKalb/Clayton/Cobb/Gwinnett as originally envisioned, with lots of OTP park & ride stations and such, then... ridership would probably be like 1000% higher. It's always been a half-built stub of a system. That's the sad part to me.

Anyway, I hope that good things happen in the future for that metro and transportation infrastructure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta