Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 09:19 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,241,774 times

Advertisements

Georgia bids to land SpaceX base in Camden County | www.ajc.com

Private company SpaceX is looking for a site to launch rockets into space. This company has been supplying the international space station since they cancelled the shuttle program. Apparently the proposed site already has a runway and was set up for rocket testing in the past.

Could be a very interesting and cool addition to the state. There are signs that the private space industry may really pick up in the future.Being that Camden County, the proposed site, is closer to Jacksonville that Atlanta, they may see more of the benefit. But Atlanta may be more attractive to set up shop as far as a corporate environment goes.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:56 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,881,248 times
This would be an awesome win! I love SpaceX!

Old 03-28-2013, 07:35 PM

858 posts, read 1,385,949 times
I'm sure that wouldn't affect Atlanta in any way, but it would still be awesome

(it could definitely help the state's image a bit)

Old 03-28-2013, 08:17 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,878,856 times
i think it's an excellent idea to have private companies funding space exploration, with adequate government safety oversight of course. however, is anyone aware of the environmental impact on the area? my family is from the georgia coast, and while i'd love an economic boost, those who are not familiar with the georgia coast don't really understand the area— the environment is absolutely beautiful— islands are covered in subtropical jungles, the miles of cordgrass, etc. i would hate for it to affect the local ecology.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:20 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,878,856 times
oh, by the way, erick (hey are you the erick from GPC?) is correct. those who are not familiar with georgia do not understand how large georgia truly is— for example down around st. mary's is easily a 6 hour drive from atlanta. georgia is the largest state east of the mississippi. it would probably be a bigger boost to jacksonville, gainesville (FL) and orlando than it would be to atlanta. for a good comparison, chicago to st louis, or philadelphia to boston, are both shorter drives than atlanta to st mary's.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:35 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,069,641 times
Funny coincidence. I was just watching a TV episode on Elon Musk earlier tonight before I stumbled on this. Interesting character, that one.

Anyway, landing a spaceport could certainly help secure Georgia as one of the frontrunners for what will almost certainly one day be an explosive industry (pun intended). How long away that day is, who knows.

There's still a lot to be done before this industry really takes off to the same level as the airline industry though.

We need to move away from chemical propulsion (burning rocket fuel) and into other options for interplanetary travel to really become feasible. Researchers are developing what's called the "Variable Specific Impulse Magnetoplasma Rocket" (VASIMR) which could get people to Mars much more quickly (1/4 the time) and help shield the occupants from radiation to boot! Instead of burning fuel, it ionizes it creating a plasma. Nuclear powered rockets are also on the horizon.

Sustained weightlessness for months or years at a time is also very bad for bone density and muscle mass so creating some sort of artificial gravity either via some sort of device or a giant, walkable centrifuge needs to be done. We don't want to get to Mars and then not be able to stand up!

Eventually though, space travel is going to become mainstream and vacations to the Moon or Mars will be possible - though probably not in our lifetimes.

Last edited by Adric; 03-28-2013 at 08:47 PM..

Old 03-28-2013, 09:41 PM

7,360 posts, read 6,532,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i think it's an excellent idea to have private companies funding space exploration, with adequate government safety oversight of course. however, is anyone aware of the environmental impact on the area? my family is from the georgia coast, and while i'd love an economic boost, those who are not familiar with the georgia coast don't really understand the area— the environment is absolutely beautiful— islands are covered in subtropical jungles, the miles of cordgrass, etc. i would hate for it to affect the local ecology.
Kennedy Space Center sits in the middle of the Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge and is much larger than this site SpaceX is looking at. This site also previously hosted rocket-oriented activities so it probably won't affect things all that much.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:47 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,935,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Georgia bids to land SpaceX base in Camden County | www.ajc.com

Private company SpaceX is looking for a site to launch rockets into space. This company has been supplying the international space station since they cancelled the shuttle program. Apparently the proposed site already has a runway and was set up for rocket testing in the past.

Could be a very interesting and cool addition to the state. There are signs that the private space industry may really pick up in the future.Being that Camden County, the proposed site, is closer to Jacksonville that Atlanta, they may see more of the benefit. But Atlanta may be more attractive to set up shop as far as a corporate environment goes.
WHY MUST EVERYTHING "BENEFIT" ATLANTA?!?!

Georgia is a huge state and good things are happening all over. This "what's in it for me" stuff is ridiculous.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:19 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,899,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
WHY MUST EVERYTHING "BENEFIT" ATLANTA?!?!

Georgia is a huge state and good things are happening all over. This "what's in it for me" stuff is ridiculous.
Even thought Georgia is a massive state most people only see Atlanta. Most likely if someone is visiting Georgia they usually go to Atlanta. Most people from other states do not know any other parts of Georgia.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:34 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,935,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Even thought Georgia is a massive state most people only see Atlanta. Most likely if someone is visiting Georgia they usually go to Atlanta. Most people from other states do not know any other parts of Georgia.
No. Try again.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta