Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 06:43 PM

23,457 posts, read 44,061,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
True, but it wasn't a predominately black club in 1990...it was known as a levi/leather club back then and drew mainly a white clientele.
Well, welcome to 2014. It is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 10:02 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,030,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Well, welcome to 2014. It is now.
Okay...I guess you are being sarcastic, but he had specifically asked for black clubs that were around prior to 1990. I was just trying to help answer the question, not to correct you. Sorry if it came across the wrong way.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 06-23-2014 at 10:18 PM..

Old 06-23-2014, 11:16 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,909,481 times
Bulldogs became all black around the late 90s. Around 97

Old 06-24-2014, 12:37 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,544,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Bulldogs is the ONLY gay bar left on the Peachtree Street midtown corridor, and as far as I know the clientele is 95+ black -- though the last time I was there, the staff was all white.
It's one of the oldest gay bars around and I think the oldest in the city proper! I believe you're right also about it being the only one on Peachtree Road in Midtown, and when I think about it, I don't know of any others off hand directly on Peachtree. I'm not sure how the clients started out as or were up until the 90's, but I do know that by the 90's it had a large black following, and you could certainly say the trend has been for multiple decades for it to be a largely black based club.

I also like a previous poster mentioning Traxx. It, IMO, was the best predominately black gay club in the area (and if anyone has ever been there, you know it probably was the largest club period. OMG it was like being inside of Walmart). The owner's death around the time of Nikki Minaj's performance there was a horrible tragedy and has basically led to the death of the club. It closed it's old location and since has moved around at least once or twice to different locations, all being a significant downgrade and reduced experience to the former glory.

S/N: Anyone know if there's any history behind ATL Live (the club up somewhere on Buford Highway somewhere north of Clairmont Road)

Old 06-24-2014, 05:17 AM

23,457 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Okay...I guess you are being sarcastic, but he had specifically asked for black clubs that were around prior to 1990. I was just trying to help answer the question, not to correct you. Sorry if it came across the wrong way.
No you're right. Bulldogs did not begin its life as a predominately black club. That changed in the mid 90s

Old 06-24-2014, 10:18 AM

108 posts, read 227,746 times
Quote:
It has been a mostly black club for years now...I would say since the mid to late 90s. But there was always a little bit of a mixed crowd there from what I remember going back to the late 80s or so.

I found some information on The Marquette (not Marketta) located at 868 Simpson Street. I was way off on the name AND the location, although the current location may be different than in the past. I don't know how old this information is or if the club is still open.

"The Marquette has been open for over 45 years and ran by the same family. It is the Oldest known Black/Gay Club in the south. People from all over the world have heard of the World Famous Marquette aka The Sleezy Queezy. The club features a Talent show on Friday nights and 1st place wins $100 and invited to be on the Saturday night show with the cast."
Marquette Club in Atlanta, GA - Reviews and Directions

Wow, thanks for the help JoeTarheel, I lived in Atlanta for about 5 years and never heard of this club. (Marquette)

Luckily I was able to Google a picture so thank you very much!

Old 06-24-2014, 10:27 AM

Thanks EVERYBODY for all the great replies, I really do appreciate it!

Does anyone know if the picture I'm posting is Traxx? I got this picture from Google but It doesn't say Traxx? Or is this something new that is there now?
Attached Thumbnails
Was Loretta's the EXTENT of Atl's Black Gay History?-traxxx.jpg  

Old 06-24-2014, 03:55 PM

38 posts, read 91,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonnorman1814 View Post
Thanks EVERYBODY for all the great replies, I really do appreciate it!

Does anyone know if the picture I'm posting is Traxx? I got this picture from Google but It doesn't say Traxx? Or is this something new that is there now?
I'm not sure if this was Traxx, but IIRC - it was some gay club (Loretta's?). I think this building is near where a person walking from the Georgia Tech campus to the North Ave. MARTA station would emerge after exiting the pedestrian tunnel that goes under the Downtown Connector. I remember seeing this all the time in the early '90s - while on my way from campus to the MARTA station (I always passed this during its "off hours" - can't exactly remember whether or not I ran into any patrons.).

ETA: this seems to be confirmation that this building was once Loretta's - at 708 Spring St.:

http://www.404area.com/atlanta/midto...e/club-708.htm

Last edited by salemsally; 06-24-2014 at 04:09 PM..

Old 06-24-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salemsally View Post
I'm not sure if this was Traxx, but IIRC - it was some gay club (Loretta's?). I think this building is near where a person walking from the Georgia Tech campus to the North Ave. MARTA station would emerge after exiting the pedestrian tunnel that goes under the Downtown Connector. I remember seeing this all the time in the early '90s - while on my way from campus to the MARTA station (I always passed this during its "off hours" - can't exactly remember whether or not I ran into any patrons.).

ETA: this seems to be confirmation that this building was once Loretta's - at 708 Spring St.:

Club 708 | Atlanta - midtown atlanta | 404area.com

The address for the picture I posted is 714 South Spring Street Atlanta which is what I had as an address for Traxx. But I have found a completely different address on their facebook page?

2549 Gresham Rd SE, Atlanta, Georgia 30316

Then I saw a third one and figured I better hold off on that one.

Secondly, the picture I had for the old Loretta's I have attached. BUT IT LOOKS LIKE I'M WRONG!

708 and 714 seems to pull up the same club just like you said so now I'm really confused.

I'm going to contact them on facebook. Maybe they moved after the owner was killed a few years back. Will post an update when I clear this up.

Thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Was Loretta's the EXTENT of Atl's Black Gay History?-lorettas-atlanta.jpg  

Old 06-24-2014, 05:58 PM

200 posts, read 278,766 times
hey its cool your doing this project! This is a subject that i fantasize about all the time. Our history hasnt been told so kudos to you!

Ive partied in Atlanta A LOT over the years and the building in the first picture you posted is Lorettas/The Sequel/708. It changed names many times over.

The building was pretty large. I believe that second pic looks like the same building. I can remember that long line during pride going down the side of the building.

But yeah that first pic is definitely Lorettas/708.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta