Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 10:58 AM

572 posts, read 1,871,148 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a restaurant (one that does not require reservations or a dress code) that serves the dish shrimp and grits in the midtown, downtown, and old fourth ward areas. I go to Georgia State University and I live in the new dorms at the corner of Piedmont Ave and J.W. Dobbs Ave. I don't have a car and do not ride MARTA so I'm resticted to these areas.

I found a restaurant in downtown called the Sun Dial on Peachtree Street that serves shrimp and grits but they require a dress code. I am a southern boy from southeast Georgia (Claxton) and I'm not down with reservations or dress codes. Is there hope that I can find in Atlanta a real "southern restaurant":

A restaurant wear the men walk in wearing only a wifebeater, dirty steel-toe boots, raggedy Levi Jeans, and a John Deere Hat.

A restaurant where there are big women who wear booty shorts and a small t-shirt with their gut stickin' out, and you can see their stretch marks.

A restaurant where there are bad kids running around and their mom is yellin "sit down 'fore ya'll break something in this restaurant!! Ooh sweet baby Jesus please don't let me kill these children!"

A restaurant where men argue over which is the best truck: Ford Vs. Chevy

Atlanta is feeling and becoming less southern, but I guess it's for the better. Anyway, does anybody know of some "southern" restaurants that serve shrimp and grits.

p.s. these are just jokes, i'm not trying to offend anybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 08:23 PM

43 posts, read 258,391 times
Hi,

Cute jokes

It would probably be difficult to find a place like that because Atlanta isn't really a southern town anymore but check out Welcome to AtlantaCuisine.com

Old 11-25-2007, 10:12 AM

Thank you btrfly414 for the information. It is much appreciated.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:34 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
Learn to use MARTA! It will expand your horizons greatly.

Old 11-25-2007, 05:52 PM

96 posts, read 405,595 times
Default Here you go...

09/09/07 FOODLEAD: Mouth of the south > SundayPaper.com > The Sunday Paper :: All you need to know. (http://www.sundaypaper.com/More/Archives/tabid/98/ArticleType/ArticleView/ArticleID/552/Default.aspx - broken link)

A couple places that are not listed are:
1. Hueys on P'tree. Very good Shrimp and Grits, but they are only open breakfast and lunch.

2. Corner Tavern In Little 5 Points. Opening a location soon in the Auburn District.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:31 AM

Thanks for the info JBnC.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:57 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,912,112 times
Try Harlem Bar, it's walking distance on Edgewood and Jackson Street a few blocks away from your dorm.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:26 AM

17 posts, read 60,195 times
Wink Get on the Train or Get a Flexcar membership

I love South City Kitchen, great shrimp & grits and everything else. Take Marta to Arts center and it is a nice walk. www.southcitykitchen.com

For just good Southern food:

Mary Mac's www.marymacs.com/Default.aspx?tabid=55

The Colonnade atlanta.citysearch.com/profile/3015361

Expand your transportation options soon it's easy, you won't regret it.

Marta - www.itsmarta.com
Flexcar - www.flexcar.com

Old 06-23-2011, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 3,422 times
VICKERY's RESTAURANT...in Atlanta has the absolute BEST Low Country Grits with shrimp, andoullie sausage, crawfish, scallops over grits with their brown gravy that is absolutely the BEST single dish on planet earth! I live in Tampa and ALWAYS plan at least one meal at Vickery's for their Low Country Grits dish. You'd better come hungry because the plate and amount of food will be more than you can eat. The restaurant is a casual, restaurant-bar atmosphere in an old converted house. The house is actually rumored to have belonged to a friend of Margaret Mitchell (Author: Gone With The Wind) and where Margaret Mitchell actually partially wrote the famed book. In Atlanta...this is a MUST for a great dinner.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:45 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerjeff View Post
VICKERY's RESTAURANT...in Atlanta has the absolute BEST Low Country Grits with shrimp, andoullie sausage, crawfish, scallops over grits with their brown gravy that is absolutely the BEST single dish on planet earth! I live in Tampa and ALWAYS plan at least one meal at Vickery's for their Low Country Grits dish. You'd better come hungry because the plate and amount of food will be more than you can eat. The restaurant is a casual, restaurant-bar atmosphere in an old converted house. The house is actually rumored to have belonged to a friend of Margaret Mitchell (Author: Gone With The Wind) and where Margaret Mitchell actually partially wrote the famed book. In Atlanta...this is a MUST for a great dinner.
Um...CLOSED, don'cha know.

Vickery's Bar & Grill - Midtown - Atlanta, GA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: