Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 01:53 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,329,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I never complained about the Macy's building... merely said things must stay clustered near the convention spaces and hotels.

Edit: One follow up... I still dream the Macy's building could become a retail building again with the location on Peachtree St.

A long shot at this point though....
The first two posts on page 2 clearly state that this location is no good and that it should be next to the other museums. That's what brought me to this thread.

I keep agreeing with you, yet you won't stop with the "yeah, buts."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 02:43 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,804,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
The first two posts on page 2 clearly state that this location is no good and that it should be next to the other museums. That's what brought me to this thread.

I keep agreeing with you, yet you won't stop with the "yeah, buts."
I'm sorry... I'm not trying to pick on you or anything.

Re-read the post from ATLriseup and your follow up reply. It was left a little vague, but expressed interest in spreading things out throughout the city. He made it seem like things should be spread out more than walking distance... which I disagree with that overall concept. You could build this in Midtown and it won't do well.

In my follow up reply I stressed the walking distance to the hotels, which the location on Peachtree St is fine for.

I think we are on the same page, but we are misreading each other on other vague posts.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:52 PM

37,909 posts, read 42,125,501 times
Quote:
I'm sorry... I'm not trying to pick on you or anything.

Re-read the post from ATLriseup and your follow up reply. It was left a little vague, but expressed interest in spreading things out throughout the city. He made it seem like things should be spread out more than walking distance... which I disagree with that overall concept. You could build this in Midtown and it won't do well.

In my follow up reply I stressed the walking distance to the hotels, which the location on Peachtree St is fine for.

I think we are on the same page, but we are misreading each other on other vague posts.
Actually I could see this working quite well in Midtown, especially if it also included a live music venue to showcase various genres of music that were birthed and/or nurtured in the South, perhaps on weekends regularly and sometimes during the week.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Actually I could see this working quite well in Midtown, especially if it also included a live music venue to showcase various genres of music that were birthed and/or nurtured in the South, perhaps on weekends regularly and sometimes during the week.
Maybe

I can see the concept you're going for... its a more popular place for locals to go out and an entertainment venue could bring in more people, however for the exhibit space ($40 million worth) I think they would have hard time attracting enough unique visitors. Medium size attraction museum will probably have tickets in the $15-$25 range.

The live music venue could attract repeat visitors, particularly locals, but it would have different added expenses, pricing, and capital costs associated with it. I'm not sure how much that could really go to helping sustaining the operations (and costs and capital expenses) on the museum side unless people are willing to continually spend more money for both.

We also know music venues downtown do well, so even with a live music venue attached to it I'd think the facility could capture revenue and more visitors better downtown.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Maybe

I can see the concept you're going for... its a more popular place for locals to go out and an entertainment venue could bring in more people, however for the exhibit space ($40 million worth) I think they would have hard time attracting enough unique visitors. Medium size attraction museum will probably have tickets in the $15-$25 range.

The live music venue could attract repeat visitors, particularly locals, but it would have different added expenses, pricing, and capital costs associated with it. I'm not sure how much that could really go to helping sustaining the operations (and costs and capital expenses) on the museum side unless people are willing to continually spend more money for both.

We also know music venues downtown do well, so even with a live music venue attached to it I'd think the facility could capture revenue and more visitors better downtown.
No doubt it would do better downtown, but I also think it could work in Midtown. Location would have a lot to do with it.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:03 PM

605 posts, read 807,243 times
Shouldn't this be in Nashville? It seems equivalent to putting a Voodoo museum in Cleveland rather than in New Orleans...

Old 09-05-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Jolie-Pitt View Post
Shouldn't this be in Nashville? It seems equivalent to putting a Voodoo museum in Cleveland rather than in New Orleans...
A couple of cities could be an appropriate home for this type of museum; besides Nashville, there's NOLA and Memphis. However, Atlanta is an appropriate site as well. It was actually one of the epicenters of country music before the industry took root in Nashville. And in addition to the modern urban genres that have a heavy presence here, Georgia as a whole has produced many influential musical artists that have been trailblazers in their fields, such as Gladys Knight, Ray Charles, Otis Redding, James Brown, the Allman Brothers, Thomas Dorsey, etc. Combine Georgia's musical legacy with Atlanta's status as a huge Southern tourist hub, and you have all the justification you need for this museum's location in Atlanta.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 09-05-2014 at 07:46 PM..

Old 09-05-2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Jolie-Pitt View Post
I understand your reasoning, but this would likely not do as well in Nashville.

For the same reasons the College Hall of Fame moved here.

The same reason the NASCAR hall of fame didn't do well in Charlotte (that's as close to the middle of NASCAR country as you're going to get).

What these novelty/specialty museums need is a massive flow of unique new people with too much time on their hands. (The same reason the out-dated theater industry still thrives on Broadway)

Nashville has a great local music culture and it even brings in moderate amounts of tourism, but the amount of turnover of unique new individuals in the city is lower comparatively and can support only a limited amount of museums. They already have the rather large Country Music Hall of Fame and would likely face uphill battle to keep attendance high at both places and that is dedicated solely to what Nashville is known best for.

Now....
This is where cities like Atlanta, Chicago, and Dallas thrive. They are inland hubs. They have large convention centers and huge merchandise/tradeshow spaces that bring in tons of 'tourists' that are there for business or pleasure but attending a separate event. I know Atlanta and Dallas, especially, are not known as tourist destinations where people go out of their way to take family trips to do sight seeing....but they bring in huge amounts of 'tourists' through other means. They can thrive with many offerings, because the turnover of unique visitors is rather high. We keep building museums and attendance is often higher than projections.

Orlando and Las Vegas, of course, are the other two major draws for conventions. These cities have all the same qualities. The only caveat is its hard to compete with the large amounts of existing entertainment. These cities used investments in entertainment to draw in conventions. The previous cities have huge amounts of conventions/tradeshows and can use them to draw in entertainment.

Lastly... we shouldn't make the mistake of thinking southern music is only Nashville-Country music.

There are thriving music scenes all over the south from Keywest and the Gulf coast to Athens to Nashville to New Orleans to Atlanta's hip hop and R&B scene. We need to play tribute to all of them

The South played a roll in country, alternative, jazz, blues, classic rock, R&B, hip hop, and rap to various degrees.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:03 PM

I wonder if part of this new museum could house the Georgia Museum Hall of Fame collection since the state closed it in 2011.

It is a prebuilt collection, archive, and has a full list of inductees. It could easily play a part of a larger collection.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:03 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,430,511 times
I think Downtown Atlanta should get another museum to booster more tourism, and I do tend to side with y'all about putting it near the other museums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta