Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 03:39 PM
bu2

24,149 posts, read 14,989,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH82 View Post
Once upon a time, there was an east-west interstate planned to run between Augusta, GA and Meridian, MS, by way of Macon, Columbus, and Montgomery to meet up with I-20 at both ends. There was also a north-south interstate planned to run from Savannah, GA to Knoxville, TN by way of Augusta and Toccoa to join I-75 in Knoxville. Not sure what happened to these proposals, but I'd prefer them to an Outer Loop.
Not really. They were way outside metro Atlanta. The interstate 3 N-S proposal was killed by those who didn't want a highway through the mountains. The I-14 proposal is alive. Its actually been signed in parts of Texas with the idea to continue to the east. Strategic Highway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 06:05 PM

16,733 posts, read 29,638,811 times
The originally proposed Outer Perimeter:
http://www.locationlocationlocation....county_map.gif

Old 08-13-2017, 06:10 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,529,499 times
I could possibly see the rationale of an interstate running from Greenville, SC connecting to Augusta nd then on to Savannah.. would offer an alternate route other than 95 and 75 for Florida traffic.. but there would be no need to build an interstate between Greenville and Knoxvilee, that would go straigh thru the smokey mountains.. and you already have I26 which extends from Greenville to Asheville and connects to I40 that connects to Knoxville and I75. And then I26 extends north from Asheville to Kingsport and connects with I81. and interstate parralleing I20 from Augusta to Meridian, MS is totally unnecessay. Its really not like I20 is heavily congested.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:37 PM

9,846 posts, read 7,306,432 times
It's never going to happen, in any form, and I'm not sure that it really should. What we need is to take cars off the freeway. To become less car-dependent. By implementing commuter rail, BRT on the freeways, whatever other mass transit.

Make 285 a bypass again. Take most of the local car traffic off of it, and have it handle the interstate travel and freight.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:03 PM
bu2

24,149 posts, read 14,989,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
It's never going to happen, in any form, and I'm not sure that it really should. What we need is to take cars off the freeway. To become less car-dependent. By implementing commuter rail, BRT on the freeways, whatever other mass transit.

Make 285 a bypass again. Take most of the local car traffic off of it, and have it handle the interstate travel and freight.
That is what they call in science fiction, a parallel universe!

285 from I-20 around the north to I-20 on the other side is very heavily congested and used to help get to most of our largest employment centers. Perimeter Center and Cumberland/Galleria are on 285.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:27 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,908,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
That is what they call in science fiction, a parallel universe!

285 from I-20 around the north to I-20 on the other side is very heavily congested and used to help get to most of our largest employment centers. Perimeter Center and Cumberland/Galleria are on 285.
Or a congestion / dynamic tolling.

Once our highways are collecting enough direct tolls to both pay to maintain our existing highways and fund a new outer bypass then it is worth talking about. But as of now, we aren't even funding our existing highways well.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:03 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,943,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
The originally proposed Outer Perimeter:
http://www.locationlocationlocation....county_map.gif
For the cost of that project, we could have built a new commuter rail network, extended MARTA, BeltLine transit, and Clifton Corridor.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post

Mass transit is really not viable for the northern suburbs and dealing with people trying to get from say Kennesay to Duluth. YOu have lots of jobs in the northern suburbs..not evenyone is commuting from the burbs to downtown...but the road system in Atlanta asumes that everyone does. There needs to be better east west connection for the northern suburbs..

Old 08-14-2017, 09:23 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,143,591 times
Nope. Gigantic waste of money that would have simply fueled sprawl (which was GDOT's main purpose for building it under the guise of "economic development").

Old 08-14-2017, 09:25 AM

I have said many times a northern arc should be a toll road. As much as I do not like toll roads, let the people who would use it pay for it. I remember there was a lot of opposition from state legislators outside of the metro Atanta region to the northern arc, because it was going to be a state funded project and felt like the rest of Georgia was being ignored in regards to highway infrastructure. This was mid 90s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta