Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 04:15 AM

10,400 posts, read 11,582,472 times

Advertisements

The Georgia DNR (Department of Natural Resources) announced this month that it is bringing back the Coyote Challenge program that offers prizes to Georgia residents who use deadly force to kill coyotes.

Coyotes are found in large and growing numbers all over Georgia (including throughout most of Metro Atlanta) and throughout much of the nation after migrating east from their original natural habitat in the Western U.S. over a decade ago.

The Coyote Challenge runs from March through August. Georgia residents who participate in the challenge can enter one of three raffle contests to win a lifetime hunting license or the equivalent of $750 of credit for hunting and fishing licenses or a prize of similar value. Georgia residents can submit up to 10 entries with a photo of an intact coyote carcass.

Coyotes are very adaptable and can thrive in both urban and suburban environments. Because coyotes are not native to the state of Georgia, they can lawfully be hunted year-round.

Though coyote sightings are common in Metro Atlanta, direct interactions between humans and coyotes are rare. Coyote sightings and issues may be more common in a heavily-populated and developed area like Metro Atlanta than in outlying rural areas because of the significantly increased prevalence of food sources in a built-up area.

The Atlanta Coyote Project, which advocates for managing coyote populations without the use of deadly force, provides tips on how to deal with coyotes by making food sources (like trash cans) difficult to access and keeping pets indoors at night when coyotes are most likely to prey on them.

"Georgia looks to curb coyote population with prizes" (Gwinnett Daily Post)
Georgia looks to curb coyote population with prizes | News | gwinnettdailypost.com

Atlanta Coyote Project: "Scientific Research and Public Education Focused on Urban Coyote Populations"
Home - Atlanta Coyote Project
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 08:06 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,898,802 times
How do you cull the population without deadly force? Invite Dr. Kervorkian to administer a peaceful, pain free injection with their pups around the bedside?

But then again I grew up in the country where you took the dog behind the barn instead of spend money on a vet....

Old 03-13-2018, 05:05 PM

653 posts, read 530,792 times
Non native invasive species. Murder them all.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:22 PM

9,007 posts, read 14,100,501 times
Quote:
So are we. And we are much worse for the environment than coyotes.

And I tend to believe this guy:

Quote:
Mowry added that research shows that encouraging people to shoot coyotes increases their numbers. He explained coyote alpha males and females do the procreation and keep the subordinate coyotes in check. When more coyotes are removed from the population, nature kicks in. “Just trying to kill your way out of a perceived problem has unattended consequences,” he said. “In the case of coyotes, and other animals as well, it’s going to lead eventually to more coyotes because they will respond by producing larger litter sizes and it frees up subordinates to breed.”
The point is that coyotes pose absolutely no threat to us unless you leave your pets unattended outside, which you shouldn't do. If you have livestock, things might be a bit different...but then, just get a nice big dog that can protect the animals. Coyotes aren't that big, I would imagine they would back away from a scuffle with a large domestic farm dog.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:47 PM

16,731 posts, read 29,635,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post

But then again I grew up in the country where you took the dog behind the barn instead of spend money on a vet....

Ooooooooh...the East Cobbettes, the Dunwoody Housewives, the Buckhead Betties, the Alpharetta Gals, and the Eastside Atlanta Coalition for Organic Wild-grown Seaweed (EATLOWS) are gon' get you!

Old 03-13-2018, 08:13 PM

32,036 posts, read 36,911,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Now you are going to get me thinking about Old Yaller and getting all teary-eyed.

My concern is that I don't want a bunch of untrained yahoos shooting up the neighborhood. Why not try other wildlife management techniques?

Old 03-13-2018, 08:23 PM

11,889 posts, read 8,134,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Now you are going to get me thinking about Old Yaller and getting all teary-eyed.

My concern is that I don't want a bunch of untrained yahoos shooting up the neighborhood. Why not try other wildlife management techniques?
This... it's unbelievable the state would think of promoting something so idiotic as to let the public run amok with fire arms attempting to use deadly force for a prize - accident missing and possibly injuring someone else.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:38 PM

9,007 posts, read 14,100,501 times
I bet $100,000 more than 50% of Georgians can't accurately distinguish between a coyote and a German Shepherd from a distance of more than 20 feet.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:40 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,797,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I bet $100,000 more than 50% of Georgians can't accurately distinguish between a coyote and a German Shepherd from a distance of more than 20 feet.
I was thinking exactly the same thing—someone’s dog is going to get shot!

Old 03-13-2018, 08:46 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,240,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCM View Post
Wow...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta