Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 08:06 PM

126 posts, read 200,012 times

Advertisements

Everytime I visit Atlanta and take I-285 (outer) I always pass by the old GM Assembly plant and is just fascinated by such a huge facility that is....empty.

What's the history behind this place and what was the economic impact this place left (when it was in business and when it went out of business), and what vehicles were made at this facility?

Has anyone shown interest in re purposing the facility?

Thanks for your answers. Its always sad to see that at one time this place (from my perspective) could have employed thousands and then it's deserted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 08:08 PM

924 posts, read 1,456,105 times
The Falcons originally talked about building a stadium there and I believe someone was in the process of buying it to turn it into a mixed-use development a few years ago but nothing ever came of it.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:52 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,260,759 times
There was some movement on it back at the beginning of the summer:

Quote:
Integral is supposed to finalize the acquisition Aug. 3, depending on the final outcome of the environmental investigation, he said.

Last fall, Atlanta Business Chronicle reported that Integral had worked out an agreement with General Motors that allowed an extended due diligence period on the site. GM has been asking about $60 million for the plant.

Egbert Perry has GM site under contract
Quote:
City officials have made a key zoning change that should add momentum for the redevelopment of the former Doraville GM plant.
The city has replaced the previous zoning on the 165-acre site with new guidelines that allow for an urban mixed-use project.
It opens the door for any developer vying for the site to create a master plan with a mix of uses, including office and residential. The previous zoning would not have allowed mixed-use.

Perry, chairman and CEO of Atlanta-based The Integral Group LLC, said his company could complete the acquisition of the 165-acre site by August. The site has been one of metro Atlanta’s most intriguing, since GM closed its plant in 2008 as part of a major restructuring.

Doraville GM plant redevelopment gains momentum - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Old 07-06-2014, 12:23 AM

32,023 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvlscrkeva View Post
Everytime I visit Atlanta and take I-285 (outer) I always pass by the old GM Assembly plant and is just fascinated by such a huge facility that is....empty.

What's the history behind this place and what was the economic impact this place left (when it was in business and when it went out of business), and what vehicles were made at this facility?

Has anyone shown interest in re purposing the facility?

Thanks for your answers. Its always sad to see that at one time this place (from my perspective) could have employed thousands and then it's deserted.
The plant had a massive impact on Atlanta. All those workers needed homes, grocery stores, cafes, you name it.

They made Buicks, Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles out there. The Cutlass is the one I remember most.

A guy I knew pretty well had Badge No. 6. He went to work the day they opened and stayed there over 30 years.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:42 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,999 times
It look like Integral is having funding problems and now looking for grants to proceed. It will be a miracle if the projects moves forward by Integral.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:47 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
It look like Integral is having funding problems and now looking for grants to proceed. It will be a miracle if the projects moves forward by Integral.
Yeah, they were hoping to do a TAD to fund the roads / bridges / infrastructure for the site but DeKalb Schools sunk that so this project is now on life-support.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:56 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
GM site developer may try Plan B for public funding | www.myajc.com

Old 03-29-2021, 06:36 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,380,112 times
Default Gray Television plans to buy Doraville's Assembly, create film and entertainment hub

Gray's plans for the more than 100 acres of Assembly it plans to buy include “film production studios and research and development,” according to the development authority’s agenda. A site plan for the first phase includes roughly 17 acres for at least 10 film studios. A separate building for eGaming, digital media and robotics is also planned..."

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...source=twitter

SOURCE: Dyana Bagby – Reporter, Atlanta Business Chronicle, Atlanta Business Chronicle

Old 03-29-2021, 08:10 AM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris1 View Post
Gray's plans for the more than 100 acres of Assembly it plans to buy include “film production studios and research and development,” according to the development authority’s agenda. A site plan for the first phase includes roughly 17 acres for at least 10 film studios. A separate building for eGaming, digital media and robotics is also planned..."

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...source=twitter

SOURCE: Dyana Bagby – Reporter, Atlanta Business Chronicle, Atlanta Business Chronicle

The film industry should concentrate on the southside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta