Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 01:29 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,841,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Wrong. An economic boycott against large group(s) of businesses that does not serve nor respect a demographic or community is a very effective method of forcing change along with the coordination of active participation in the political system and community organizing.

See the Montgomery Bus Boycott as a prime example...
Montgomery is not an example. The boycott of the busses there were specific to the busses, which is why it was easier to organize and activate.

Planning a generic "economic boycott" actually doesn't make sense IMO either. You have to be specific to the organizations of which you want to change, like they did in Montgomery.

Also a generic "economic boycott" would mean you want businesses to do something/give in to demands....It is confusing IMO. How is that targeting police reform...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 02:31 PM

32,033 posts, read 36,837,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
So blacks are being racially profiled by.... Blacks ?
What's unusual about that? I'm sure it goes on all the time with all ethnicities.

We see people, we make assumptions. Hopefully, we are wise enough to understand that our preconceived notions may be totally off base, but nobody is immune from cultural influences and inferences. It's the water every single one of us swims in.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:13 PM

4,844 posts, read 6,113,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
the protest culture needs to learn from their 60's predecessors. Committing crimes and making like hard on people IS NOT the way to affect change. interrupting my lunch/brunch/parade/etc. IS NOT going to engender support for your cause.

Believe me, most people find the unjustified killing of ANYONE of ANY COLOR abhorrent, un-American, and inhumane. However, most people believe in law, order, and justice and don't automatically default to disruption and criminal destruction.

Peacefully demonstrate and I'll listen. Impede my progress or Infringe on my rights and I'm automatically against you and your cause.
Lowkey even MLK was arrested and Jailed just thought about that.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:47 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,238,026 times
Proof that CNN has virtually no connection to Atlanta any more -- MSNBC has been showing the protest march along the downtown streets for the past hour. I haven't seen any coverage on CNN.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:01 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,758,224 times
Not talking about the violence that happened last night in Dallas but just talking in general.....RIP to everyone who passed away last night

Violence has always been the American way to deal with violence. Even when 9/11 happened Bush wasnt like " lets march" he was like military get ready. Remember Pearl Harbor and how that ended? Im always shocked when people think other alternatives to violence will work. Violence in general is the fastest way to get results. Boycotts and Marches dont work or if it does work it takes too long to work. You just cant keep poking a bear and think nothing is going to happen. Just like if a slapped you right now. You arent going to start marching for me to stop. You gonna give me a warning and if a slap you again you will retaliate with violence. Its the nice thing to say is violence isnt the answer to combat against violence. Sure we want our kids not to have to resort to violence when in a problem. Sure we shouldnt have to use violence against violence but its the quickest way to end a problem generally speaking. I can even see as of today people have been more relaxed. Instead of blowing your horn or giving someone the finger people have just been letting stuff slide. You can let stuff side if you will not have that issue again but outside of that violence will fix a problem faster

Last edited by fieldm; 07-08-2016 at 05:23 PM..

Old 07-08-2016, 05:19 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,047,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillinthesouth View Post
Proof that CNN has virtually no connection to Atlanta any more -- MSNBC has been showing the protest march along the downtown streets for the past hour. I haven't seen any coverage on CNN.

I just saw an aerial of the protest outside CNN in Atlanta. It's not a huge crowd, looks like +-500 or so. CNN was showing the one at Piedmont Park yesterday too.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:31 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,238,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I just saw an aerial of the protest outside CNN in Atlanta. It's not a huge crowd, looks like +-500 or so. CNN was showing the one at Piedmont Park yesterday too.
The crowd winding along the streets looked much larger than that to me. Anyway, I just thought it was strange that MSNBC showed the protest around CNN center before CNN did.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:53 PM

925 posts, read 1,335,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Don't delete portions of my post which provided further insight into the fact that I think the blocking of the streets is pretty stupid to do anyway and then follow up with a silly question about "innocent" people being stuck in traffic.

Innocent people being killed by law enforcement IMO (and should be in more people's opinion) is more important than being stuck in traffic. Atlanta has terrible traffic anyway and people are used to being stuck on the freeway.
Lets protest infront of your drive way

Old 07-08-2016, 06:23 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,047,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillinthesouth View Post
The crowd winding along the streets looked much larger than that to me. Anyway, I just thought it was strange that MSNBC showed the protest around CNN center before CNN did.

I may be wrong...who knows. Don Lemon just said this protest isn't as large as the ones a couple of years ago...they've been showing it/talking about it for a few minutes now and it just doesn't look very large to me - not even a block long. Of course this is the one in support of police officers, or at least that's what was reported.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:26 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,758,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I may be wrong...who knows. Don Lemon just said this protest isn't as large as the ones a couple of years ago...they've been showing it/talking about it for a few minutes now and it just doesn't look very large to me - not even a block long. Of course this is the one in support of police officers, or at least that's what was reported.
I think the even that happened last night might have decreased the turnout of that is true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta