Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 10:30 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,447,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
An empty office building on Piedmont is undergoing a conversion to residential.
Post properties has proposed a massive apartment complex next to COP.
Flatiron building is getting remodeled as a tech hub, ScoutMob co-founder is transforming an unused building into a tech startup hub.
Underground Atlanta project.
New Falcons Stadium.
GSU Law Building.
GSU Student Housing.
GSU Graduate Student Center.
Atlanta Streetcar.
New hotel on Ivan Allen, next to GA Aquarium.
Peachtree Center Ave Cycle Track.
Right I didn't even respond as it was so obvious some haven't even been Downtown lately. Also add

The construction at 220 Peachtree into a hotel
Wal Green at Woodruff park
The GSU filmed center across from Woodruff $110 million donation
The Equitable Building Renovation
The Braves just opening a new restaurant on Peachtree
New retail on Edgewood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 10:31 AM

3,875 posts, read 4,703,581 times
cqholt
Given that you mentioned The Midtown Alliance, do you know anyone on staff there or have any contacts there?
I have been in sort of a fits and starts mode about coordinating bases & sources of power in the Midtown area to shake up the knucklehead(s) at the department at City Hall in charge of granting street closures who seem to willy nilly allow street closures specifically in the Tech Square area.
As for example, The Taste of Atlanta Festival occurs on Spring St. (which is closed to traffic for the event) every year & is already okayed to occur there again next October. The result may be a good time for the attendees but on the week days & weekend days when Spring St. is closed to commuter traffic, the rush hours are abysmally horrific. For me it's one of those "'I'm mad as hell and not going to take it anymore!" situations.
Another similar nighmare last year was when Spring St. was closed for a dance party festival. There has to be a better way to hold festivals in midtown than to close a primary commuting thoroughfare! If there were more route alternatives in and out of the area, it wouldn't create such a huge traffic nightmare.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:47 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,888,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
cqholt
Given that you mentioned The Midtown Alliance, do you know anyone on staff there or have any contacts there?
I have been in sort of a fits and starts mode about coordinating bases & sources of power in the Midtown area to shake up the knucklehead(s) at the department at City Hall in charge of granting street closures who seem to willy nilly allow street closures specifically in the Tech Square area.
As for example, The Taste of Atlanta Festival occurs on Spring St. (which is closed to traffic for the event) every year & is already okayed to occur there again next October. The result may be a good time for the attendees but on the week days & weekend days when Spring St. is closed to commuter traffic, the rush hours are abysmally horrific. For me it's one of those "'I'm mad as hell and not going to take it anymore!" situations.
Another similar nighmare last year was when Spring St. was closed for a dance party festival. There has to be a better way to hold festivals in midtown than to close a primary commuting thoroughfare! If there were more route alternatives in and out of the area, it wouldn't create such a huge traffic nightmare.
I do not, but events like those should be held in parks and public spaces.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:01 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,788,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I do not, but events like those should be held in parks and public spaces.
Real cities have them in the streets

Old 06-09-2015, 11:04 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,885,065 times
As someone that lived in Midtown I loved many of the events even if they brought street closures (and even I did not go to an event, I know others did). It all goes back to if Midtown should focus on serving commuters or residents. Luckily they have chosen to focus on residents in recent years.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:04 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,401,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Oh, I'm sure the city can find yet another rowdy crowded event to trash Piedmont Park.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:08 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,788,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Oh, I'm sure the city can find yet another rowdy crowded event to trash Piedmont Park.

It makes you want to explore the city more when you are walking around and find a street festival that you didn't know about.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:09 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,401,104 times
Quote:
It makes you want to explore the city more when you are walking around and find a street festival that you didn't know about.
Agreed. Was in Boston over the weekend. The little street festivals in the North End and Back Bay were really great. And, it was great to see how pristine the Boston Commons were.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:10 AM

32,032 posts, read 36,823,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Special event permits are handled by the mayor's office.

City of Atlanta, GA : Office of Special Events

Old 06-09-2015, 11:20 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,145,346 times
Quote:
Not often I agree with you on stuff, but this is the real deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta